BUG: No more pausing after adding subtitle (0.8.6)

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
renox
New Cone
New Cone

BUG: No more pausing after adding subtitle (0.8.6)

Postby renox » 02 Jan 2007 16:21

Since 0.8.6 there is a new feature that allows you to add subtitles on the fly. (By moving a subtitle file into the player while its playing a movie.)

There is a new bug though. After adding the subtitle file to your player, the player wont be able to pause the video anymore. Pausing will ONLY pause the subtitle AND NOT the video.

Hopefully you guys can change it so pausing will be able to pause the subtitle AND movie.

renox
New Cone
New Cone

Postby renox » 03 Jan 2007 02:00

I'm bumping it as nobody is reading this topic and I want this bug to be fixed. :)

Here is a bit more of information in case people want to reproduce the bug:
VLC Version: 0.8.6
Movie File: Any AVI file
Subtitle File: Any SRT file

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 03 Jan 2007 05:36

AVI type files don't reliably support subtitles in any program unless we are talking about DivX (.divx) and VLC does not support DivX subtitles.

Tappen
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby Tappen » 03 Jan 2007 06:20

Wow you're right renox! I start an mp2 file and drop it's subtitle file on it (after renaming so it didn't get picked up automagically) and no more pausing! And there's nothing in the Messages window to suggest anything is wrong. What a weird bug. We need to open a Trac issue.

renox
New Cone
New Cone

Postby renox » 03 Jan 2007 15:01

AVI type files don't reliably support subtitles in any program unless we are talking about DivX (.divx) and VLC does not support DivX subtitles.
I don't know what you are talking about. First I was not talking about .divx subtitles. I made that clear in my second post.
And second: Pausing worked just fine before 0.8.6. (Although you had to add the subtitle before starting the movie). So I dont see why it shouldnt work now. Actually I do: It's just something the programmers forgot about when they added subtitle-on-the-fly-support

--

It's on trac now.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 03 Jan 2007 18:58

As I recall, the drag and drop for subs was claimed to be NOT working in 0.8.5 and was fixed in 0.8.6 and confirmed by the same users in the nightly builds. This is probably where the bug crept in.

Really I wouldn't know because I always rename external subs and they are kept in the same folder as the video file they belong to, so all the subs I have auto load and this works for me in all the formats I have tried.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”