VLC media player and Windows Vista

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Video_Lan_Cool
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLC media player and Windows Vista

Postby Video_Lan_Cool » 02 Dec 2007 15:40

I have a Question.
Can Videolan produce more Skins (modern how Vista) and plugins? :?:
Or gives other infos? :D

solowkey
New Cone
New Cone

Postby solowkey » 04 Dec 2007 17:21

hi,

can someone tell me if the A/52 audio device option shoudl wokr in Vista ?

I have this working fine in XP but with the same DVD or DTS audio file the A/52 device option does not appear in Vista.

has this controllmoved or is it not supported in Vista ?

very frustrated and confused

Thanks

almouto
New Cone
New Cone

Postby almouto » 09 Dec 2007 10:43

Hello,

I just baught a new laptop with vista on it and it seems that i have a problem.

everything read with vlc seems to be in a very low definition. it does it with divx but also with a program that uses vlc to watch TV.

For example a caps done with vlc compared with one with wmp :

vlc :

wmp :

I tried to fix it myself but ran out of solution. could someone help me on this one.

Thank you.

narvf
New Cone
New Cone
VLC version: 0.8.6d
Operating System: WinVista/Ubuntu

Postby narvf » 09 Dec 2007 17:35

Hey. I don't know if that will fix your problem. On my PC i had pixelized video in VLC, not in other players. So i simply changed image(? i'm not using English version) output to DirectX, restarted the player and now it works ok.

almouto
New Cone
New Cone

Postby almouto » 09 Dec 2007 19:45

Thank you its effectivelly makes it a lot better.

But the quality stays a lot more better with wmp with which the video is a lot more "sharp".

Lawsy
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Lawsy » 10 Dec 2007 10:04

So i love using VLC its my favourite player as it plays everything in great quality and i had no problems what so ever when i used it when i had XP but now that i have Vista i have a huge problem.

Ive got Vista home premium and the latest version of VLC installed but when i try to play .avi files i get sound but no picture. Ive tried nearly everything other people have suggested. ive changed video output setings it does nothing. However if i change my video output to Directx i can view FLV but it doesnt help me play .avi. When i play a .avi file i get sound with a black screen and depending on the setting when i pause the video and then press play again you get about a second of the video but thats it it freezes on that frame and because of that the audio is ahead of the video. Ive tried everything i can think of and nothing seems to work. Anyone got any ideas????

Bryan_See
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Bryan_See » 11 Dec 2007 15:58

Hi,

I'm having the same problem. When I try to play media files (FLVs in particular) in the playlist on Vista, I've got two application crashes as described below:
Product
vlc.exe

Problem
Stopped working

Date
11/12/2007 22:43

Status
Not Reported

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: vlc.exe
Application Version: 0.8.6.0
Application Timestamp: 4675098d
Fault Module Name: msvcrt.dll
Fault Module Version: 7.0.6000.16386
Fault Module Timestamp: 4549bd61
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 000651f0
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1086

Files that help describe the problem
Version.txt
AppCompat.txt

Product
vlc.exe

Problem
Stopped working

Date
11/12/2007 22:47

Status
Not Reported

Problem signature
Application Timestamp: 4675098d
Fault Module Name: libvlc.dll
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 4675098d
Exception Offset: 0001a7cf
Locale ID: 1086
Additional Information 1: fa1e
Additional Information 2: 4e9621cc65cb30127dc4b75688db82d4
Additional Information 3: 47e2
Additional Information 4: 46e9f0e0b66e3dad3993e4e1fcd15b8b

Files that help describe the problem
Version.txt
AppCompat.txt
memory.hdmp
minidump.mdmp
Have anyone got the ideas on how to provide solution to these aforementioned problems?

Bryan_See
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Bryan_See » 13 Dec 2007 05:17

But, why guys are ignoring this message saying about two bugs encountered using VLC player in Vista?

fullonshred
New Cone
New Cone

Postby fullonshred » 20 Dec 2007 10:02

Hello everyone. First post here, sorry it is a complaint. My System Info is in my Sig. I love VLC 0.8.6d, but I'm encountering a vexing problem under Vista Premium. Playing back DVDs and also Disc Images I am experiencing a video/audio hesitation or lag about every 30-35 seconds or so. It is killing the use of this program for me. All my settings in VLC are Default, and I did delete the Cache/Settings from the previous version upon install of the 0.8.6d version. I also had the same problem with Version 0.8.6c, which was the first Version I installed on my new computer. I especially like the fact that VLC will playback my Disc Images and would like to get this sorted out. Thank you for any help. ....... '

