Blu-Ray Support

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
neilwilkes
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Blu-Ray Support

Postby neilwilkes » 31 Oct 2019 11:19

I just installed VLC 3.0.7.1. on Windows 10. I ripped one of my bluray discs using MakeMKV's "backup" feature. That seems to retain all the original file system from the BD onto a HD, minus encrypted stuff. I then tried to open the BD using VLC's Open Disc feature, being sure to select Bluray Disc as an option, then selecting the topmost directory level corresponding to the BD backup files. VLC then rapidly cycles through all the files until it finds a playable video file such as with an .MT2S extension. However, nothing I do seems to get it to play the menus. I installed the latest 64bit Java RT thinking that would be necessary. That also didn't help. I thought VLC 3+ supported BR menus?

Did I miss something? (again these are unencrypted)
Hi,

Just catching up on the these posts. Not sure if this will help but here goes... My understanding of the 'Open Disc' feature is that you need a BD ripped to an ISO (disc image) file. Not sure if MakeMKV's 'backup' feature does that. At any rate, once you have the ISO file, you actually don't need to use the 'Open Disc' feature, at least with the Vetinari (3.0.8 ) version that I'm using. VLC 'understands' ISO BD image files and 'should' (at least in my experience) just handle all the virtual disc loading stuff transparently and present you with the 'real disc player' experience (notwithstanding any encryption issues - but that's another story).

My advice to you is to upgrade to 3.0.8 (if you haven't already done so) and try to just 'file open' the (BD) ISO image file and see what happens.
This will all depend on whether or not the BD is a BD-J or an IG authored title.
VLC will not play any of the BD-J stuff - all I get is an error telling me that Java is not installed on the system (it is, but only the version required for Scenarist Safeguard to run) and it plays the disc without menus.
Trouble is, it also screws up playback features as the title is a full-on BD-J one and all I get is a silent screen with no way at all to change playlists (file open & navigate to ISO)

Much as I love VLC, the best way to play Optical Media on PC is to buy PowerDVD Ultra -- this works flawlessly.

MCKitch
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 3.0.18 Vetinari
Operating System: Windows

Postby MCKitch » 01 Nov 2019 10:08

Much as I love VLC, the best way to play Optical Media on PC is to buy PowerDVD Ultra -- this works flawlessly.
Yeah, know what you mean I just had that exact issue with 'Cloud Atlas'. My backup is to use the DVDFab viewer (which worked annoyingly). Yeah, I know it's not free but, hey, if you need to watch, you need to watch, right?

MCKitch
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 3.0.18 Vetinari
Operating System: Windows

Postby MCKitch » 13 Nov 2019 01:44

A quick update on the BD-J menu issue. I'd just cleaned up the programs that are installed on my Windows 10 desktop and unfortunately broke the BD-J menu support in VLC. It took a little while to work out what I'd done. I use the 64-bit version of VLC and I'd mistakenly removed the 64-bit version of the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) and left only the 32-bit version. After restoring the 64-bit version, the BD-J menus started working again.

It may not be the same issue that others are having but I thought this 'gotcha' may help some. :wink:

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 29 Nov 2019 10:42

topgunusa
New Cone
New Cone

Postby topgunusa » 03 Dec 2019 02:08

Hello hi ,
i have windows 10 with vlc 3.08 and i have completed the steps to fix the error issues
Blu-ray error:
This Blu-ray Disc needs a library for AACS decoding, and your system does not have it.
Your input can't be opened:
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'bluray:///G:/'. Check the log for details.
i have rebooted and still there any further ideals team
thanks
jim

richtoven
New Cone
New Cone

Postby richtoven » 13 Dec 2019 21:52

Using 3.0.8 Vetinari in Win10 and can't get any BD films to play in the PC BD drive

Daddy0
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Daddy0 » 21 Jan 2020 02:05

For those having trouble after using the given steps, the previously posted thread http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=176924 fixed the problem by fully updating the keydb.cfg file.

