How enable GPU decoding?

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Aeneas
Cone that earned his stripes

Re: How enable GPU decoding?

Postby Aeneas » 09 May 2012 01:30

Where exactly is the GPU_decoding_enable switch in the Tools/Preferences/ALL settings menu ?
Exactly.

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 09 May 2012 09:33

Where exactly is the GPU_decoding_enable switch in the Tools/Preferences/ALL settings menu ?
Exactly.
viewtopic.php?p=264825#p264825

Aeneas

Postby Aeneas » 09 May 2012 09:40

That is in the Tools/Preferences/SIMPLE not the ALL settings menu.
Is this some sort of joke ?

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 09 May 2012 09:59

Of course it is there, in the codec->ffmpeg settings...
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Aeneas

Postby Aeneas » 09 May 2012 10:15

Of course it is there, in the codec->ffmpeg settings...
I tried that weeks before but it did not have any effect.
I doubt that VLC is in ffmpeg mode when playing my .m2ts or atsc/a52.
My experience with ffmpeg is that when it runs it likes to identify itself by name
with numerous notification icons at the bottom right of the Windows screen.
Last edited by Aeneas on 09 May 2012 10:23, edited 1 time in total.

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 09 May 2012 10:20

You asked:
Exactly.
And the exact answer is still Preferences (Show Settings = ALL) -> Input/Codecs -> Video Codecs -> FFmpeg, then on the right panel, at the bottom of the Decoding section, the option Hardware Decoding is there.
Exactly.

Aeneas

Postby Aeneas » 09 May 2012 10:26

That ffmpeg//hardware_decoding switch is what I turned on weeks back and which had no effect.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 09 May 2012 13:58

And complaining at the limit of insulting people or asking if it is a joke is the right way to do it?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 09 May 2012 20:56

My experience with ffmpeg is that when it runs it likes to identify itself by name
with numerous notification icons at the bottom right of the Windows screen.
You are confusing FFDshow to FFmpeg. They are different tools. VLC cannot use FFDshow.

Aeneas

Postby Aeneas » 09 May 2012 21:55

And complaining at the limit of insulting people or asking if it is a joke is the right way to do it?
I do not believe what I have said reached to the extent you allege.
This thread has existed for a long time, I have not read all of it by any means,
but it seems to overlook simple facts of which some of the participants must be aware.
Reading text solely, it is hard sometimes to know if people are being serious or not.

Do you believe GPU_decoding enabled can cause VLC crashes, and
is there any difference between Nvidia, ATI, Intel, pc graphics chipset reliability ?

omodecarton
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Postby omodecarton » 12 May 2012 21:17

Why with "Media Player Classic - Home Cinema" I can view mkv (720p) smoothly with my slow processor (Ahtlon Xp 3200+ and Radeon X1950XT) and this doesn't with VLC, even with GPU support activeted?

Aeneas

Postby Aeneas » 13 May 2012 02:04

I am noticing the same lack of smoothness on VLC playback often.
Media Player Classic does play more smoothly.
So does Windows Media Player play the video more smoothly, but for some reason WMP
disables the Audio on .M2TS and ATSC Mpeg-2 playback. Microsoft clearly
is willing this business to anyone else who wants it.

I find Media Player Classic consumes around 7% of CPU //Q6600 2.4GHz//windows 7 64//
on 1080P.
Media Player Classic is missing MPEG-2 ATSC Closed Captions (Subtitles) playback on/off and the Record capability in VLC.
If they implemented those items, it could be a necessary choice in this marketplace.
Are the same developers working on Media Player Classic ?
Hopefully not. VLC developers have some serious work ahead of them.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 13 May 2012 14:42

Why with "Media Player Classic - Home Cinema" I can view mkv (720p) smoothly with my slow processor (Ahtlon Xp 3200+ and Radeon X1950XT) and this doesn't with VLC, even with GPU support activeted?
VLC only supports GPU decoding with newer display adapters. Radeon X1950XT is too old for VLC.
Are the same developers working on Media Player Classic ?
Not AFAIK. FFmpeg/libavcodec that both VLC and MPCHC use are very similar, but they are used in different way these players.

