Codec Error: Use Windows Media Player

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
cybmole
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Re: Codec Error: Use Windows Media Player

Postby cybmole » 31 Aug 2010 18:17

Those files usually don't contain copyrighted material. So they aren't illegal in that sense.
maybe so - you don't cvopyrigth a virus! - but I bet that the movie he was hoping to steal & watch is copyright & therefore illegal.

& whya re we even discussing this in VLC forum ?

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 01 Sep 2010 18:11

Because this same question is asked over and over. And every time we have to mention this.

dopesmokinhippie
New Cone
New Cone

Postby dopesmokinhippie » 24 Oct 2010 19:16

Lotesdelere's answer is the one that works for me.
Tried WMP and the movie file wanted me to go to another website, answer questions, lotta BS.
I'm going to delete the movie and see if I can get it somewhere else.
What a rip.

dominick22
New Cone
New Cone

Postby dominick22 » 28 Oct 2010 06:09

I hve Downloaded a movie in isohunt.com and it downloaded at BITTORRENT,the movie is "Megamind"...first i played it whit VLC and then this camed up in the screen"trying to play a HD file aborting redirecting to site"...it wants me to download their "all in one player" :?...but icnt download it because its so confusing...please help me...and i tried it also in MEDIA PLAYER and REAL PLAYER...but same stuff came up in the screen...please help...!!!

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 28 Oct 2010 09:10

this camed up in the screen"trying to play a HD file aborting redirecting to site"...it wants me to download their "all in one player" :?...please help...!!!
It's quite simple: just delete these files.

javton
New Cone
New Cone

Postby javton » 24 Nov 2010 02:35

hey i had the same problem and since i downloaded movies with this issue, my computer keeps freezing and stops working after i open any file or program. i runned nod32 and tune up utilities to fix the problem but it won´t work :( . can any of you please help me? i have windows 7 home edition.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 24 Nov 2010 17:35

This forum is dedicated to VLC related issues. If virus has messed up your computer, you have to go to another forum.

Jetzmaru
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Jetzmaru » 20 Dec 2011 08:15

Guys, there's no chance a movie that is in its first week of theater release is also going to be available on a rippable DVD. In your desperate eagerness or greed to have something that isn't out yet, you're swallowing the bait. Use common sense. Look at the titles, meant to entice you. Let's take the latest Sherlock Holmes "A Game of Shadows" as an example. These are actual torrent names you can google. Let's see what's fishy:

Sherlock Holmes A Game of Shadows 2011.720p.BluRay.x264-Felony
Sherlock Holmes A Game of Shadows (2011).BRRip XviD-FTW -- (for both of these -- come on now--it's not yet on DVD so how could it be on blu-ray?)
Sherlock Holmes A Game of Shadows (2011) DVDRip_XviD -- (again, it's not even on DVD yet, so how can this be a rip?)
Sherlock Holmes A Game of Shadows Uncut Version DVDrip 2011 -- ("uncut" sounds like "director's cut" -- but director's cuts are always released AFTER the first DVD release to boost flagging sales and be an extra money maker -- again, this doesn't yet exist)

The names look realistic. Once you start to "play" it, you get redirected to a malicious website that says things like "we need to protect our server, but it's still free--hope you understand", or "just click on one of the sponsored links - it only takes a second". All of this is to either give you a trojan or get you to buy something.

If you want proof that these are bogus, download Gspot to see what the codec is.

Take the video that gives you the message "Codec Error: Use Windows Media Player". Open it in Gspot. Gspot will tell you "Note: 866 MB unneeded bytes at end of file". In other words, the video is that bogus message, and actually very short. In order to make the file size look like a full length movie (700 MB or more) it's padded with fluff.

XweAponX
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 2.0.5 and 1.1.11
Operating System: Windows 7 and 8

Postby XweAponX » 12 Mar 2013 21:43

Just remember, it is not enough to scan your PC with your regular AntiVirus and AntiMalware programs - I use NOD32 for best AV protection - You have to check for Rootkits as well. With Malwarebytes, there is an addon program called "Anti Rootkit" under the "More Tools" panel in the program, it is an external download. Also try Kaspersky's TDSSkiller, which is more efficient in getting this crap off your machine. You can set most AV programs for active protection these days, it shows your machine down a bit but in the long run it is better to be SAFE.

We realise that these forums are for VLC related things, but any media that says "Error: Open with Windows Media Player" needs to be deleted instantly. Because, just use sense: What codec or format CAN'T be run in VLC? Not that much. So if it is asking to use a different app, DELETE the crap out of it then use ccleaner to secure-wipe all of your free space!

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”