VLC 1.1.0 don't unload when closed under XP

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
BerserkerNord
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLC 1.1.0 don't unload when closed under XP

Postby BerserkerNord » 15 Sep 2010 11:59

Here's an experiment. Try uninstalling VLC and removing your C:\Program Files\VideoLAN directory, then reinstall. Does it still occur? What about on a "fresh" install of XP does it still occur? what about safe mode? What about if you run it "skinned" does it still fail?
Unloading issue still occurs after complete uninstall of VLC, including deleting profile files in Application Data.

I can't say about fresh install of XP or safe mode (yet).

BUT! If I use the start menu shortcut called "VLC media player skinned" that installing VLC creates, then the unloading problem does not occur at all! (vlc.exe -Iskins is the command line switch the shortcut uses) When I run VLC "skinned", this is what happens: no tray icon is created regardless of settings, but playing audio/video files works normally, and closing VLC from the X button in the upper right corner of the interface causes VLC to immediately quit properly, and the vlc.exe process terminates immediately. So the unloading problem does not happen when running VLC in "skinned" mode. I can't say why, but I suppose that means the issue is in the default VLC "non-skinned" interface. Or maybe it's some Windows issue, because the skinned VLC does not use the normal Windows close, minimize and maximize buttons, the skin seems to include its own buttons for those functions and the buttons look very different to the normal Windows GUI. I guess the X button in the skinned VLC interface just does the equivalent of what CTRL+Q does in the normal VLC interface (CTRL+Q always leads to a clean exit from VLC, it's just the X button close that doesn't work right).

ant
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby ant » 15 Sep 2010 15:02

BUT! If I use the start menu shortcut called "VLC media player skinned" that installing VLC creates, then the unloading problem does not occur at all! (vlc.exe -Iskins is the command line switch the shortcut uses) When I run VLC "skinned", this is what happens: no tray icon is created regardless of settings, but playing audio/video files works normally, and closing VLC from the X button in the upper right corner of the interface causes VLC to immediately quit properly, and the vlc.exe process terminates immediately. So the unloading problem does not happen when running VLC in "skinned" mode. I can't say why, but I suppose that means the issue is in the default VLC "non-skinned" interface. Or maybe it's some Windows issue, because the skinned VLC does not use the normal Windows close, minimize and maximize buttons, the skin seems to include its own buttons for those functions and the buttons look very different to the normal Windows GUI. I guess the X button in the skinned VLC interface just does the equivalent of what CTRL+Q does in the normal VLC interface (CTRL+Q always leads to a clean exit from VLC, it's just the X button close that doesn't work right).
Interesting. I am using the portable version with my own D:\winstuff\vlc\vlc.exe Start Menu shortcut. I tried D:\winstuff\vlc\vlc.exe -Iskins and it seems to exit fine even though it never showed a system tray icon like you said.
Ant @ Ant's Quality Foraged Links (http://aqfl.net) and The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.home.dhs.org).

rogerdpack
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
Operating System: windows

Postby rogerdpack » 15 Sep 2010 20:56

I see 7 threads (with the same offsets, function calls etc) as the previous poster reported, BUT WHAT IS INTERESTING is that ALL 7 threads seem to be in "wait" states. It looks like VLC has fallen into some sort of "deadlock loop" where all the threads are "waiting" for other threads to do something ?

Thread 7 - msvcrt.dll!endthreadex+0x43 - State=Wait:UserRequest
(Self Terminates after 355 seconds)
Stack:
ntkrnlpa.exe!KiUnexpectedInterrupt+0xbc
ntkrnlpa.exe!PsLookupThreadByThreadId+0x4aaa
ntdll.dll!KiFastSystemCallRet
kernel32.dll!WaitForMultipleObjects+0x18
libqt4_plugin.dll+0x71e53b
msvcrt.dll!endthread+0xaf
kernel32.dll!GetModuleFileNameA+0x1b4

After Threads 5 and 7 terminate the entire VLC process ends.