BloodZeed
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby BloodZeed » 08 Jun 2012 04:22

this does not work with 12.6 ati drivers all flicking

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 09 Jun 2012 02:07

The beta?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

Melted Rabbit
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Melted Rabbit » 16 Jun 2012 05:49

With VLC 2.0.1, attempting to use GPU decoding for H.264 video with the Catalyst 12.6 betas and a Radeon 5870 seems to result in corruption, potentially due to lost frames. I don't know much about H.264 video in general, but the corruption reminds me of what one might see while suffering from poor digital TV reception. The video anomalies seem to be most problematic when a large portion of the screen moves. Turning off all of the video processing options in the Catalyst Control Center seems to have no effect. Flash player video in the browser does not seem to suffer from this issue.

Uninstalling only the driver component of 12.6, and then installing the official Catalyst 12.4 drivers seems to fix the problem. It isn't possible to downgrade directly to the 12.4 drivers, so expect to be asked to reboot.

Finding easily accessible video, that is in the public domain, that is small in size and shows the problem in an obvious manner was not easy:
Download the Quicktime version of the video on each page:

http://www.csb.gov/videoroom/detail.asp ... =1&F_All=y
The title screen looks odd to begin with, the type is not of uniform brightness. The video eventually cuts to recorded footage, and for no obvious reason the camera pans down, the corruption should become fairly obvious.

This motion in this video ends up being lost almost entirely. Once the explosion occurs, it looks literally like a slideshow.

I plan on submitting this to the AMD bug reporter; this seems more their problem than that of VLC.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 16 Jun 2012 22:50

I plan on submitting this to the AMD bug reporter; this seems more their problem than that of VLC.
Thank you, sir.

nhuythuy
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby nhuythuy » 22 Jun 2012 15:10

I am using VLCJ to make an video player application. Currently it takes about 35% CPU consumption to play a H264 video. I wonder if I can enable GPU decoding for VLCJ lib or could you suggest me another way to improve it? Below is my Preview callback implementation:

class PreviewCallback extends RenderCallbackAdapter {

@Override
protected void onDisplay(int[] rgbBuffer) {
if (previewEnabledProperty.get() || isPlayerPlaying.get()) {
imageBuffer.setRGB(0, 0, width, height, rgbBuffer, 0, width);
previewProperty.set(SwingFXUtils.toFXImage(imageBuffer, fxBuffer));
}
}
}

Thanks,

Thuy

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 22 Jun 2012 18:48

GPU decoding is one option, other is the loop filter trick

Code: Select all

--ffmpeg-skiploopfilter={0 (None), 1 (Non-ref), 2 (Bidir), 3 (Non-key), 4 (All)} Skip the loop filter for H.264 decoding Skipping the loop filter (aka deblocking) usually has a detrimental effect on quality. However it provides a big speedup for high definition streams.

Supernatural
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Supernatural » 01 Jul 2012 21:26

With VLC 2.0.1, attempting to use GPU decoding for H.264 video with the Catalyst 12.6 betas and a Radeon 5870 seems to result in corruption, potentially due to lost frames. I don't know much about H.264 video in general, but the corruption reminds me of what one might see while suffering from poor digital TV reception. The video anomalies seem to be most problematic when a large portion of the screen moves. Turning off all of the video processing options in the Catalyst Control Center seems to have no effect. Flash player video in the browser does not seem to suffer from this issue.

Uninstalling only the driver component of 12.6, and then installing the official Catalyst 12.4 drivers seems to fix the problem. It isn't possible to downgrade directly to the 12.4 drivers, so expect to be asked to reboot.

Finding easily accessible video, that is in the public domain, that is small in size and shows the problem in an obvious manner was not easy:
Download the Quicktime version of the video on each page:

The title screen looks odd to begin with, the type is not of uniform brightness. The video eventually cuts to recorded footage, and for no obvious reason the camera pans down, the corruption should become fairly obvious.

This motion in this video ends up being lost almost entirely. Once the explosion occurs, it looks literally like a slideshow.