EnglishJonny
New Cone
New Cone

Postby EnglishJonny » 05 Feb 2020 10:42

Hy Guys
To let work vlc correctly, reading Bluray, you need to reinstall your Java.
Go to: https://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp
Download the right version for your computer and system.

Enjoy and let me know.

DonQuichotte
New Cone
New Cone

Postby DonQuichotte » 21 Mar 2020 16:21

Is there any way to play blu-ray by VLC on Win 10?

EffieArtoria
New Cone
New Cone

Postby EffieArtoria » 23 Jul 2020 18:54

Hi,

I'm using VLC 3.0.10 and Windows 10.

I'm not sure if this will be relevant or not, but I have my Windows OS installed on my C drive, and VLC installed on my D drive.

I've followed the steps on who knows my name, placing KEYDB.cfg in C:\ProgramData\aacs\, and libaacs.dll in my VLC directory (D:\Program Files\VLC\). Additionally, from reading through this thread and others, I've placed the libbdplus.dll and libmmbd.dll in my VLC directory.

Now, when I attempt to open a Blu Ray using VLC (Open Disc, Blu Ray. I've tried ticking "No disc menus" but see no change), I don't get an error message, but it doesn't play either. At the default log level it just says this:

Code: Select all

libbluray info: First play: 0, Top menu: 0 HDMV Titles: 2, BD-J Titles: 79, Other: 79
Over and over and over again.

Turning the log level up to debug I see the following:

Code: Select all

libbluray info: First play: 0, Top menu: 0 HDMV Titles: 2, BD-J Titles: 79, Other: 79 main debug: changing item without a request (current 0/1) main debug: using item 0 main debug: starting playback of new item main debug: resyncing on bluray:///F:/ main debug: bluray:///F:/ is at 0 main debug: creating new input thread main debug: Creating an input for 'bluray:///F:/' main debug: selected audio language[0] ja main debug: requesting art for new input thread main debug: using timeshift granularity of 50 MiB main debug: using timeshift path: C:\Users\Effie\AppData\Local\Temp main debug: `bluray:///F:/' gives access `bluray' demux `any' path `/F:/' main debug: creating demux: access='bluray' demux='any' location='/F:/' file='F:\' main debug: looking for access_demux module matching "bluray": 15 candidates main debug: looking for meta fetcher module matching "any": 1 candidates lua debug: Trying Lua scripts in C:\Users\Effie\AppData\Roaming\vlc\lua\meta\fetcher lua debug: Trying Lua scripts in D:\Program Files\VLC\lua\meta\fetcher main debug: no meta fetcher modules matched main debug: looking for art finder module matching "any": 2 candidates lua debug: Trying Lua scripts in C:\Users\Effie\AppData\Roaming\vlc\lua\meta\art lua debug: Trying Lua scripts in D:\Program Files\VLC\lua\meta\art lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script D:\Program Files\VLC\lua\meta\art\00_musicbrainz.luac lua debug: skipping script (unmatched scope) D:\Program Files\VLC\lua\meta\art\00_musicbrainz.luac lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script D:\Program Files\VLC\lua\meta\art\01_googleimage.luac lua debug: skipping script (unmatched scope) D:\Program Files\VLC\lua\meta\art\01_googleimage.luac lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script D:\Program Files\VLC\lua\meta\art\02_frenchtv.luac lua debug: skipping script (unmatched scope) D:\Program Files\VLC\lua\meta\art\02_frenchtv.luac lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script D:\Program Files\VLC\lua\meta\art\03_lastfm.luac lua debug: skipping script (unmatched scope) D:\Program Files\VLC\lua\meta\art\03_lastfm.luac main debug: no art finder modules matched qt debug: IM: Setting an input libbluray info: First play: 0, Top menu: 0 HDMV Titles: 2, BD-J Titles: 79, Other: 79 libbluray debug: Disc is using AACS main debug: no access_demux modules matched main debug: creating access: bluray:///F:/ main debug: (path: F:\) main debug: looking for access module matching "bluray": 26 candidates main debug: no access modules matched main debug: dead input qt debug: IM: Deleting the input
I am absolutely at a loss how to proceed at this point. Any advice would be very welcome.