shred
Windows Vista Premium : Intel DG965OT Motherboard : Intel Q6600 QuadCore Processor@2.4ghz. : Hitachi 400GB SATA 3.0 Hard Drive 8mb Cache : 3GB Samsung DDR2 667 Memory : BFG 7950GTOC 256mb Graphics Card DVI Out : Olevia 27" LCD Monitor @ 1366x768 HDMI In : RoseWill DVI to HDMI Conversion Cable: Sigma Tel Onboard HD Audio

fullonshred
New Cone
New Cone

Postby fullonshred » 22 Dec 2007 05:32

Lively forum here. I addressed the problem another way. I DL'd a freebie called Gizmo Drive 2.5.3 from download.com. It creates Virtual Image Drives. I just load my ISO Image into a Virtual Drive, open Power DVD, select that Drive Letter, and hit play. Now my ISO Images play with ZERO lagg. :D

http://www.download.com/Gizmo-Drive/300 ... ?tag=lst-7
Windows Vista Premium : Intel DG965OT Motherboard : Intel Q6600 QuadCore Processor@2.4ghz. : Hitachi 400GB SATA 3.0 Hard Drive 8mb Cache : 3GB Samsung DDR2 667 Memory : BFG 7950GTOC 256mb Graphics Card DVI Out : Olevia 27" LCD Monitor @ 1366x768 HDMI In : RoseWill DVI to HDMI Conversion Cable: Sigma Tel Onboard HD Audio

Freak
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Freak » 23 Dec 2007 22:35

I'm using latest SVN Nightly build, and i cannot save the preferences i edit, for example "Playlist Repeat Forever" or "DirectX Output"
save the preferences, restart VLC and it still set as default settings, it will save the settings per session, just not after i quit...

I just (down)graded from XP64 to Vista x64. Any ideas, i have disabled driver signing and am using Admin login.
Anyone else had this?

checker
New Cone
New Cone

Postby checker » 27 Dec 2007 03:38

I'm using latest SVN Nightly build, and i cannot save the preferences i edit, for example "Playlist Repeat Forever" or "DirectX Output"
I am having the same problem with the svn nightly from last night. I found a workaround that's totally cheesy...go to Documents and Settings/username/ApplicationData/vlc in explorer (or a cmd prompt), launch vlc, set the settings you want, hit Save, then make the vlcrc file read only (right click, properties, check Attributes read only at the bottom of the page). This way vlc can't stomp the settings on save (which is what appears to be going wrong).

Chris

cokilan
New Cone
New Cone

Postby cokilan » 28 Dec 2007 14:56

hello
no problem vlc :D

alexboy
New Cone
New Cone

Postby alexboy » 02 Jan 2008 13:35

i came from France and my friends can use the freebox(a company name which provided the web service) watch TV on computer by VLC.
AFAIK,they all use XP but my system is VISTA and I can't use VLC for watch TV.
the message told me like this: 'm3u EXTVLCOPT parsing is disabled for security reasons. If you need it and trust the m3u playlist you are trying to open, please append --m3u-extvlcopt to you command line.'
then 'no data received in 10s, aborting'
how can i do ? thanks!

sn0skier
New Cone
New Cone

Postby sn0skier » 11 Jan 2008 21:05

Every file type is playing too fast. No other programs are having the same problem. This happened after I downloaded some updates from Microsoft, except that every program, including system sounds, were played too fast. I reloaded windows because I was having some other problems too, and everything was working fine, but I stupidly put auto-updates on, because I couldn't figure out how to install them manually. The problem came back as soon as the updates kicked in, so I rolled back all the updates and now everything works except VLC. I tried reinstalling VLC and deleting all preferences when I did it, but no luck.
Vista Business 32 bit. AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+ 2.30 GHz. 2 gigs PQI ram.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 12 Jan 2008 00:06

overclocking?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

enrylion
New Cone
New Cone

Postby enrylion » 26 Jan 2008 12:40

Hi to everybody, I'm newbe of this forum...and sorry for eventual not perfect english, but every day I speak/write in italian, and so...

Well, let's come back to us, VLC...

I love tihs program, but starting from some precedent version I have appreciate some little big problems...

When playn' MP3 playlist files, or I'm playng some more files creating a playlist..very often (not to say always... :| ) VLC crashes...

I'm using win vista and new "d" release of this application, but on other machine with XP installed and precedent version, and actual version I appreciate the same problem...

The problem is not functional to directory 'cause all file are in the same ntw directory, or folder, with no strange character (only normal alphanumeric or numeric, any special char..)

The crasher happens even I take playlist open (after firt two songs..) or playlist closed (some more songs it keeps strong...).. The moment happening crashes is in the step between songs..

I tried to search forum on this topic, but I didn't appreciate any topic regaring similar questions...

Playing video playsists I don't know any questions, is rare I look video playlists..

