VLC Not Playing Youtube Streaming Videos

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Hitchhiker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.17.4
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Re: VLC Not Playing Youtube Streaming Videos

Postby Hitchhiker » 04 Nov 2020 10:02

This and all fixes like it haven't been working for me. The video I wanna stream pops up for less than a second and then immediately disappears without any error message. Link to video in question: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7takIh1nK0s I have tried both this one and the "share" link neither work and they both do the exact same thing as described above.

This is an age restricted video. There's no way that vlc can bypass that kind of restriction.

(click to enlarge)

More often than not it's just the channel trying to identify users by forcing them to sign in to youtube to view a video.

Lost-Tresure
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Lost-Tresure » 04 Nov 2020 11:11

This is an age restricted video. There's no way that vlc can bypass that kind of restriction.

(click to enlarge)

More often than not it's just the channel trying to identify users by forcing them to sign in to youtube to view a video.
Hu kinda strange this is the only one with it considering their other videos. Guess I'll have to figure something else out. Thanks for the help and quick reply anyway!

Hitchhiker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Hitchhiker » 04 Nov 2020 11:29

Lost-Tresure
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Lost-Tresure » 04 Nov 2020 13:21

Yeah that I wasn't confused about. (I'm in my mid twenties it's irrelevant when it's just me watching) I was just confused out of all the videos this mild one would be the one to not be streamable through vlc by having that restriction. When way more questionable ones works just fine. Honestly I just can't work with Youtube they removed all the features that made playlists usable for me years ago and have just continusly made the site more ableist since (especially with the complete lack of care for unskippable screamer/thriller/jumpscare ads around Halloween) and since I won't get another chance I'll just have to make an exception for rewatching this video and hope nothing too bad gets thrown in my face.

Hitchhiker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Hitchhiker » 04 Nov 2020 14:22

You can maybe experiment with the suggestions on this site: https://silicophilic.com/watch-age-rest ... n-youtube/

I tried all the URL combinations on vlc, but none of them work. But maybe you can access the movie on yt using one of the suggestions without having to sign in.

Lost-Tresure
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Lost-Tresure » 04 Nov 2020 14:34

You can maybe experiment with the suggestions on this site: https://silicophilic.com/watch-age-rest ... n-youtube/

I tried all the URL combinations on vlc, but none of them work. But maybe you can access the movie on yt using one of the suggestions without having to sign in.
Thanks I'll try it out

tehbilbo79
New Cone
New Cone

Postby tehbilbo79 » 10 Feb 2021 09:30

I realize that many people might have issues with the machine OS, setup or configuration.

But I'd just like to thank those who take their time to help us by keeping the script up to date. It works on 3.08 and 3.011 over here, and I am pretty damn grateful for it tbh.

filadaputa
New Cone
New Cone

Postby filadaputa » 14 Aug 2021 22:45

had same problem today. VLC v3.0.8
after searching this forum:
First I uninstalled VLC completely
Installed latest nightly build (v4.0.0) -> http://nightlies.videolan.org
I took "youtube.luac" file from this build -> saved to different folder
reinstalled version 3.0.8 and copied luac file from nightly build

and converting / streaming works for me.
Misinformation. Not even the latest nightlies can play streaming video anymore

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”