Blu-Ray Support

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.

Cyber Akuma
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Blu-Ray Support

Postby Cyber Akuma » 25 Aug 2022 17:36

I had seen that first thread when attempting to figure this out, the other two are new.

Still confused what they are saying though. Are they saying that due to me having attempted to play a newer 4K movie on VLC, all of my 4K keys got revoked and now no 4K movie will ever work anymore on this drive? Because when my newer movie didn't work I tried playing a movie from 2018 and I still got the same error.

chane
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Why No 1080p BD Movie Playback?

Postby chane » 10 Sep 2022 17:56

VLC is the only player I know of which has both zoom and slow motion features, which I really enjoy using when playing scenes from good quality commercially pressed DVD movies.

But playing 1080p BDs has so far been impossible for me. I just tried playing Criterion Collection's "Gilda" (1946) but got error message: "VLC is unable to open the MRL 'dvd:///D:/'. Check the log for details." Same thing happened when I tried playing Olive's "She Devil" (1957) and Warner's "Time Machine" (1960).

I am running Windows 10 pro version 21H2, build 19044.1889, Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4180.0 . BD drive is LG WH16NS40.

Would running anydvd in the background solve the problem, as it does for players like JRiver?

If not, how do I access the log and how might it help me fix the problem? What settings must I change and/or what must I download and install to enable VLC to play 1080p BD movies?

flummoxed
New Cone
New Cone

Postby flummoxed » 09 Oct 2022 14:11

But playing 1080p BDs has so far been impossible for me. I just tried playing Criterion Collection's "Gilda" (1946) but got error message: "VLC is unable to open the MRL 'dvd:///D:/'. Check the log for details." Same thing happened when I tried playing Olive's "She Devil" (1957) and Warner's "Time Machine" (1960).
What settings must I change and/or what must I download and install to enable VLC to play 1080p BD movies?
My first guess based on the error message would be that you forgot to mark the radio button for BluRay vs DVD:

dang, really wish I could just insert the image here directly...
https://ibb.co/sHhML6w

Zoe
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Zoe » 25 Nov 2022 21:47

I have been successfully using VLC for ripped (MakeMKV) BD's for quite some time. I am now in the process of moving to a new computer, and I've copied all the settings exactly from the Doom9 forum, but the new computer hangs on the thumbnail splash screen. The only difference between the environments is the new computer is Windows 11. VLC is 3.0.17.4.

The new computer makes it to about this point before hanging:

Code: Select all

main debug: attempt to destroy nonexistent variable "title 151" main debug: attempt to destroy nonexistent variable "next-chapter" main debug: attempt to destroy nonexistent variable "prev-chapter" main debug: looking for meta reader module matching "any": 2 candidates lua debug: Trying Lua scripts in C:\Users\XXXX\AppData\Roaming\vlc\lua\meta\reader lua debug: Trying Lua scripts in C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\reader lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\reader\filename.luac main debug: no meta reader modules matched main debug: `bluray:///D:/XXXX' successfully opened main debug: attempt to destroy nonexistent variable "next-chapter" main debug: attempt to destroy nonexistent variable "prev-chapter" main debug: attempt to destroy nonexistent variable "next-chapter" main debug: attempt to destroy nonexistent variable "prev-chapter"
The older computer's logs are effectively the same and continues from this point:

libbluray warning: event: 32 param: 0 main debug: attempt to destroy nonexistent variable "next-chapter" main debug: attempt to destroy nonexistent variable "prev-chapter" libbluray warning: event: 32 param: 0 main debug: attempt to destroy nonexistent variable "next-chapter" main debug: attempt to destroy nonexistent variable "prev-chapter" libbluray warning: event: 25 param: 0 libbluray warning: event: 32 param: 0 main debug: attempt to destroy nonexistent variable "next-chapter" main debug: attempt to destroy nonexistent variable "prev-chapter" main debug: attempt to destroy nonexistent variable "next-chapter" main debug: attempt to destroy nonexistent variable "prev-chapter" libbluray warning: event: 32 param: 0 main debug: attempt to destroy nonexistent variable "next-chapter" main debug: attempt to destroy nonexistent variable "prev-chapter" main debug: no demux modules matched main debug: creating demux: access='' demux='ts' location='' file='(null)' main debug: looking for demux module matching "ts": 55 candidates main debug: attempt to destroy nonexistent variable "next-chapter" main debug: attempt to destroy nonexistent variable "prev-chapter" main debug: attempt to destroy nonexistent variable "next-chapter" main debug: attempt to destroy nonexistent variable "prev-chapter" libbluray warning: event: 25 param: 0 ts debug: Standard set to MPEG main debug: using demux module "ts"
And so on.

