How enable GPU decoding?

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
omodecarton
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Re: How enable GPU decoding?

Postby omodecarton » 20 Sep 2016 22:18

Is there a simple way to check if the hardware decoding is enabled? Like in MPC! (a indicator on screen for few seconds!).

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 20 Sep 2016 22:57

Press Ctrl+M, go to Modules Tree and look for a generic module under the avcodec decoder module.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

MarcusHuddinge
New Cone
New Cone

Postby MarcusHuddinge » 12 Mar 2017 23:04

Hello, I'm also having some trouble with this. I have a 6600K and a GTX 1080, Windows 10 x64 and VLC 2.2.4 Weatherwax.
I'm trying to play a 4K x265 HEVC 10bit movie, but my CPU usage goes up to 80-100%, the video lags and colors are weird.
I tried the "DirectX Video Acceleration (DXVA) 2.0" but it makes no difference in any way.
The only programs that can play the file flawlessly is Window's "Movies & TV" as well as Windows Media Player. In these two programs it only uses 2% CPU and the GPU ramps up the clock speed and memory clock for about a minute and then goes back to pretty much idle.

Is there no way to play the movie equally effortlessly in VLC? Cause obviously i don't wanna be stuck with WMP lul

MarcusHuddinge
New Cone
New Cone

Postby MarcusHuddinge » 12 Mar 2017 23:33

I solved the problem with nightly build 3.0.0 and DirectX Video Acceleration (DXVA) 2.0. It works perfectly now, i guess it's broken in 2.2.4 =)

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 13 Mar 2017 17:47

I solved the problem with nightly build 3.0.0 and DirectX Video Acceleration (DXVA) 2.0. It works perfectly now, i guess it's broken in 2.2.4 =)
Probable
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Youhei
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Youhei » 12 Jun 2017 08:55

First excuse my english, I'm not a native english speaker.

My question is: Is the GPU decoding in VLC player still not working ? :?

I'm using Windows XP (& Service Pack 3) and VLC Player 2.2.6 (32Bit)
My Graphic card is an Asus EAH5570 Silent.

GPU decoding is not working for me :( , so I would like to ask why.

1. Is it because the function is still broken inside the VLC player ?
or
2. Is it because I'm using an "old" Operation System ?

By the way, GPU decoding works fine for me with Media Player Classic - Home Cinema 1.7.10 (32Bit) and LAV-Filters 0.69 :D , so it seems the problem lies within the VLC player.
Last edited by Youhei on 12 Jun 2017 12:44, edited 1 time in total.

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 12 Jun 2017 10:47

Yes, because VLC is using DXVA2 which means Windows Vista or higher is required.

Youhei
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Youhei » 12 Jun 2017 12:26

Yes, because VLC is using DXVA2 which means Windows Vista or higher is required.
Well, that's strange because the LAV-Filter (Version 0.69) in Media Player Classic - Home Cinema 1.7.10 (32Bit) also use DXVA2. :?

Just look here:
https://www.team-mediaportal.com/wiki/d ... figuration

Like dicribed, in the LAV Video Filter you can choose between DXVA2 "native" and DXVA2 "copy-back"
I'm using the "native" Option and like I said before it works fine with Windows XP.

GPU-Z and HWINFO32 both showed me a GPU usage between 98-100 % when watching videos with Media Player Classic, so GPU decoding must be working. :D

Perhaps VLC Player is using another sort of DXVA2 which requires Windows Vista or above as Operating System ? :wink:

It would be a "nice to have", but it's not much of an issue (for me) if GPU decoding isn't working in VLC Player.
I've got a 3,8 GHz AMD Quad-Core CPU in my PC which had enough power to do the Video decoding "without breaking a sweat".

Nornagest
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Nornagest » 18 Dec 2017 13:44

I use VLC 2.2.8 ver.
I want to play RTSP stream from IP cam, but with very low settings of stream (low resolution and only 15 fps was set on cam settings) this stream still freeze in VLC. DXVA2 is using, but no one different between use it or not. What settings must be set for normal view without freeze?

sorry for my english:)

mike4001
New Cone
New Cone

Postby mike4001 » 26 Dec 2017 09:11

I use VLC 2.2.8 ver.
I want to play RTSP stream from IP cam, but with very low settings of stream (low resolution and only 15 fps was set on cam settings) this stream still freeze in VLC. DXVA2 is using, but no one different between use it or not. What settings must be set for normal view without freeze?

sorry for my english:)
Use the latest Nightly.

I was trying to find a solution for my stuttering 4K videos as well, als VLC 2.2.8. just brought my i7-4790 to the max. and my GTX 1070 did nothing.

Downloaded the latest nightly: https://nightlies.videolan.org/build/win64/last/

And No everything plays smoothly at 1-2% CPU use and ~10-20% GPU usage.

JustJinxed
New Cone
New Cone

Postby JustJinxed » 05 Mar 2018 08:29

Got the 3.0.1 version just yesterday, I'm on a GTX 1080 playing 1280x720 mkv file, and had barely noticed a small hiccup in the video about every 2.5-5 minutes. Wasn't really all that bothersome until I realized it.

Set the hardware decoding to (DXVA) 2.0, no such issue. Double checked what automatic selects for my system, Direct3D11 - Ahhh!

Have to say, I really am impressed with this new release. The very fact that I can chromecast from it, just made my night all that much better. (been a long time waiting for that on winders)

TheVictor
New Cone
New Cone

Postby TheVictor » 14 Mar 2018 02:40

Got the 3.0.1 version just yesterday, I'm on a GTX 1080 playing 1280x720 mkv file, and had barely noticed a small hiccup in the video about every 2.5-5 minutes. . .

Set the hardware decoding to (DXVA) 2.0, no such issue. Double checked what automatic selects for my system, Direct3D11 - Ahhh!
Hi.

¡Yo también!

I've also been noticing little flickers or "micro-pauses" occurring in the video playback (the audio seems fine) since switching to v3.0.1 a few days ago. The majority of my videos are 1080p or 720p x265 MKVs.

I'm wondering whether that "Ahhh!" in JustJinxed's post means he/she/they found a solution.

It seems my ignorance simply knows no bounds, so I'm afraid I have no idea whether adjustments to codec settings (or deinterlacing, maybe?) could help. I've basically just left everything in those departments alone, which seems to mean on automatic.

I'm running Windows 10 on a 64-bit ASUS GL553VE laptop (Processor: i7-7700HQ CPU @2.80GHz; RAM: 16 GB; Graphics Cards: Intel(R) HD Graphics 630, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti).

I'd love to get this sorted out. (I could always revert back to v2.2.8; there didn't seem to be any micro-blinking with that version, but it couldn't play 8-channel AAC audio, which is getting more common these days.) Help from any VLC gurus out there would be much appreciated!

Thank you!

robUx4
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Windows

Postby robUx4 » 21 Mar 2018 14:50

What do the logs say when you have such hiccups ?

TheVictor
New Cone
New Cone

Postby TheVictor » 28 Mar 2018 02:23

What do the logs say when you have such hiccups ?
Hi, robUx4.

Thanks for responding. To be honest, I wouldn't even know what to look for in the logs.
Is a log compiled for each video? If so, where is it stored?

If you or someone wouldn't mind taking a look, what's the best/preferred posting method? Pastebin link, maybe?

Thank you!

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”