Hope this nfo helps :-)

Yeah they all seem to be in this call: KeReleaseInStackQueuedSpinLockFromDpcLevel

except for the one above, which is somewhere in libqt4_plugin.dll.

rogerdpack
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby rogerdpack » 15 Sep 2010 21:00

Could somebody on whose box it fails please build it from trunk and/or http://github.com/juhovh/vlc ?
Maybe it is fixed in there? (just throwing out wild guesses).

ant

Postby ant » 15 Sep 2010 21:04

I see 7 threads (with the same offsets, function calls etc) as the previous poster reported, BUT WHAT IS INTERESTING is that ALL 7 threads seem to be in "wait" states. It looks like VLC has fallen into some sort of "deadlock loop" where all the threads are "waiting" for other threads to do something ?

Thread 7 - msvcrt.dll!endthreadex+0x43 - State=Wait:UserRequest
(Self Terminates after 355 seconds)
Stack:
ntkrnlpa.exe!KiUnexpectedInterrupt+0xbc
ntkrnlpa.exe!PsLookupThreadByThreadId+0x4aaa
ntdll.dll!KiFastSystemCallRet
kernel32.dll!WaitForMultipleObjects+0x18
libqt4_plugin.dll+0x71e53b
msvcrt.dll!endthread+0xaf
kernel32.dll!GetModuleFileNameA+0x1b4

After Threads 5 and 7 terminate the entire VLC process ends.

Hope this nfo helps :-)

Yeah they all seem to be in this call: KeReleaseInStackQueuedSpinLockFromDpcLevel

except for the one above, which is somewhere in libqt4_plugin.dll.
I wonder if we can rename/move/delete this file and test VLC to see if that is the cause. I am not at my XP machine to try it at this time. :(
Ant @ Ant's Quality Foraged Links (http://aqfl.net) and The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.home.dhs.org).

ant

Postby ant » 15 Sep 2010 21:04

Could somebody on whose box it fails please build it from trunk and/or http://github.com/juhovh/vlc ?
Maybe it is fixed in there? (just throwing out wild guesses).
I would try it, but I am not at that machine and I don't how to build/compile. Is there a howto guide so I can try it later if it is easy and when I have time (don't wait for me though, people)?

Zurg
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Zurg » 15 Sep 2010 21:38

I posted a similar situation to this, about using a custom skin to enable VLC to close completely, on the first page of this thread. However, I found that with a custom skin, opening the 'Preferences' window by right clicking, selecting 'Interface', then 'Preferences', then closing 'Preferences' with its X button, stopped the skinned interface's X button and even Ctrl+Q from terminating the vlc.exe process. Does this situation occur with the vlc.exe -Iskin mode?

BerserkerNord
New Cone
New Cone

Postby BerserkerNord » 15 Sep 2010 23:58

I posted a similar situation to this, about using a custom skin to enable VLC to close completely, on the first page of this thread. However, I found that with a custom skin, opening the 'Preferences' window by right clicking, selecting 'Interface', then 'Preferences', then closing 'Preferences' with its X button, stopped the skinned interface's X button and even Ctrl+Q from terminating the vlc.exe process. Does this situation occur with the vlc.exe -Iskin mode?
Yes, it occurs. If I open the Preferences menu at any point when using the Skinned VLC interface, and then close the Preferences menu from the X button, that results in a VLC that won't close properly no matter what. The window will disappear, but its title will remain in the Windows task bar like VLC was still running, and vlc.exe does not terminate.

This is one weird bug. Sadly all the compiling and advanced troubleshooting style stuff is beyond what I can do :(

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 16 Sep 2010 00:41

If you launch VLC without qt, cmd line: vlc.exe -Irc and quit does it work?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

wraythex
New Cone
New Cone

Postby wraythex » 16 Sep 2010 05:06

It is strange, when I launch VLC with the above command line I see no gui at all. I can see the process in task manager, but that command line doesn't produce a gui for me. The options are upper-case i, lower-case r, lower-case c, correct? Is there a different command line we can try?

BerserkerNord
New Cone
New Cone

Postby BerserkerNord » 16 Sep 2010 09:53

If I use command line "vlc.exe -Irc" to start VLC, then no window for VLC is created and VLC process hangs in the background taking 100 % of CPU. Killing the process manually is only way out. It doesn't give me a chance to ever see the closing X button, so can't try.

