CDDB access

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
dme999
New Cone
New Cone

CDDB access

Postby dme999 » 24 Nov 2006 09:28

Forgive a newbiee question

How do I get CDDB access in VLC version 0.8.5 for windows to work ?

I am using the software downloaded from the website, not a local build.
I have tried with other software, EAC and Foobar2000 and have no problem getting CD track information from Freedb.

What am I doing wrong with VLC ?

Regards

David

platon
New Cone
New Cone

Postby platon » 03 Jan 2007 14:55

Yea, I would really like to know that too. I´ve stfw for hours but there does not seem to be a single page that tells you what to do, when you inserted an audio-cd and want to receive cddb information but get none. There is nothing in the manual and neither to this nor to that other viewtopic.php?t=29965&highlight=cddb question (that seems to pose the opposite problem) there´s an answer in the forum. :cry:
I´ve tried this on a windowsXP Machine both with vlc portable 0.8.5 and with vlc 0.8.6

thanks so much for help!

Platon

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 03 Jan 2007 19:04

While this may be a feature on the Mac it has never been a feature for Windows. This info... is gained off the web as a service and not obtained locally as it doesn't exist on the CD.

Kri-Shan
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Kri-Shan » 04 Jan 2007 09:23

But since this site (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/features.html) it should work... Or have i misunderstood this feature?

platon
New Cone
New Cone

Postby platon » 04 Jan 2007 10:02

Hello DJ,
This info... is gained off the web as a service and not obtained locally
But how is it gained off the web? Automatically? Is there simply no CDDB-information on "the web" for my Audio-CD if I see none in the playlist? Or do I have to start a service, load a plugin or something of that sort?
It was the statement
CDDB information provided by libcddb on all supported platforms excepting BeOS.
that got me hoping originally.

Thanks
Platon

tqft
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Pref Setting

Postby tqft » 04 Jan 2007 11:10

Settings
Preferences
Input/Output Codecs
Access Modules
Audio CD
Advanced Options

Now see if these options are set
CDDB Server freedb.freedb.org
CDDB port 8880

if not change them to that and SAVE.

Then see if it works now
Live forever apes

platon
New Cone
New Cone

Postby platon » 04 Jan 2007 12:29

Thank you tqft! At least now we know where in the program CDDB support is located. Unfortunately these settings were already set in my client. I´ve looked up some of the cds I´m trying to play and the´re in freedb.org. But no informations in my playlist...
Settings
Preferences
Input/Output Codecs
Access Modules
Audio CD
Advanced Options
above the options you named in this window there is a field that just states -1 but doesn´t have a name or mouseover. Is that setting right?

Thanksalot
Platon

tqft
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Use the port Luke

Postby tqft » 04 Jan 2007 13:22

EAC and Foobar2000
What url & port are these 2 programs using?

If you can't find it, try changing the port in vlc to 80

I have no idea what the -1 is about, you can try changing if you want but it is probably hidden and unlabeled for a reason. If port 80 doesn't work, you can try changing it to 0 or 1, but I won't be held responsible for the result.
Live forever apes

platon
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Use the port Luke

Postby platon » 04 Jan 2007 13:35

Hello tqft
EAC and Foobar2000
What url & port are these 2 programs using?
I think neither of these programs are running on my computer - according to the taskmanager at least. Should they?
I´ve tried your other suggestions with no success.
I´m behind a router - does that matter? any portforwarding to do?

Thanks
Platon

platon
New Cone
New Cone

Postby platon » 04 Jan 2007 13:47

Just from your experience, what does vlc do, when the CDDB-support works? does a window open stating the attempt to download from freedb? Does the information appear automatically in the playlist? And what happens if your cd isn´t registered on freedb? Do yo get an error-message?

Thanks
Platon

Kri-Shan
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Kri-Shan » 08 Jan 2007 11:39

The problem I have is, that VLC doesn't even ask to download information from

Code: Select all

freedb.freedb.org
when I insert a CD and I also can't find a button to connect to the server.
The settings in the "audio cd" field are the same as stated above.

In the plugins-folder I can only find the "libcdda_plugin.dll" but no "libcddb*.dll".
Isn't this .dll nescessary and if so, where can I get it? I have only found this page http://libcddb.sourceforge.net/download.html but there are only packages for Linux but not for win32.

almalaci
New Cone
New Cone

cddb in VLC

Postby almalaci » 06 Mar 2007 18:02

I have the exact same problem under linux: there is no cddb whatever port I'm trying but I don't think I have any cddb plugin installed either? Could someone who has it working enlighten us?
Thanks

stchman
New Cone
New Cone

Re: cddb in VLC

Postby stchman » 14 May 2007 19:46

I have the exact same problem under linux: there is no cddb whatever port I'm trying but I don't think I have any cddb plugin installed either? Could someone who has it working enlighten us?
Thanks
I have the exact same problem in Ubuntu. Thing is that other apps like Sound Juicer gets info for CDs when a CD is inserted so I know that it does work. The server is freedb.freedb.org with port 8880 used. I also have the libcddb2 package installed.

Thanks

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”