The issue still exists on the Catalyst 12.7 beta. I've submitted a bug report to AMD as I've had the same issues you've detailed and do believe it is more on AMD's end as the issue didn't exist in the Catalyst 12.4 drivers.

I urge all other AMD videocard owners to report the issue as well.

UPDATE: After further testing it seems like this issue is as much VLC's as it is AMD's...

I played an h.264 MP4 file in WMP and it averaged just under 10% CPU usage which would seem to indicate that WMP is using hardware acceleration to play the file.
I then played the file in the DIvX Player with DXVA enabled in the settings and it played flawlessly.

Since it's able to play without issue in both WMP and the DivX player with hardware acceleration then perhaps VLC's GPU decoding can be tuned to eliminate the corruption in the new 12.6 WHQL and 12.7 Beta Catalyst drivers.

vlc_rox
New Cone
New Cone

Postby vlc_rox » 09 Jul 2012 22:19

Thanks for that. (Use GPU)

Win7 64, VLC 32 was at ~20 cpu now ~3.
mem has been ~45,000k both 32 or 64 Win7 OS

Thanx VLC team.

Whether any Linux or any Windows all the videos I watch worx great.

Have a good day.

vlc_rox
New Cone
New Cone

Postby vlc_rox » 09 Jul 2012 22:56

I just got an Asus M5A78L-M LX PLUS, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 kit and added an XFX AMD Radeon HD 7700. wheeeewwwww
My daughter inherited a M2N SLI-Deluxe Dual Core, 4gig w/a 1gig GT220 nVidia to watch YouTube social crap and mom gotz her Intel whatever w/XFX GS 7600 to watch videos on her big screen. (prob guyz w/big 'ems)
Win7 32 & Win XP 32 respectively with PCLinuxOS XFCE dual boot.
I don't do gaming, don't care to either. But still would like to stress this b*tch and send results to AMD for their CPU and co-conspirators at ATI.
Win7 64 is at 7.5 for graphics & cpu. What else can I provide.? First 30 days is stress days, make it or break it.
Tried 3d Mark. Had to sign in to see results. Don't like that. But is that best for results.
Thanks.

BionicForces
New Cone
New Cone

Postby BionicForces » 11 Jul 2012 21:57

I also experience problems with enabled GPU decoding on windows 7x64; black window, only sound.

I'm using the catalyst WHQL driver 12.6 for my Radeon 6970.

I have the suspicion that the AMD Vision Engine control center is part of the problem, since if I only install the graphic card drivers (graphics + HDMI sound) everything works fine. As soon as I install the Vision Engine Control Center the black-window-problem instantly appears. If I uninstall everything but the drivers and reboot, the problem disappears again.

On my machine the problem not only affects VLC but also the windows media player. For some reason only Apple quick time is not affected; I don't know if it uses GPU decoding, though. So in the end I'm pretty sure that AMD is doing something wrong.

If I can be of any help by e.g. providing logs let me know

Bionic

surgex
New Cone
New Cone

Postby surgex » 14 Jul 2012 14:59

Hi Everyone -- I am experiencing this issue as well.
It was hard to determine if it was VLC or CCC causing the problem as both of them just got updated within the past week.

I just have two things to add that have already been noted by others:

1.) Reverting to CCC 12.4 fixes it
2.) Using 12.7 beta CCC or 12.6 CCC (released) works fine with any other video program besides VLC [windows media player, etc...] (tested all 2.x versions of VLC).

So...any new information here?

EDIT:

http://community.futuremark.com/forum/s ... &p=1698994

"A minor problem found with 12.6 drivers, they corrupt gpu accelerated video playback on certain players..."

HAH @ Minor problem. Guess it's AMD's fault.

BionicForces
New Cone
New Cone

Postby BionicForces » 14 Jul 2012 17:32

I could get rid of the black-window-problem by following instructions AMD support sent me when I reported the problem.

Seemingly remains of older drivers/applications can corrupt the operation of the latest ones. Uninstalling the drivers, removing any ATI/AMD folders and cleaning the registry fixes the "black window" problem. But "blocky" decoding still occurs in 12.6.

Bionic

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”