Zurg
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Zurg » 16 Sep 2010 20:28

I have been using 'jackofblades' workaround of 'Docked Playlist' unchecked in the view menu, with the Playlist window behind the main VLC window (not minimised to the taskbar), which I find always enables the vlc.exe to terminate when closing the VLC main window with its X button, even when it has focus. Today however, I noticed that if you separate the two windows and give the main VLC window focus this doesn't work, the Playlist window remains, but the slightest touch to this remaining window with the cursor causes it to close and the vlc.exe to terminate.I also noticed that just touching the two windows together, or overlapping them by a fraction, does not enable a complete close down with this workaround, the outer window frame has to be breached into the GUI to complete the coupling.Just thought this may be of some relevance.

blunderbuss
New Cone
New Cone

Postby blunderbuss » 18 Sep 2010 06:36

I too have a similar problem on xp svc pk 2.. when closed, minimised icon in taskbar stays unless I right-click.. bit irritating.., especially when you open another file.. then you get two.. etc. and I have version 1.1.4..! Also since installing a couple of days ago, I did a defrag.. and it came up "cant defrag all files"... never happened before and I'm wondering if its down to vlc's "cache" file. Also it did something odd with fontcache.. said it was re-building.. never had that before either.. any suggestions welcome.. err .. well not ANY suggestions..heh heh.

amar
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby amar » 21 Sep 2010 10:31

I have the same problem on my XP SP3 with VideoLAN 1.1.4. When I close the palyer, the icon in the toolbar at the right still is there. When I then shut down the system, the following error dialog with the title "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library" pops up:

Assertion failed!

Program: C:\Programme\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe
File: ../../../.././modules/gui/qt4/co.../interf...ets.cpp
Line: 83

Expression: !stable

This message might help a developer to find the bug.

justmike
New Cone
New Cone

Postby justmike » 21 Sep 2010 11:49

Yes, this major XP bug continues and is not even being worked on, even though 60% of the world's computers are still running XP. I don't know if they got the "only work on the latest software" infection from Micro$oft or what.

VideoLan used to be superb -- and small.

It's going the way of the old west, just like Firefox, Ad-Aware, etc. via the usual Micro$oft method: They "improve" a thing until it's --please stay polite-- up, then they jump to working on the "next" Operatiing System and ignore the past bugs.

rogerdpack
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby rogerdpack » 22 Sep 2010 23:26

start vlc.exe -vvv ...
what does

vlc -vvv --extraintf=logger

do for log file vlc-log.txt
?

p91
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby p91 » 23 Sep 2010 03:24

Code: Select all

-- logger module started -- main debug: using interface module "logger" main debug: TIMER module_need() : 4.000 ms - Total 4.000 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 4.000 ms) main debug: looking for interface module: 1 candidate main debug: using interface module "hotkeys" main debug: TIMER module_need() : 1.000 ms - Total 1.000 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 1.000 ms) main debug: looking for interface module: 1 candidate main debug: using interface module "globalhotkeys" main debug: TIMER module_need() : 2.000 ms - Total 2.000 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 2.000 ms) main: VLC wird mit dem Standard-Interface ausgeführt. Benutzen Sie 'cvlc', um VLC ohne Interface zu verwenden. main debug: looking for interface module: 4 candidates main debug: Activated main debug: rebuilding array of current - root Wiedergabeliste main debug: rebuild done - 0 items, index -1 main debug: looking for extension module: 1 candidate lua debug: Opening EXPERIMENTAL Lua Extension module lua debug: Trying Lua scripts in D:\Profile\username.PC1\Anwendungsdaten\vlc\lua\extensions lua debug: Trying Lua scripts in C:\Programme\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\extensions lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\Programme\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\extensions\allocine-fr.lua lua debug: Scanning Lua script C:\Programme\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\extensions\allocine-fr.lua lua debug: Script C:\Programme\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\extensions\allocine-fr.lua has the following capability flags: 0xc main debug: using extension module "lua" main debug: TIMER module_need() : 5.000 ms - Total 5.000 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 5.000 ms) main debug: using interface module "qt4" main debug: TIMER module_need() : 76.000 ms - Total 76.000 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 76.000 ms) main debug: deactivating the playlist main debug: Deactivate main debug: saving Medienbibliothek to file D:\Profile\username.PC1\Anwendungsdaten\vlc\ml.xspf main debug: looking for playlist export module: 1 candidate main debug: using playlist export module "export" main debug: TIMER module_need() : 2.000 ms - Total 2.000 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 2.000 ms) main debug: removing module "export" main debug: Deactivated main debug: removing all services discovery tasks main debug: removing all interfaces
If I do that command, vlc will load.
I clicked on the x-Button and copied the log file.
VLC doesn't unload.
WinXP SP3 VLC 1.1.4

