Issues with current Release on Windows

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
GoodGuy98
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Issues with current Release on Windows

Postby GoodGuy98 » 05 Dec 2008 22:23

I saw a new version was released on MajorGeeks.com. It wasn't listed as being a beta version.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/

Listed Under 12-04-2008.

http://majorgeeks.com/VLC_media_player_d4674.html

I can't locate the post at the moment, but I also saw a link that pointed to a FTP
site which appeared to be from ftp.videolan.org. I also downloaded 0.9.8a from
that link and had the same issue. I just connected to the FTP site a minute ago and
I couldn't find a Windows version at that level, just a Linux one.

I just saw a post on here:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=51079&p=172139&hilit=ftp#p172139

"Sorry, but the only version you can trust is the version on our main page, not on one of our FTP, not on any other Website... The fact that they distribute wrong versions of VLC is their problem, not ours. We cannot go on the thousands of website that are too greedy and tell them they have a wrong binary.
Just don't mirror the binary, just take the link to our server."

I'll download the current version from the main page and wait for any new versions to be released there.

Thank You for the reply.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 06 Dec 2008 00:55

Well, too bad, wait for our version.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

abrakatabra
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
Operating System: win2000pro ubuntu804

Postby abrakatabra » 07 Dec 2008 01:24

Now, I don't know much about the technicalities the people here is talking about so I will be brief and clear:

some of the new troubles with the new version:

a)when playing an avi file if you take it a little forward with any method( shortcuts, bar, button) picture frozes, and after some seconds we have sound and yes a little later picture too(i cleared and recleared cache and reinstalled the program, even used revo uninstaller.)

b)when the clip is paused and try to restart(press play) again have to wait for new vlc to decide playing

c) -1 for this control panel which keeps popping up when watching something if you accidentally move mouse

d)one, after all those years would expect some kind of bookmarking capability from the new version as it is understood by us the common people. like pdf reader's, you are watching something, stop it. tomorrow, when you click the same file vlc remembers where you were(i think smplayer has this)

e)any particular reason why vlc can not support avisynth?

Anyway, I am very very grateful for videolan vlc developers who have provided me for all these years with a free and good player, I wish them well.

[windows 2000 pro is my OS]

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 07 Dec 2008 15:29

a) known issue.
b) How long. Longer than 300ms is a big issue in your setup.
c) Deactivate it, it IS an option
d) lack of developers doesn't help to add new things.
e) same as d)
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

antoine92330
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby antoine92330 » 07 Dec 2008 17:12

HI,

i'm using VLC ( 0.9.6 ) to transcode .ts files ( orange TV recorded with FRIPTV ) to mpg/mp4.
it works fine ! but when I read the mpg or mp4 file, it is displayed in a wider format. I get a good display with "video/proportions/..."
i've tried to modify "aspect" "width" etc... with no success.

looks like the output file has a 2.35:1 aspect ratio when the input file is 4:3 or 16:9

many tks and congratulations !

antoine

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 07 Dec 2008 19:36

antoine92330: so transcoded output from VLC is wrong aspect ratio wise? Could you provide transcoding option you use?

gbil
New Cone
New Cone

Postby gbil » 08 Dec 2008 08:30

Maybe because you use a NON-official VERSION?

I'm also having the same problem with every nightly version I download from here: http://nightlies.videolan.org/ which IS an official site.

Maybe I'm missing something but I would really appreciate it if someone could give a hint.

SOLVED: Renamed the vlc.exe.manifest file and it started just fine! What is the purpose of this file?

antoine92330
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby antoine92330 » 08 Dec 2008 16:37

antoine92330: so transcoded output from VLC is wrong aspect ratio wise? Could you provide transcoding option you use?
yes this is it : wrong aspect ratio.
I use VLC command line :

OutputConversion = :sout=#transcode{vcodec=mp2v`,acodec=mpga`,vb=3000`,scale=1`,ab=128`,channels=2}:standard{access=file`,mux=ps`,dst=%OutDir%\%OutNameNoExt%.mpg}
Run %RutaVlc% -vvv %Archivo% %OutputConversion% , %VlcDir%,UseErrorLevel, friptvpid

AND i get the same problem when I use VLC and the Media/Transcode/profil MPEG-2

:sout=#transcode{vcodec=mp2v,vb=800,scale=1,acodec=mpga,ab=128,channels=2}:duplicate{dst=std{access=file,mux=ts,dst=C:\Video\20081122094358\20081122094358.mpg}}

do you need a sample file .ts ? ( 1.3 MB )

i've tried VLC version 0.9.6, 0.9.8 ( dec 3rd or 4th ) and VLC 1.0.0 git..

many thanks
Antoine

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 08 Dec 2008 19:11

And your input file uses anamorphic video or is it 1:1 PAR video?

muchenik
New Cone
New Cone

Postby muchenik » 08 Dec 2008 20:40

I had an issue where vlc would spit out the following error:
vlc.exe has stopped working

This was for Vista Ultimate, build 600. The following nightly build corrected the issue:

vlc-1.0.0-git-20081123-0005-win32.exe

Xpire
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Xpire » 09 Dec 2008 06:59

Just installed the new 0.9.8a version hoping it would fix the subtitle problem i had with mkv files from 0.9.6, but it was the same :(

I'm also using two monitors, and when i move the VLC window onto the secondary monitor and put it in full screen mode, the video appears full screen on both monitors. If i then try to reduce it back to window mode, it won't let me do it from the secondary monitor (double-clicking, or accessing the menu via right-click), and I have to do it from the primary monitor. This problem didn't occur in 0.9.6 though.