SilentK
New Cone
New Cone

Postby SilentK » 20 Aug 2020 14:12

I have installed VLC 3.0.11 hoping I would be able to play my Blu Ray and 4K Blu Ray disc's. However, when I try to play any Blu ray disc I get the following error:
Blu-ray error:
No valid processing key found in AACS config file.
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'bluray:///E:/'. Check the log for details.
I am not a programmer now do I have the tools required to modify code.
I have reviewed Doom9's Bluray playback with libaacs & libbdplus but again I am not a programmer and do not have the tools required to modify and compile code.
How do I play my Blu ray and 4K blu ray videos from disc on a Windows 10 with 32 bit VLC 3.0.11?

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 21 Aug 2020 09:50

There is no code to modify, you didn't put your AACS keys file in the correct folder.
Please read again all of the instructions, step by step, and notice the differences between the 32-bit and the 64-bit versions of VLC.

SilentK
New Cone
New Cone

Postby SilentK » 24 Aug 2020 01:34

I double checked the location of the aacs folder and put the updated KEYDB.cfg file there.
Now when I play a blu ray disc I get the following errors:
AACS Host Certificate Revoked and VLC is unable to open MRL... Check log files.
Here is the INFO log file (VLC logger does not log any info when Verbosity is set to ERROR):
-- logger module started --
main: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
main: playlist is empty
libbluray: First play: 0, Top menu: 0
HDMV Titles: 93, BD-J Titles: 10, Other: 10
libbluray: First play: 0, Top menu: 0
HDMV Titles: 93, BD-J Titles: 10, Other: 10
-- logger module stopped --
DEBUG log file:
How do I insert the log file?
I can play dvd's with menus. I am running Windows 10 and using a libre compliant drive with which make MKV runs perfectly
What am I doing wrong?
Thanks!

SilentK
New Cone
New Cone

Postby SilentK » 26 Aug 2020 04:22

According to the disclaimer found in VLC Media Player>Help/About menu; it is stated VLC can play cd, dvd, stream, etc. media but has no mention of Blu ray or 4K Blu Ray formats. I'm sure everybody on this forum is working toward solving the Blu Ray player issues addressed herein but it may be a much more different problem than technology.
Good luck to all

EncryptedEggs
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby EncryptedEggs » 22 Sep 2020 23:50

Is there a way to get like an official release compiled version of libaacs.dll? The readme says to "compile it yourself" which is something I've never done, so until now I've been using the libaacs that comes with the long-defunct AACS Updated project's installtion. I got to thinking I'd like to be using the latest possible version of libaacs. Anyone know of an official release download? Or else instructions on how to compile?

flummoxed
New Cone
New Cone

Postby flummoxed » 25 Sep 2020 01:26

I don't know how "official" it is but if you check out the first post at https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=176924 there are instructions and DL links for libaacs and libbdplus, dated 26 Jul 2020. The zip file contains DLLs for windows, haven't tried them myself yet. Not sure when it will end up in a release of vlc, judging by the dates I don't think that has happened yet.

nuraman00
New Cone
New Cone

Postby nuraman00 » 31 Oct 2020 23:44

I posted on the doom9 forum, but no one responded.

Can someone help me play a Blu Ray disc? I attached the debug logs. I tried the steps in the OP of that doom9 forum. I'm on Windows 10.

I'm on VLC 3.0.6.

The log file was 56,356 lines so I attached it on ZippyShare.

If there's a way to directly attach the file, I can do that.

https://www46.zippyshare.com/v/HzrkEeDC/file.html

Phlosioneer
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Phlosioneer » 06 Jan 2021 03:50

Hey all,

I'm having issues with getting VLC to use dll's I put into its directory. I followed the steps here (and elsewhere) to download libaacs.dll. It wasn't working, and on a hunch I checked my VLC process with Process Explorer. It's not loading the libaacs dll at all. Here's a list of the DLL's it loads:
(removed pastebin link)

I've tried both the 32bit and 64bit versions of the DLL; I have the 32bit VLC, but I tried both just in case.