Are there any settings or plugins I might have missed?

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 26 Nov 2022 11:41

moving to a new computer, and I've copied all the settings exactly from the Doom9 forum, but the new computer hangs on the thumbnail splash screen. The only difference between the environments is the new computer is Windows 11.

You should create a new report ticket on the VLC Trac with your above report and the link to this thread:
https://code.videolan.org/videolan/vlc/-/issues

Mr Wolf
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby Mr Wolf » 28 Nov 2022 21:04

Hi, if VLC crashes while trying to play a blu-ray, it could be because it's the latest Java versions which make it crash.
As far as I know, the last Java version which doesn't cause VLC to crash is Java 8 Update 321, which you can download from here:
https://www.oracle.com/java/technologie ... loads.html
Download and install both 32 & 64 bit version.

ant

Newbie can't play BRDs in my portable 64-bit VLC from a new ext. USB BRD drive in updated W10 Pro.

Postby ant » 13 Dec 2022 09:06

I'm following https://vlc-bluray.whoknowsmy.name's instructions. I downloaded and copied https://vlc-bluray.whoknowsmy.name/file ... ibaacs.dll into my portable (not installer) c:\winstuff\vlc. And then, downloaded and extracted http://fvonline-db.bplaced.net/./export/keydb_eng.zip's keydb.cfg into my C:\ProgramData\aacs.

When I try to play Avatar extended CE (got it years ago)'s BRD #1, VLC shows: "Blu-ray error:
This Blu-ray Disc needs a library for BD+ decoding, and your system does not have it.
Your input can't be opened:
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'bluray:///E:/'. Check the log for details." I assume the log is in Tools menu's Messages that shows:

"libbluray info: First play: 0, Top menu: 0 HDMV Titles: 5, BD-J Titles: 86, Other: 86
main debug: processing request item: bluray:///E:/, node: Playlist, skip: 0
main debug: rebuilding array of current - root Playlist
main debug: rebuild done - 3 items, index 2
main debug: starting playback of new item
main debug: resyncing on bluray:///E:/
main debug: bluray:///E:/ is at 2
main debug: creating new input thread
main debug: Creating an input for 'bluray:///E:/'
main debug: requesting art for new input thread
main debug: using timeshift granularity of 50 MiB
main debug: using timeshift path: D:\Medias\videos\recorded\timeshift
main debug: `bluray:///E:/' gives access `bluray' demux `any' path `/E:/'
main debug: creating demux: access='bluray' demux='any' location='/E:/' file='E:\'
main debug: looking for access_demux module matching "bluray": 15 candidates
main debug: looking for meta fetcher module matching "any": 1 candidates
lua debug: Trying Lua scripts in C:\Users\ant\AppData\Roaming\vlc\lua\meta\fetcher
lua debug: Trying Lua scripts in C:\winstuff\VLCportable\lua\meta\fetcher
main debug: no meta fetcher modules matched
main debug: looking for art finder module matching "any": 2 candidates
lua debug: Trying Lua scripts in C:\Users\ant\AppData\Roaming\vlc\lua\meta\art
lua debug: Trying Lua scripts in C:\winstuff\VLCportable\lua\meta\art
lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\winstuff\VLCportable\lua\meta\art\00_musicbrainz.luac
lua debug: skipping script (unmatched scope) C:\winstuff\VLCportable\lua\meta\art\00_musicbrainz.luac
lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\winstuff\VLCportable\lua\meta\art\01_googleimage.luac
lua debug: skipping script (unmatched scope) C:\winstuff\VLCportable\lua\meta\art\01_googleimage.luac
lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\winstuff\VLCportable\lua\meta\art\02_frenchtv.luac
lua debug: skipping script (unmatched scope) C:\winstuff\VLCportable\lua\meta\art\02_frenchtv.luac
lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\winstuff\VLCportable\lua\meta\art\03_lastfm.luac
lua debug: skipping script (unmatched scope) C:\winstuff\VLCportable\lua\meta\art\03_lastfm.luac
main debug: no art finder modules matched
qt debug: IM: Setting an input
libbluray info: First play: 0, Top menu: 0 HDMV Titles: 5, BD-J Titles: 86, Other: 86
libbluray debug: Disc is using AACS
libbluray debug: Disc is using BD+
main debug: no access_demux modules matched
main debug: creating access: bluray:///E:/
main debug: (path: E:\)
main debug: looking for access module matching "bluray": 27 candidates
main debug: no access modules matched
main debug: dead input
main debug: changing item without a request (current 2/3)
main debug: nothing to play
qt debug: IM: Deleting the input"

