0.9.9 .MKV?

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
cypriotg
New Cone
New Cone

Re: 0.9.9 .MKV?

Postby cypriotg » 02 May 2009 12:13

hi i have the same problem tried mkv files that have sub included they took long to load tried ones without subs and they loaded quick at first then on second goes they took long aswell

cypriotg
New Cone
New Cone

Postby cypriotg » 02 May 2009 15:08

i think i fgured out a way to do it just tried it and worked perfectly if you go to tools, preferences, at the bottom click show all then go to videos, subtitles/osd un tick enable sub pictures and on screen display then save restart vlc the files will open like they did on previous vlc's

cypriotg
New Cone
New Cone

Postby cypriotg » 02 May 2009 15:15

edit for previous post do not un tick enable osd. if you want to change aspect ratio keep osd ticked. Only Untick Enable Sub Pictures

jabelsen
New Cone
New Cone

Postby jabelsen » 02 May 2009 18:13

I also encountered a similar problem of VLC freezing up when trying to play .mkv files, and I had to kill VLC via task manager in order to close the program. This happened after I had completed an upgrade from v0.9.8a to v0.9.9.

I've tried to reinstall, reboot, and reinstall again without any luck. Though by downgrading back to 0.9.8a it works flawlessly again, except that now, every time I run anything in VLC, Windows changes my color theme to Windows 7 Basic, which it didn't do before.

Note that I run on Windows 7, build 7000, and yes, I know Win7 is beta and that bugs are to be expected, but I wanted to share my experience since someone might find it useful.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 03 May 2009 16:40

jabelsen: You use Direct3D video output module?

jabelsen
New Cone
New Cone

Postby jabelsen » 03 May 2009 23:01

jabelsen: You use Direct3D video output module?
I've always been using default settings, and never even had to open the preferences tab before, but I tried to switch it from default to OpenGL, and now it stopped disabling my aeros theme whenever I play anything from VLC. I also tried switching to Direct3D from OpenGL and Default, settings, which also seems to solve the problem of aeros themes being disabled, but if I switch back to default, my aeros themes are disabled again whenever I try to open any file from VLC.

Here's a screen shot of my settings when I first posted:

So, to sum it up: By changing the display output from "default" to "OpenGL" or from "default" to "Direct3D" my problem were solved. That said, which video output would you recommend? OpenGL or Direct3D?

By the way, I tried to upgrade to v.0.9.9 again, as the aeros themes problem were fixed, but I still can't play my .mkv files with v.0.9.9 no matter which settings I select, (any other file format I've tried works just fine in v0.9.9 though) but I guess I'll downgrade again to v0.9.8a so I can play my .mkv files again.

And for the record, thanks to the developers that has created this fantastic media player. Keep up the good work.

ReddHeretic
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ReddHeretic » 04 May 2009 08:46

Indeed, like everyone else here, the performance of MKV playback on my VLC has suffered after upgrading to the new version.

As reported by others, it requires between 7 and 10 seconds for MKV videos to load. Other problems I'm having include the inability to drag the player window when an MKV is playing. The window literally locks into place on screen and I cannot move it. This particular problem does not happen every single time, but it happens frequently.

The other strange behavior I'm encountering is that, if I'm playing a non-MKV video, stop it, and then open an MKV, it will open in a separate instance of the player despite the fact that my settings are currently configured to permit only one instance at a time.

SOME INFORMATION:

When I installed 0.9.9., I did not uninstall the previous version of VLC and did not delete my cache/user settings. When I first encountered the MKV issue, I tried "resetting" my preferences within the tools>preferences; this accomplished nothing. :lol:

The difficulty does appear to be related to subtitles given the fact that my MKVs all played flawlessly after I disabled them. I have not attempted to remove and reinstall, though from what I've read in this thread, it doesn't seem to resolve the problem.

I don't know if any of the above will be useful in getting this fixed (I don't consider myself a very technically knowledgeable user), but VLC is still hands-down the best video playback program I've ever used. While there are bigger things in the world to be upset about, I suffer from the compulsive need to have my media applications function absolutely perfectly. I do hope the "MKV Demon" is slain soon.

Thanks for the help guys, and keep up the stellar work.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 04 May 2009 18:16

Thanks. Devs should have enough info to pinpoint the issue now.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”