Sorry if that sounds a bit confusing, didn't know how to explain it in a better way.

EDIT : Sorry, just noticed this was posted in another thread, still with no solution though.

antoine92330
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby antoine92330 » 09 Dec 2008 09:23

And your input file uses anamorphic video or is it 1:1 PAR video?
Hi !

if the question is for antoine92330 , "output ratio wrong" , here is my answer :

I don't know if input file is anamorphic or 1:1 PAR , but here some info :
input file : there are no black borders and the size is 544x576 interlaced. I dont have a tool to get more info.

I've tried the tool : DVDPatcher on the output file *.mpg :
- it says Size: 544x576
-Aspect ratio:|4=0.0071

then i ask DVDPatcher to patch the header file :
- VLC will read the mpg file OK for 1 second then switch to wrong aspect ratio ( 2.1:1 ? )
then i ask DVDPatcher to patch the whole mpg file :
- VLC reads the file OK !! with a good aspect ratio.

Hope this helps.

many thanks
Antoine

esperantisto
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

VLC does not play MP3 files on Windows XP

Postby esperantisto » 09 Dec 2008 15:58

Installed VLC 0.9.8a on Windows XP SP2 Russian on HP Compaq nx7400 laptop, tried to play several MP3 files — playback goes on, but no sound can be heard with the program sound level set to ≈73% (default), an the system sound level to ≈50%. Adjusting the volume does not help. Other programs such as Windows Media Player and Winamp do not have this problem.

Sinobi
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Sinobi » 09 Dec 2008 17:12

Hi.
I am using the Panoramix filter with VLC to split the image into two, with a blend area in the middle, and sending each half out my Nvidia's two outputs to two CRT projectors.
I have been doing this for the last 10 months with the svn version that Concubert have on his filewebserver (0.9.0 nightlies svn with DTS decoding enabled, from feb.2008)
The regular nightlies also worked, but of cause couldn't decode DTS, so I have primarily been using Concuberts compiled version.
Some time this summer, before the 0.9.0-final came out, Panoramix stopped working in the new nightlies (at least with Nvidia and Matrox cards)
and since then it has been broken. So I am still stock with the feb.08 svn nightlie.
What happends is you can play the movie, and VLC/Panoramix producess 2 windows for video but places them both on the primary monitor output, and they are both black all the time.
Hope this can be solved...

Best regards
Henrik

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 09 Dec 2008 21:22

antoine92330: So it is as anamorphic. And prolly the header gets wrong aspect ratio.

esperantisto: does it help if you change audio output module?
http://wiki.videolan.org/WindowsFAQ-0.9 ... _anomalies

Sinobi: does changing video output module help?

Sinobi
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Sinobi » 10 Dec 2008 00:06

No, changing the video output module doesn't help

Henrik

esperantisto
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby esperantisto » 10 Dec 2008 07:47

VLC_help, thanks a lot: after explicitly setting the output through Win32 waveOut, sound is reproduced! Should not is be the default setting for Windows?

esperantisto
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby esperantisto » 10 Dec 2008 16:22

When I press Next media in playlist with visualization on, visualization goes off. Is that intended? (0.9.8a / Windows XP SP2)

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 10 Dec 2008 18:58

esperantisto: Directsound audio output is default one. Hod do you enable the visualization? If you use Audio -> Visualizations -> it is only for current playlist item.

Sinobi: if you take a snapshot using VLC snapshot feature, you also see only black in snapshot?

pahb22
New Cone
New Cone

Postby pahb22 » 10 Dec 2008 19:14

I need help! im playing an .MKV file i have the latest version of vlc, heres the problem every time i open the file it plays but in the beggining it crashesh the problem is its only in the beggining and sometimes in the end of a video when you see the credits, anyone has and idea on how to fix this?

Glue
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Glue » 10 Dec 2008 20:10

I am using dual-screens.. LCD and laptop. When Trying to view in fullscreen on the LCD it the fullscreen is shown on my laptop-screen with the latest version.

VLCMad
New Cone
New Cone

Postby VLCMad » 11 Dec 2008 00:50

I am using dual-screens.. LCD and laptop. When Trying to view in fullscreen on the LCD it the fullscreen is shown on my laptop-screen with the latest version.
Experiencing the same problem. Showing on monitor rather than LCD TV, 0.9.6 was fine.

Any fix for this?

navysealltblue
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby navysealltblue » 11 Dec 2008 04:20

Issues found by me so far:
MPG playback in FF met with green screen and movie no-load however the wmv playback in ff fixed.
dual monitor support, full screen on secondary monitor switches to primary screen
ssa files aren't skipped over in playback but rather the player gets stuck on them, resulting in no continuation through the playlist.
maximized window does not stay maximized (maximized window, but same size as original window, stuck in upper left corner) upon switching to next item in playlist

I'm posting all this here since trac doesn't seem to be up and working.

esperantisto
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby esperantisto » 11 Dec 2008 10:32

Hod do you enable the visualization? If you use Audio -> Visualizations -> it is only for current playlist item.
So, that’s intended. OK. How can I keep it continuous for all tracks? http://wiki.videolan.org/Frequently_Asked_Questions , http://wiki.videolan.org/How_to , http://wiki.videolan.org/How_to , http://wiki.videolan.org/Documentation: ... ion_to_VLC , http://wiki.videolan.org/Documentation: ... Use_of_VLC don’t seem to have any relevant information. Or I’m missing something?

Apoka
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Apoka » 11 Dec 2008 17:44

Experiencing the same problem. Showing on monitor rather than LCD TV, 0.9.6 was fine.

Any fix for this?
hi.... having same problem with 0.98a. Anyone any ideas???

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”