Did I do something wrong? Thank you for reading and hopefully answering soon. :)
Ant @ Ant's Quality Foraged Links (http://aqfl.net) and The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.home.dhs.org).

candela
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby candela » 18 Dec 2022 17:52

VLC shows: "Blu-ray error:
This Blu-ray Disc needs a library for BD+ decoding, and your system does not have it.
It clearly says what the problem is. There are links to sites with the solution in this thread on this and the previous page

ant

Postby ant » 01 Jan 2023 09:04

VLC shows: "Blu-ray error:
It clearly says what the problem is. There are links to sites with the solution in this thread on this and the previous page
Thanks. Are you referring to https://forum.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20390 and https://forum.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20390 from 2019? Also, happy new year! :)
Ant @ Ant's Quality Foraged Links (http://aqfl.net) and The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.home.dhs.org).

MCKitch
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 3.0.18 Vetinari
Operating System: Windows

Postby MCKitch » 14 Mar 2023 12:09

I'd like to share a long-standing issue I've had with BD support in VLC. I've searched the forum but haven't found any mention of this issue so I'll document it here.

I've found that with some BD+ discs (with BD-Java-based menus) the main disc menu will not activate! The main program content will play if you uncheck the 'Blu-ray menus' option associated with the 'Blu-ray' access module but, of course, you can't access other content on the disc. I've checked the disc operation on a 'real' Sony Blu-ray player and on another 'player' program, PlayerFab. Both methods show you the menus and you can navigate through them as normal. My most recent experience with this is when trying to play any of the four discs that make up the 'Star Trek: Discovery: Season 3' box set. The 'CBS' logo sequence plays OK then the screen goes black and the progress bar halts.

This issue appears to have been around for a while (for example, it's also occurred on discs for other 'Discovery' seasons), for at least this and the last VLC releases and going back from the current through multiple past JRE versions. It's not a KeyDB.cfg (VUK) issue because many other BD+ discs (with BD-J menus) play without issue.

Would love for someone to investigate this but it would seem it's not a widely experienced issue. I'd be happy to provide logs or other assistance if required.

Mr Wolf

Postby Mr Wolf » 14 Mar 2023 12:28

Hi, I have the same problem with some blu-rays (as far I can remember, "Blue velvet" and "To live and die in L.A."), that is, the menu won't show up and it will play directly the movie.
You can play the other titles with mouse right click -> Playback -> Title
As I wrote some posts ago, I had to switch back to an old Java version, because the latest ones make VLC crash.

MCKitch
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby MCKitch » 15 Mar 2023 10:31

Thanks for the tip Mr Wolf! :D Although you don't see the actual title, at least you can access the content. Helps a lot.

As for the incompatibility between VLC and recent JRE versions, I direct your attention to this post https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.ph ... 46#p533546
I think you'll discover that the latest VLC version works with the latest JRE version. Well, at least it does for me. :wink:

Mr Wolf

Postby Mr Wolf » 15 Mar 2023 16:05

Ok, I've just installed the latest JRE and I confirm VLC doesn't crash. :D
I was just tired to try any new JRE version to see if it worked. :roll:

The blu-rays whose menu won't show up have still the same problem, though.

MCKitch
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby MCKitch » 16 Mar 2023 10:25

Sadly, that's also what I found! :cry:

MCKitch
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby MCKitch » 20 Apr 2023 09:58

Folks,
Just a quick note to say that Oracle has just released a new JRE version, 8u371. I've updated to it and it appears to work OK with Blu-Ray Java (BDJ) menus.

nasruddin
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby nasruddin » 11 Jun 2023 21:21

I followed the various directions & got blu-ray working about a month ago.
(VLC 3.0.18 + Windows 10.0.19045).
Friday it stopped working. I hadn't had a blu-ray disk in use for a few days.
At first, I got a popup with a cascading set of errors VLC is unable to open MRL 'bluray:///E:/'. Check the log for details.

Then I deleted vlc, rebooted, re-installed, & now
I don't get the popup with cascading errors, only one set:

Not checking blu-ray box in
Blu-ray error:
No valid processing key found in AACS config file.
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'bluray:///E:/'. Check the log for details.
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'dvd:///E:/'. Check the log for details.

Checking blu-ray box:
Blu-ray error:
No valid processing key found in AACS config file.
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'bluray:///E:/'. Check the log for details.

See the logfile at the end. Ok, not, because it's too long. You would have to ask me for it.

