Videos stop right away

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
rhodeye
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Videos stop right away

Postby rhodeye » 08 Jan 2007 18:47

I downloaded the latest version of VLC but the shoutcast TV videos stop after playing for only 2 or 3 seconds. If I double click the pause play function the piceture is all distorted(you know, when the picture is made up of all those coloreful little squares). If I repeatedly double click the pause/play I sometimes can get the picture to play for maybe 15 seconds. If I stop the pkicture to change the channel most often i don't get any picture but I do get the sound,and sometimes a station other than the one I picked will play(but only the sound).Is this problem familiar with anyone? I would lave to be able tho see these videos. Thank you

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 08 Jan 2007 19:16

rhodeye
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

What good is that web sight?

Postby rhodeye » 10 Jan 2007 05:58

Could the reason be maybe its because Windows 98 is not fully supported. You answered with this web address http://www.dslreports.com/stest but all I found there was a speed test. I don't know what that has to do with my question about the videos stopping practically as soon as they start. Do other W98 users see the videos succesfully? Could it be my 8or 9 year old emachine (etower series) can't run it? It has 160Mb RAM memory. thanks

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 10 Jan 2007 09:17

Receiving a stream has everything to do with the bandwidth of your connection and the resolution of the media file you want to receive.

Considering Windows 9x was never optimized for DSL or ADSL, another good place for you would be:

http://cable-dsl.home.att.net

rhodeye
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Too worried to try anything

Postby rhodeye » 14 Jan 2007 19:19

This sight you gave http://cable-dsl.home.att.net might help but I'm too worried that I'll do something to mess things up. I know little more than basics of computers. Other things seem to be going fast enough so I don't know if following the instructions to 'increase TCP Receive Window' from that sight you gave me) will even work . DO YOU KNOW IF OTHER PEOPLE RUNNING WINDOWS 98 CAN GET THE SHOUTCAST TV VIDEOS and are their other videos besides shoutcast on VLC? Maybe my 8 year old emachine is the reason I have trouble. It has a pentium(r) II processor Intel MMX(TM) tecnology, 8.4 GB hard drive, ATI 3D Rage Pro Turbo 2x AGP graphics with 4MB SGRAM. It came with 64 MB memory but now has 160 MB. Is there a phone no. I can call for support on this problem? Thanks

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 14 Jan 2007 19:31

1. 'increase TCP Receive Window' Yup! That's the ticket for a 9x - Me machine.

2. There probably hasn't been a phone # you can call in well over 5 years after the warranty ran out.

rhodeye
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

ticket for a 9x Me machine?

Postby rhodeye » 14 Jan 2007 23:16

I am running 98 not 98Se(second edition) or 98Me. The download page for Windows Media player says I must use version 7.1. Are you saying if I increase the TCP Receive Window, as instructed in that sight you gave me, that I can get windows Media Player version 9 even though I'm running windows 98? If so I might try it but will probably ask you a few questions before I do. Thanks again.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 14 Jan 2007 23:29

I'm confused by your question as the Internet connection speed has nothing to do with the Player the operating system will support. Also I have no idea as to what 98me is?? There was several versions of 95 then there was 98, 98se and ME. The recommendations are the same for all 9x - Me machines. The change in the way the registry is kept and written was in Windows 2k and is still this way for XP.

rhodeye
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby rhodeye » 15 Jan 2007 00:46

Windows Media Player 7.1 (for Win 98)

Windows Media Player 9 Series (for Windows 98 SE, Me, and 2000)

I copied and pasted the above two sentences directly from the Windows Media download page and I take it as meaning I can't have the version 9 because I am using Windows 98. I thought you were trying to tell me I could if I increase the TCP Receive Window. What are you refering to when you say 9x-Me machine. I thought you meant something to do with Media version 9 and the Me edition of Windows. Maybe there was a missunderstanding and noone with windows 98 can get Shoutcast videos as I mentioned before. How about a better video card? I can't get some games downloaded either . Well I can download them and install them but they won't play

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 15 Jan 2007 06:48

I will try this on last time. The player WMP or VLC has nothing to do with the TCP Receive Window. What this does is regulate the speed of your Internet connection (assuming a DSL or ADSL connection). In Windows 9x - Me operating systems the setting was to low and so was the transfer rate this change corrects the problem and the difference can be measured by going to http://www.dslreports.com/stest

If you are so worried about the change screwing up your machine you haven't read the documentation as this can be undone if you don't like it, but I can't even imagine this.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”