Subtitle files disappeared with 8.6

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
mike18xx
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Subtitle files disappeared with 8.6

Postby mike18xx » 28 Dec 2006 05:49

WinXP, fully updated (except for IE7), VLC8.6, Preferences folder nuked.

Attempting to play AVI files with associated English-language subtitle files (identically named, and in same folder).

-- I have no trouble playing the files, but the subtitles submenu will not appear.
-- Subtitles MAY appear even when the file is manually chosen in Settings > Preferences > Video > Subtitles, but MAY NOT [b]unless[/b] VLC is quit and relaunched. And even then, that particular file is then "hardwired" and will play over every subsequent video unless shut off or deselected again (very annoying procedures).
-- The subtitle files in question displayed automatically on older versions.

Subtitles are my A#1 concern with VLC right now -- if a video type won't play, I can always run it through Total Video Converter to turn it into something else, but without subtitles I got nothin'.

IMO, there needs to be a prominent "Subtitles" menu command right smack front & center; no screwing around several evels deep in Preferences.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 28 Dec 2006 09:41

The external subtitle selection is from the open file menu. The Preferences option is not necessary.

mike18xx
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby mike18xx » 29 Dec 2006 23:17

A Subtitles option on the menubar (appearing between Video and Navigation would be the shizzits.

(The main problem, however, remains unaddressed -- that being the poor performance of subtitle auto-recognition.)

Tertiary gripe: Is there are setting hidden somewhere which enable me to open multiple instances of VLC (a la 85 and earlier) rather than adding a new launch to the list and jumping to it? That behavior is driving me nuts, as I frequently desire to have several things open at once for quality comparison purposes.

dionoea
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby dionoea » 30 Dec 2006 18:50

In VLC 0.8.6 you should be able to drag and drop the subs file on the video. (i don't know if this helps)
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea
(Please do not use private messages for support questions)

Tappen
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby Tappen » 31 Dec 2006 06:16

For me the subtitles menu item appears as a submenu of Video

mike18xx
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby mike18xx » 31 Dec 2006 09:25

[quote="Tappen"]For me the subtitles menu item appears as a submenu of Video[/quote]That's the way it SHOULD work; we're talking about those cases where the app doesn't auto-recognize the files it's seeing in the video's folder.

Tappen

Postby Tappen » 01 Jan 2007 01:11

In preferences, Advanced Settings (Advanced Options on) did you accidentally check "Allow only one running instance"?

Subtitles have worked well for me in 0.8.6, better than 5. Of course all my subtitle files have the same name as the video file with .srt extension, so I haven't tested a lot of variations.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 01 Jan 2007 03:28

In preferences, Advanced Settings (Advanced Options on) did you accidentally check "Allow only one running instance"?
This is the default in 0.8.6 and has nothing to do with subtitle recognition.

Also all subtitle formats will be recognized if the sub caries the same name as the video file and exists in the same folder.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”