I think I followed the instructions here
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=176924
pretty closely
MakeMKV and AnyDVD seem to be able to read the disc I am trying to look at ok
What can be done?

nasruddin
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby nasruddin » 11 Jun 2023 22:00

I think I may have fixed this.
I ran VLC once as admin - it then started to read the disc, but didn't like the region code
So I had to do this
https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?t=132677
to switch the region code to the appropriate one for the disc.
Now seems to be reading ok.

A little puzzled about why this stopped working & why the slate-wiping needed to be done.

smilingbandit2
New Cone
New Cone

Postby smilingbandit2 » 31 Oct 2023 23:53

I have been using VLC + MakeMKV to watch blu-rays on my desktop, but in the past week it's stopped working. I'm not sure why - I don't think I've made any changes to VLC or MakeMKV that would have caused a change.

Whenever I put a disc in and tell it to play, it attempts to load for a few seconds, then stops. If I then push play, it shows a small title card for the disc, then VLC crashes entirely.

I took a dump of the debug code during one of these attempts.

Does anyone see the problem? My apologies if it's obvious - any assistance is appreciated.

main debug: processing request item: bluray:///E:/, node: Playlist, skip: 0 main debug: rebuilding array of current - root Playlist main debug: rebuild done - 1 items, index 0 main debug: starting playback of new item main debug: resyncing on bluray:///E:/ main debug: bluray:///E:/ is at 0 main debug: creating new input thread main debug: Creating an input for 'bluray:///E:/' main debug: requesting art for new input thread main debug: using timeshift granularity of 50 MiB main debug: using timeshift path: C:\Users\smili\AppData\Local\Temp main debug: `bluray:///E:/#1' gives access `bluray' demux `any' path `/E:/' main debug: creating demux: access='bluray' demux='any' location='/E:/' file='E:\' main debug: looking for access_demux module matching "bluray": 15 candidates main debug: looking for meta fetcher module matching "any": 1 candidates lua debug: Trying Lua scripts in C:\Users\smili\AppData\Roaming\vlc\lua\meta\fetcher lua debug: Trying Lua scripts in C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\fetcher main debug: no meta fetcher modules matched main debug: looking for art finder module matching "any": 2 candidates lua debug: Trying Lua scripts in C:\Users\smili\AppData\Roaming\vlc\lua\meta\art lua debug: Trying Lua scripts in C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\art lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\art\00_musicbrainz.luac lua debug: skipping script (unmatched scope) C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\art\00_musicbrainz.luac lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\art\01_googleimage.luac lua debug: skipping script (unmatched scope) C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\art\01_googleimage.luac lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\art\02_frenchtv.luac lua debug: skipping script (unmatched scope) C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\art\02_frenchtv.luac lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\art\03_lastfm.luac lua debug: skipping script (unmatched scope) C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\art\03_lastfm.luac main debug: no art finder modules matched qt debug: IM: Setting an input libbluray info: First play: 1, Top menu: 1 HDMV Titles: 4, BD-J Titles: 77, Other: 77 libbluray debug: Disc is using AACS libbluray debug: Selecting Title 0 main debug: using access_demux module "libbluray" main debug: creating demux: access='' demux='ts' location='' file='(null)' main debug: looking for demux module matching "ts": 55 candidates main debug: attempt to destroy nonexistent variable "title 0" [b]EDIT: This error repeats for title 1- 36.[/b] main debug: looking for meta reader module matching "any": 2 candidates lua debug: Trying Lua scripts in C:\Users\smili\AppData\Roaming\vlc\lua\meta\reader lua debug: Trying Lua scripts in C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\reader lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\reader\filename.luac main debug: no meta reader modules matched main debug: `bluray:///E:/#1' successfully opened main debug: no demux modules matched libbluray error: bluray: read error main debug: EOF reached libbluray debug: Selecting Title 1 main debug: creating demux: access='' demux='ts' location='' file='(null)' main debug: looking for demux module matching "ts": 55 candidates ts debug: Standard set to MPEG main debug: using demux module "ts" ts debug: DEMUX_SET_GROUP -1 0000000000000000 ts debug: pid[4352] unknown ts warning: discontinuity indicator (pid=4352) ts debug: pid[4353] unknown ts warning: discontinuity indicator (pid=4353) ts debug: pid[4113] unknown ts warning: discontinuity indicator (pid=4113) ts debug: pid[4608] unknown ts warning: discontinuity indicator (pid=4608) ts debug: pid[4609] unknown ts warning: discontinuity indicator (pid=4609) ts warning: discontinuity indicator (pid=4352) ts warning: discontinuity indicator (pid=4353) ts warning: discontinuity indicator (pid=4113) ts warning: discontinuity indicator (pid=4608) ts warning: discontinuity indicator (pid=4609) ts debug: Can't read TS packet at 1920 main debug: removing module "ts" main debug: ES_OUT_RESET_PCR called main debug: removing module "libbluray" main debug: creating demux: access='' demux='ts' location='' file='(null)' libbluray info: Closing overlays. main debug: looking for demux module matching "ts": 55 candidates ts debug: Standard set to MPEG main debug: using demux module "ts" ts debug: DEMUX_SET_GROUP -1 0000000000000000 ts debug: pid[4352] unknown ts warning: discontinuity indicator (pid=4352) ts debug: pid[4353] unknown ts warning: discontinuity indicator (pid=4353) ts debug: pid[4113] unknown ts warning: discontinuity indicator (pid=4113) ts debug: pid[4608] unknown ts warning: discontinuity indicator (pid=4608) ts debug: pid[4609] unknown ts warning: discontinuity indicator (pid=4609) ts debug: Can't read TS packet at 960 main debug: removing module "ts" main debug: dead input main debug: changing item without a request (current 0/1) main debug: nothing to play qt debug: IM: Deleting the input