sacharja
New Cone
New Cone

Postby sacharja » 23 Sep 2010 16:08

If I use command line "vlc.exe -Irc" to start VLC, then no window for VLC is created and VLC process hangs in the background taking 100 % of CPU. Killing the process manually is only way out. It doesn't give me a chance to ever see the closing X button, so can't try.
Confirmed.

It's the Qt interface.

As a workaround you can select
Tools>Preferences>(Show Settings>All)>Interface>Main Interfaces>Interface Modul>SKINNABLE INTERFACE

And to all developers:
the bug just occurs if a video is loaded. Was any developer able to confirm this bug on Windows XP? If not I could provide an example video where vlc.exe continues to run in background after closing it (tray icon is not reacting then and it has to be closed through task manager). I guarantee that we're able to reproduce this on any XP machine, I installed it on 5 different machines and the error occured even after a fresh XP install without any more software on it.

p91
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby p91 » 28 Sep 2010 02:23

The error also happens if no video was loaded.
Have no idea why but it does ^^

And the trick with the skinable interface lets my vlc crash at start up.
Maybe we see more then one error here?

rogerdpack
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby rogerdpack » 28 Sep 2010 20:44

Was any developer able to confirm this bug on Windows XP?
I am not a developer but wasn't able to reproduce it on any of my 3 or 4 XP boxes. Unfortunately a screencast isn't enough to really help all that much. I wonder why it doesn't do this on my boxes...

rogerdpack
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby rogerdpack » 28 Sep 2010 20:47

does it occur with a nightly build? http://nightlies.videolan.org/build/win32/last/

dpolsrod
New Cone
New Cone

Postby dpolsrod » 29 Sep 2010 11:00

I just wanted to let you guys know that the issue is in Vista as well.
I'm running Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.vistasp2_gdr.100608-0458)
My current VLC version is 1.1.4 and I've tried a clean install, deleted preferences and deleted the vlc folder in appdata\roaming.
I have also tried the newest nightly build (vlc-1.2.0-git-20100929-0003-win32).
Ctrl-Q and X when VLC is not focused always closes VLC and the process.
If I start VLC, just open the Preferences, click Cancel and then click X in VLC the process lingers in the background and has to be manually killed.
This also happens in most cases when I play music or videos.

Would love to see this bug/issue laid to rest. ;-)

sacharja
New Cone
New Cone

Postby sacharja » 29 Sep 2010 17:21

Ok, after I closed the vlc and I still see the tray icon the log says:
main debug: removing module "wingdi"
wingdi debug: DirectXEventThread terminating
wingdi debug: DirectXCloseWindow
wingdi debug: WinProc WM_DESTROY
main debug: removing module "qt4"
qt4 debug: releasing video...
Now I left-click on the icon and the process is closed and the log is continued:
qt4 debug: IM: Deleting the input
main debug: Destroying the input for
main debug: TIMER input launching for
.(closing modules blah blah)
So we get the big bang "qt4 debug: releasing video..." and "qt4 debug: IM: Deleting the input". Whatever happens between that is causing the error.

Spykerhond
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Spykerhond » 29 Sep 2010 21:58

AFAIK there isn't any proper workaround for this. Only way is that someone traces the bug and provides a fix for it.

...I wont answer any questions untill the neh-neh-neh like a baby or will you be too busy ?? I have he same problem with the last 3 builds (XPsp3 tip top up to date)

rogerdpack
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby rogerdpack » 30 Sep 2010 19:03

umm...I can't reproduce it in Windows 7, either. I'd be happy to allow somebody access to a vmware windows image if they would like to use it to try and set it up to reproduce the thing. It would have to be off line of course :)
-r

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”