¿VLC virus?

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Pepelotas
New Cone
New Cone

¿VLC virus?

Postby Pepelotas » 01 Jan 2007 15:21

I'm an old VLC user, but a few days ago, 10 sec after VLC is launched by a movie appears a green paint into the VLC window. I try to re-install it several times, older versions included and the same thing occurs. It seems like a virus that is installed in the register. I don't know if is there any way to trace the processes (with ctr-alt-del no new process have been found). I use win 2000 as OS. ¿Have anybody a solution? Thanks in advance

Tappen
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby Tappen » 01 Jan 2007 19:45

Delete your preferences directory C:\Documents and Settings\[your login name]\Application Data\vlc and try again. The most common problem is bad configuration. The 2nd most is bad video files. Did you try a few different files? (and not just different episodes of a series)

Pepelotas
New Cone
New Cone

pepelotas

Postby Pepelotas » 02 Jan 2007 19:40

I tried what you said. The first time VLC launches its all ok., but the second and further launches the green paint appears. I have a Filemon list with all the proceses VLC opened, but is useless to me.Is there any way to post it? It is about 690KB long. Regards

Pepelotas
New Cone
New Cone

Pepelotas

Postby Pepelotas » 02 Jan 2007 19:52

New notices: the problem is not present when I change the seventh option in General Video Options, "Transparencia de video". When I mark it, no green picture appears but the image is awful. The display drivers I use are the GForce 5200.

Tappen

Postby Tappen » 02 Jan 2007 22:57

Interesting, in the English version that item is called "Overlay video output" and allows VLC to use the hardware acceleration provided by your video drivers to directly send the video to the screen bypassing most of Windows.

I'd suggest you turn this back on, then go to Video/Output modules and try different choices from the list there (make choice, Save, close VLC, re-open and try video each time). The problem seems to be in your video drivers. Do you have the latest installed? Did you change them recently? You either need to change them or find a video output module that isn't broken.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”