Conedechantier
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Conedechantier » 12 Feb 2024 18:25

Hi, all
I'm a BD/VLC newby and I need your help.
I followed the Doom9 guide (keydb.cfg and libaacs).
I tested 2 Blu-Rays (Joker and Blade Runner 2049) and they run fine.
But I cannot get Logan and X-men days of future past to run.
All I get in the messages is "libbluray info: First play: 0, Top menu: 1 HDMV Titles: 5, BD-J Titles: 86, Other: 86" continuously. No other error message.
Am I missing something ?
Thank you for your help.

ZeldaTheSwordsman
New Cone
New Cone

Installing Java caused "Your Blu-Ray Player requires an update" red screen

Postby ZeldaTheSwordsman » 11 Apr 2024 08:31

This seemed the right place to put this. Or should I have made a separate thread, for better visibility (general topics like this do tend to get cluttered)?

The issue I'm having came up in this thread, but that's the only place I could find it and it does not seem to have been properly resolved there (and the VideoHelp thread linked seems mainly concerned with rips and with physical players).

I installed 3.0.20, the latest (at the time of writing) stable version of VLC for 64-bit Windows on my Windows 10 computer today, and decided giving watching Blu-Rays another go (my last forays ran into trouble, but it has been some time). I got the region setting changed to Region A to match my discs and have actually been seeing a fair bit of success playing back Blu-Rays, without needing to manually add libraries and stuff. One particular set, however, has still been giving me guff: My 2013 Blu-Ray set of the Star Wars prequels. The menus on these discs - as well as seemingly the subtitles for when characters are speaking in alien languages - are Java-dependent. Not unique to this set, of course, but they're the only ones I've tried thus far where it's come up. The others are the Discotek Castle of Cagliostro Collector's Edition Blu-Ray (the first tested), the 2017 Power Rangers movie, My Little Pony: The Movie (2017), and Solo: A Star Wars Story. EDIT: I have now also tested with the 2009 Blu-Ray release of Terminator (the oldest Blu-Ray in the house), Kung-Fu Panda 2, Red Dwarf Series X, Jurassic World, Alita: Battle Angel, and the Rise of Skywalker Blu-Ray. These also played fine.

Anyway, without Java installed the 2013 Prequel Trilogy Blu-Ray discs would play... just with no menus. After installing JRE (I chose the latest version for 64-bit Windows; while older threads frequently bring up an older JRE release, I have a feeling those are out of date when it comes to the current version of VLC) and trying again, instead of the movie playing I was "treated" to this wonderful red screen proclaiming "Your Blu-Ray Player requires an update to continue":

https://postimg.cc/JyF60b4V

I tried clicking the skip buttons. I tried right clicking and selecting chapters that way. I tried clicking Play. None of these worked to get past the accursed red screen.
If memory serves I had this very same issue the last time I tried to play discs from this set using VLC (this was with an older version, and the older JRE that always pops up in those older threads, by the way). No Java? Movie plays without fuss, but also without menus. Install Java? Movie shows the red screen instead of playing. It makes me think the fault is in how VLC handles Java, that something about that doesn't play nice with something in the encoding of these discs (and I suspect other 20th Century Fox-related Blu-Rays from around the same time, but I have none to test).

Does anyone have any potential solutions? Other than getting better Blu-Ray copies of the prequels (which is admittedly tempting, but doesn't actually fix the issue; it just bypasses it on an individual basis).

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”