I can't get VLC to make a log file for startup stuff, so I don't know if it's trying and failing to open the dll or if it's not even attempting. I've checked that downloaded dll's security settings allow executing. I've placed it right next to vlc.exe, libvcl.dll, libvlccore.dll, etc.

If I can't get VLC to recognize the dll and load it then it's obviously not going to play bluerays. Anyone have ideas how to debug this?

Edit: Windows 10, VLC 2.2.6

Edit2: Updated VLC to version 3, dll now loads. Sorry!

Edit3: Note to anyone reading this in the future, I needed to use the keydb.cfg from http://fvonline-db.bplaced.net/ to play my new blueray disk.

XRaiderV1
New Cone
New Cone

Postby XRaiderV1 » 03 Feb 2021 23:52

and I need a much newer version of the aacs file...

Dantius55
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Dantius55 » 08 May 2021 16:10

I've been going through these replies and I simply can't find a solution to the problem. I'd like to get VLC playing my new 4K UHD Blu-Ray. Recently got an external UHD BR player for exactly this purpose, but VLC isn't working.

I went to that site that's been posted, downloaded the key and dll things, put them in *exactly* the right places for my 64bit system, and now this is the error message VLC gives me...

Blu-ray error:
Blu-ray Disc is corrupted.
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'bluray:///F:\'. Check the log for details.

This disc is brand new, by the way. I only got the "corrupted" error *after* I implemented those files I was told to.

Please help.

jimjulian
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Blu-Ray Support - menu operation

Postby jimjulian » 13 May 2021 04:26

Hello,

I have gotten VLC to play my X-Files blu-ray discs. I also got the menu to work, except for one issue.
The series' menu is multiple (3) layers.

Top layer: lists episodes. The episode is selected by using the left and right keyboard controls(<-, ->).
Middle layer: play one episode or play the disc.
Bottom layer: episodes, setup, search, extras - left and right arrow keys.

I cannot find a way to move from the top layer or bottom layer, to the middle layer.
Typically:
I select episodes and the arrow controls move between episodes. However, to select and then play an episode.
I need to move to the middle layer and select 'Play' where the default is 'Play All.'

Briefly, the problem seems to be, the left-rght arrow keys are active, but the up-down arrows are not.

Thank you.

Chris Kelly
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Chris Kelly » 21 May 2021 05:23

I can still play Blu-rays when checking the "No disc menu" checkbox. I forget what version of VLC I was on when I finally got Blu-ray menus to work running Windows 10 Pro 20H2 and Java 8 Runtime. But when I upgraded to Windows 10 Home 21H1 and VLC 3.0.14 and tried to load discs with menus, the discs would get stuck in the middle of loading when I tried Java 8 and then Java 10. VLC didn't even detect Java when I tried Java 7, 11, and 16. Is there any way I can tell VLC where to look for Java or something? Or is this a problem which can only be solved by the contributors and developers?

jimjulian
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby jimjulian » 21 May 2021 07:23

I read an online article that suggested manually altering the environmental variable for Java. In my case, the variable pointed to a previous version. After that, the menus would run.
I solved my problem by making custom hotkeys for Navigation Up and Down.
I also had to install DVDFab Passkey Lite and be online during play. Apparently, my X-Files set is not in KEYDB.cfg.
Good luck.

Chris Kelly
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Chris Kelly » 21 May 2021 13:00

Actually, I just run MakeMKV to play directly from my discs in VLC.
I read an online article that suggested manually altering the environmental variable for Java. In my case, the variable pointed to a previous version. After that, the menus would run.
I solved my problem by making custom hotkeys for Navigation Up and Down.
I also had to install DVDFab Passkey Lite and be online during play. Apparently, my X-Files set is not in KEYDB.cfg.
Good luck.

jimjulian
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby jimjulian » 21 May 2021 16:54

I changed the MakeMKV Integration preferences, but the change does not work.
"Blu-ray error:
No valid host certificate found in AACS config file.
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'bluray:///D:/'. Check the log for details."

https://forum.makemkv.com/forum/viewtop ... =4&p=89835

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”