0.8.x Still A Better Player...

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
IRa
New Cone
New Cone

Re: 0.8.x Still A Better Player...

Postby IRa » 12 Nov 2008 22:04

0.8.6i and older are able to play TS recordings from DVB-T without problems but in most cases 0.9.x can't show anything. It just doesn't work in most cases but to make it more confused some files they are able to show. I hope some improvemets will appear very soon.

Bendit
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Bendit » 12 Nov 2008 23:16

Just an observation. I mostly play VIDEO_TS folders that have no menus. If you are like me, you need to do this:

Media->Open Disc, make sure you check "NO DVD menus", then browse for your directory.

This puts VLC in "dvdsimple" mode.

If you do not check the no dvd menus, you will get crappy performance.

When checkbox is checked, I get SUPERB performance and stability (I was sick once and played movies in the same instance of VLC for 8+ hours!)

Observation has been confirmed several times.

hope this helps. Cheers!
-=Plus vite, ça n'aurait pas été raisonnable!=-

HisPetsMaster
New Cone
New Cone

Postby HisPetsMaster » 23 Nov 2008 11:34

So I have a specific example, in fact I have two, of where 8.6i is better than 9.x version. In playback of h.264 files on an older system, the systems specs are as follows:

cpu: 1.8 ghz Athlon XP
Memory: 1 gig 333 mhz ram
Video card: 9500 ATI series 128mb on card
chipset : nforce 2 (the really good version of it, forget the exact designation)
PATA drive: 320gig x2, LG GSA-H55N burner
SATA " : 750 gig x2 Seagate drives.

Running windows 2k fully updated and running ubuntu as secondary dualboot OS.

First example: When skipping back or even forward in the file, with 8.6i I have no issues (except if I have some PDF document running also, since adobe is bloatware central), but with 9.x, even with the system completely lean, I usually get a few seconds of the previous scene still on the video.

Second example: Using that system I have some real problems playing back a h.264 encoded mkv format file at 720p resolution. I run the same file using the 8.6i (even when it arguably isn't supposed to run that file well) and I have no skips, no lags, no noticeable frame drops.

I would like to mention that I was loading the system down with the 8.6i, using emule, folding at home, antivirus and browser on regular pages and whatever else is normally running in the background. Yet with 9.x (newest version) the file was visually stuck while the sound kept going on, even though I had stopped everything else that I could stop from running.

AGAIN: having said all the above, I like the total feel (with some exceptions) of 9.x and I have found some files that do not play on 8.6i at all that 9.x series can play. But it seem to me that the decoding is not optimized as well as in 8.6x series OR that your using different "services" from the system that are less optimized than the ones used by 8.6x series.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 23 Nov 2008 18:43

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”