how to (re)set file associations

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
JackRnl
New Cone
New Cone

how to (re)set file associations

Postby JackRnl » 28 Dec 2006 07:51

I've searched this forum to find how to set file associations in VLC.
It seems to be possible but nowhere I can find how. remarks do not get further then "during installation" or "activate checkbox" or "using Windows Explorer | Tools | Folder Options", NOONE tells where to find it WITHIN VLC and I couldn't find it myself too.

So I guess I will not be the only one who has this problem and I want to ask those who DO know to explain EXACTLY where to find setting the file associations in VLC.

Thanks in advance

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 28 Dec 2006 09:19

During the install of the program.

JackRnl
New Cone
New Cone

Postby JackRnl » 28 Dec 2006 16:38

During installation it is possible (indeed) to set file associations, but how can I do it AFTER instalation (as other programs might change some)?

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 29 Dec 2006 11:57

You can't. Just reinstall VLC and choose what you want.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 29 Dec 2006 18:54

In Windows Explorer. Tools -> Folder options -> File types.

JackRnl
New Cone
New Cone

Postby JackRnl » 30 Dec 2006 08:10

so it seems NOT possible to do this in VLS itself, I think that is an omission.

The remark you made "Windows Explorer | Tools | Folder options'
I mentioned already in the original question, but that can hardly be an alternative as you have to set it manually for EACH filetype something VERY annoying especially if another programm changes them (like winamp and windows media player) while updating itself.
Apart from that I don't see icons in the filelist of Windows Explorer indicating VLC will be the file to open a certain filetype (apart from the default windows icon), that also is something I think is an ommission and is VERY annoying to set for each filetype manually after another programm claims filetypes.

If anybody knows a better method (maybe by creation of a registry file???) or a way to access it in VLC itself pls respond

n3twork
New Cone
New Cone

Postby n3twork » 30 Dec 2006 09:12

Just run the install again and checkmark only vlc and file type associations... takes a whole 45 seconds ruffly maybe a minute. Your main problem is that you have to go tell WIndows Media Player and Winamp not to take over file associations when they start...

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”