problem compiling

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Skunkmaster
New Cone
New Cone

problem compiling

Postby Skunkmaster » 27 Nov 2006 21:57

Hello I am trying to compile vlc for about 3 days now,
I overcame all the ad-dons, but now I get the following error while trying to compile it by make:

Code: Select all

$ make export MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET= make all-recursive make[1]: Entering directory `/home/Skunkmaster/vlc-trunk' Making all in intl make[2]: Entering directory `/home/Skunkmaster/vlc-trunk/intl' make[2]: Nothing to be done for `all'. make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/Skunkmaster/vlc-trunk/intl' Making all in loader make[2]: Entering directory `/home/Skunkmaster/vlc-trunk/loader' make[2]: Nothing to be done for `all'. make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/Skunkmaster/vlc-trunk/loader' Making all in src make[2]: Entering directory `/home/Skunkmaster/vlc-trunk/src' srcdir=.. builddir=.. ../toolbox --update-version make all-recursive make[3]: Entering directory `/home/Skunkmaster/vlc-trunk/src' make[4]: Entering directory `/home/Skunkmaster/vlc-trunk/src' if gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -DSYS_CYGWIN -I../include `top_build ." ../vlc-config --cflags vlc` -Wsign-compare -Wall -pipe -MT libvlc_a-li -MD -MP -MF ".deps/libvlc_a-libvlc.Tpo" -c -o libvlc_a-libvlc.o `test -f c.c' || echo './'`libvlc.c; \ then mv -f ".deps/libvlc_a-libvlc.Tpo" ".deps/libvlc_a-libvlc.Po"; rm -f ".deps/libvlc_a-libvlc.Tpo"; exit 1; fi In file included from ../include/vlc_common.h:1165, from ../include/vlc/vlc.h:153, from libvlc.c:38: ../include/modules.h:122: error: parse error before "module_handle_t" ../include/modules.h:122: warning: no semicolon at end of struct or union ../include/modules.h:132: error: parse error before '}' token In file included from libvlc.c:84: libvlc.h: In function `vlc_entry__main': libvlc.h:1124: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type libvlc.h:1124: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type libvlc.h:1124: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type libvlc.h:1124: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type libvlc.h:1124: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type libvlc.h:1124: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type libvlc.h:1124: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type libvlc.h:1124: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type libvlc.h:1124: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type libvlc.h:1124: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type libvlc.h:1124: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type libvlc.h:1124: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type libvlc.h:1124: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type libvlc.h:1909: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type libvlc.h:1910: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type libvlc.h:1910: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type libvlc.h:1911: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type libvlc.h:1911: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type libvlc.c: In function `VLC_Init': libvlc.c:345: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type libvlc.c:346: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type libvlc.c:348: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type libvlc.c:353: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type libvlc.c:355: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type libvlc.c:401: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type libvlc.c:452: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type libvlc.c:512: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type libvlc.c:541: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type libvlc.c:545: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type libvlc.c:549: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type libvlc.c:553: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type libvlc.c:557: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type libvlc.c:563: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type libvlc.c:580: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type libvlc.c:595: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type libvlc.c:597: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type libvlc.c:604: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type libvlc.c:606: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type libvlc.c: In function `Usage': libvlc.c:2149: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type libvlc.c:2155: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type libvlc.c:2163: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type libvlc.c:2174: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type libvlc.c:2175: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type libvlc.c:2177: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type libvlc.c:2180: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type libvlc.c:2204: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type libvlc.c: In function `ListModules': libvlc.c:2411: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type libvlc.c:2415: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type libvlc.c:2416: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type make[4]: *** [libvlc_a-libvlc.o] Error 1 make[4]: Leaving directory `/home/Skunkmaster/vlc-trunk/src' make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1 make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/Skunkmaster/vlc-trunk/src' make[2]: *** [all] Error 2 make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/Skunkmaster/vlc-trunk/src' make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1 make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/Skunkmaster/vlc-trunk' make: *** [all] Error 2
I have checked the header file and it looks ok, I have also checked the compiler version vs the one in the howto file and they match.
any suggestions?

funman
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: All of them

Postby funman » 28 Nov 2006 16:51

update your tree, and paste what's at the line mentioned in the errors (one line up and one line down too). also give your distribution and gcc version. good luck :)

Skunkmaster
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Skunkmaster » 02 Dec 2006 16:59

Hi,
I am using the original source from svn at the moment so i am pretty sure its the source is not the issue.
I am using gcc version 3.441 as mentioned by the cygwin howto.

the only problem that I have found with the guide is that some of the versions of cygwin packages are old and the cygwin installation lets me install only new version even if I click and change them.

thanks for your reply, any help would be appreciated.

Skunkmaster
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Skunkmaster » 03 Dec 2006 18:45

Hello again I got tired from trying to compile the package,
is there any chance that someone will zip its entire cygwin dir as is and send it to me.
I can give ftp access if needed,
contact at engeeks dot com
thank you.

silentmaster
New Cone
New Cone

Postby silentmaster » 09 Dec 2006 01:54

Hello,

I am getting same issue as posted above. Does anyone know how to fix the issue?

I am using gcc version 3.4.4 and am working in Cygwin environment.

Thanks in advance

mgreene
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby mgreene » 12 Dec 2006 14:29

I am also getting this exact same error...

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 12 Dec 2006 14:31

Don't use Cygwin, but Mingw/Msys. It is faster and works way better.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”