VLC 2.0/2.0.1/2.0.2 audio stuttering/lag

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
nmoore2001
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLC 2.0/2.0.1/2.0.2 audio stuttering/lag

Postby nmoore2001 » 05 Jan 2013 05:31

I have been experiencing exactly the issues described in this post, but I just figured out a fix for my configuration. My solution would probably only be effective for Windows Vista/7/8, unless you've got a sound card with an application that manages audio separately with your older OS. If you have another audio manager this may also apply to you but you're on your own for finding where you'd adjust your speaker configuration. I'm using Windows 8 Pro 32 bit, VLC 2.0.5, Intel i3, Intel HD Graphics w/HDMI, Realtek HD Audio, Gigabyte Motherboard.

How to fix in Windows Vista / 7 / 8:

-Right click on the Speaker/Audio icon in the system tray and choose Playback devices
-Right click your audio output device (in my case a TV connected via HDMI) & choose Configure Speakers
-Under audio channels select "Stereo" & test, then press next
-Select "Front Left & Right" & click finish.

I realized I had previously configured my settings for 5.1 surround & since everything else worked besides VLC, I forgot that I had made that change... Reverting it back to Stereo solved my issue. I am able to consistently reproduce the issue by adjusting the settings back to 5.1 surround. The VLC errors I get when configured for 5.1 audio are:

-audio output is starving, playing silence
-audio output out of sync adjusting dates
-not synchronized, resampling
-timing screwed, stopping resampling
-buffer way too early

maestro
New Cone
New Cone

Postby maestro » 11 Jan 2013 02:49

>> likely a cross-platform issue.
>> I doubt it is not a cross-platform issue.

Just to add a note that this Stuttering is also happening on my Mac OS X systems: MacMini+Lion and MacBookPro+M-Lion.

Stutters occur on 1/15 songs. It is driving me crazy... can't get through a playlist without having to press Stop and then Play and then the same song plays fine.

All the errors on Mac are consistent with those posted in this thread. I have tried every suggestion in this and other threads but no Mac fix so far.

SSonik
New Cone
New Cone
Operating System: Windows / Linux

Postby SSonik » 28 Jan 2013 16:15

>> likely a cross-platform issue.
>> I doubt it is not a cross-platform issue.

Just to add a note that this Stuttering is also happening on my Mac OS X systems: MacMini+Lion and MacBookPro+M-Lion.
Do you have a bootcamp install of Windows on one of those Macs? If so, can you check if stuttering occurs under both Mac OS X and Windows, or if it's just OS X?

nande
New Cone
New Cone

Postby nande » 13 Mar 2013 11:32

Hello guys, i just registered to say that i'm having the same exact problem, not only in my pc, but in others.
I really love vlc and i hope you can fix this, as its a blocking bug, not a normal bug, you simply cant use vlc AT ALL with this.
I'm sure is not problem of the pc. i've followed every comment and theory in this and other threads, also reinstalled and cleaned the preferences lots of times.
I'm a developer so i don't think is just a pebkac.
I tried removing some plugins but to no avail.
As a sidenote, in my pc, the tempo of the music varies. For me is very bad and unconfortable as i listen very closely to music and make videos that go in synch with audio. I tried setting VLC to NOT strecth the audio, but it just keep doing it.

It always loads some "resampler" plugin.

Everyother media player works fine. VLC cpu consumption is below 10%. i do not notice activity on disk and my ram is more than enough.

I hope you can fix this someday soon.

djfruit54
New Cone
New Cone

Postby djfruit54 » 15 Mar 2013 18:49

Version 2.1.0git-20130310-0403 for Windows 7 64 bit

I keep hoping that the new build or bug fix or uodate will resolve this annoying problem. I find that this audio stuttering and lag is more pronounced when one advances the video position and the prblrm also affects the video picture play back which also stutters or freezes momentarily. I mainly use the Flash video or .flv format

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 15 Mar 2013 21:30

Version 2.1.0git-20130310-0403 for Windows 7 64 bit

I keep hoping that the new build or bug fix or uodate will resolve this annoying problem. I find that this audio stuttering and lag is more pronounced when one advances the video position and the prblrm also affects the video picture play back which also stutters or freezes momentarily. I mainly use the Flash video or .flv format
What audio output?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Nexing
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Nexing » 16 Mar 2013 22:54

After years on problem-free VLC on different PC/laptops, two days ago I updated to 2.0.5 twoflower version and instantly it started with the 3 to 5 secs pops or drops.
Hours streamlining my OSs mostly on service disabling, a ramdisk installation and whatnot (it was due anyway) but to no avail.

Many tests, restarts after, replaced the default 48000 choice, for 44100 in the audio DEMUXER preferences, after all EVERYTHING in my PCs is either wav or .raw from discs (or several lofi video files), since at the end the audio files might be used at professional or studio environments.
///And voila! ZERO pops or stutter (except when i open some other media or resources related software, that produces a small stop/tutter, but this is not VLC fault).

Hope it helps

Intel core i5-2410M
Crucial 1600Mhz DDR3 1.35v 16GB RAM
WIN7 64bit

Boggan
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Boggan » 21 Mar 2013 10:06

replaced the default 48000 choice, for 44100 in the audio DEMUXER preferences
I checked on both my 2.0.4 and 2.0.5, and there is no " Demuxer " under audio preferences.
I found one under " Input / Codecs " but no option for 48K -> 44K
Same thing in Audio preferences, there isn't such an option.

Could you please post the full path to it?

Nexing
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Nexing » 22 Mar 2013 20:25

@Boggan
I've just saw your post, somehow haven't received the reply notification, though I am subscribed to this thread...

Go to Inputs-Codecs ->Demuxers -> Raw Audio
And there, replace the default 48.000 for 44.100

I understand that theoretically this needn't to interfere with other format's playing... perhaps there is a higher level problem related (see the vlc-2.0.6 samplerate=44100=crash ongoing thread).

That said, selective disabling services has been quite good on my laptop's overall latencies and this time in Windows 7, it was very easy to disable and enable them back, because the "System Configuration" records and shows the date they were disabled and automatically stops and changes the properties of each service.
For years i had been manually doing it directly at the "Services" module both are accessible through the Administrative tools folder.

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 23 Mar 2013 11:10

The sample rate parameter only controls the sample rate of plain raw audio byte streams. Hardly anybody uses that; it only works from the command line interfaec. Besides changing the sample rate would cause pitch shift in this particular case.

Basically, that parameter has absolutely no influence whatsoever on normal audio playback, other than maybe placebo effect.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

Bigling
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Bigling » 10 Aug 2013 01:55

DanteElysium
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 2.0.4 32bits
Operating System: Windows 7 64bits

Postby DanteElysium » 28 Aug 2013 21:59

Hello everybody !

The problem seems to be solved in VLC 2.1 RC1 !
In my case, the sound is now perfect without stuttering ! :D

Good work !
Windows 7 64bits Ultimate
MB: Asus P6TD Deluxe
CPU: Intel Core i7 930
RAM: 6Go
Graph: Sapphire Radeon HD 5870 Vapor-X

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”