Thank to everybody for help...the alternative to VLC is..win media player or winamp or other programs...but I don't wanna think other solutions... :oops:

ette
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ette » 28 Jan 2008 03:05

Hello,
in a previous Vista -VLC thread I saw a question posted by user england, but no reply to it. I have the same problem: no menu, it's blank. There is sound, there is video, everything is ok. but I feel uncomfortable to rely on my intuition when using menu. How can it be solved? Thank you

sekander
New Cone
New Cone

Postby sekander » 08 Feb 2008 11:55

I cannot view an XVID Caph avi video I downloaded (Lost o4 o1). I can view other XVID avi files but not this one. I click on the file and the progress bar goes across in 5 seconds with no video and no sound. It took almost a week to download it so I know its not a 5kb decoy.
I am running Vista Home Premium on Lenovo 30000 N100 and have never had a problem with torrents before.
The help file attached said I might have to rename it to rar file but I was unable to do that.

PrinceTroy
New Cone
New Cone

Postby PrinceTroy » 09 Feb 2008 23:20

I got VLC For Windows Vista and it seems to crash when i add things to the playlist while it plays. (this sometimes dont happen but most offten it dose)
and from time to time while its playing videos or music while ending and going to the next on the playlist it crashes. i have the problem detetails from the crash. hope it helps. i got nothing other really to show from the issue.
Problem signature:
Application Timestamp: 474fd420
Fault Module Name: StackHash_e132
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
Exception Offset: 45f0e0d7
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: e132
Additional Information 2: 3f0e5798897effa938b39d4d57470dca
Additional Information 3: ed01
Additional Information 4: 6eaf7895286dab0fbe82bf92b6a1cfe8
p.s.
i did a little reading and obove the posted by enrylion sounds simlar crashing while changeing the playlist (changeing playlist for music or videos it happens)
and while it play through the playlist it happens but not as offten as adding.

enrylion
New Cone
New Cone

Postby enrylion » 10 Feb 2008 21:14

I got VLC For Windows Vista and it seems to crash when i add things to the playlist while it plays.

(omissis...)

p.s.
i did a little reading and obove the posted by enrylion sounds simlar crashing while changeing the playlist (changeing playlist for music or videos it happens)
Hi PrinceTroy, yest...our problems sounds similar...unfortunatly for us...and even unfortunatly no answer about my/our/many other users problems...

:( :| :twisted:

Just one question: how did u make the error code output?? By Windows, like (on Win Xp) "Show Events"?? :?:

Thanks...

PrinceTroy
New Cone
New Cone

Postby PrinceTroy » 10 Feb 2008 22:57

I got VLC For Windows Vista and it seems to crash when i add things to the playlist while it plays.

(omissis...)

p.s.
Hi PrinceTroy, yest...our problems sounds similar...unfortunatly for us...and even unfortunatly no answer about my/our/many other users problems...

:( :| :twisted:

Just one question: how did u make the error code output?? By Windows, like (on Win Xp) "Show Events"?? :?:

Thanks...

When my Crash it simple pops up the box and i hit the drop arrow. then there the error codei just copy and pasted it. if yours is crashing and not showing it. the services for that maybe disabled. don ask ho to reenable it i dont remember. i wanna say its in the windows services and needs to be truned on from there.
but other whys by default it should show the "Check Online For solution" and the close button and a drop arrow. the drop arrow shows the error detail.

kaveldun
New Cone
New Cone

Postby kaveldun » 18 Feb 2008 18:20

I just tested VLC 0.8.6d on Windows Vista x64 SP1.

In default output mode, the image gets blocky as seen in the screenshot on the first page of this thread - fortunately OpenGL fixes. However, the black levels are wrong in both modes. It seems they don't convert to RGB correctly so black is currently 16 and white 235, making it look washed out.

Is there any easy workaround for this?

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I have a ATI Radeon 1950XT 512mb with the latest Catalyst drivers (8.2).

EDIT2: I just saw the "Use hardware YUV-RGB conversions" switch under DirectX. Disabling that and setting output to Direct3D fixes all my problems. Woho! :D

enrylion
New Cone
New Cone

Postby enrylion » 22 Feb 2008 14:11

Well...that's good this forum....everyone (Me included...) posts his problems with vlc, but...anyone solves it or gives info to solve the problems unfortunatly... :roll: :cry:

skarex
New Cone
New Cone

Postby skarex » 03 Mar 2008 12:56

hey i just wanted to ask, if vlc supports wallpaper mode playing for mkv files ??
I have win vista home premium with a moderate rig, my graphic card's 3.1 rating.
if yes, do help me on activaing it, cozdoesn't appear on my right click menu
Those whom we love are often the most alien to us - Christopher Paolini

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”