Grainy pictures on DVDs (not just VLC)

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
HyperHacker
Cone that earned his stripes
VLC version: 0.8.6e
Operating System: WinXP SP2

Grainy pictures on DVDs (not just VLC)

Postby HyperHacker » 13 Nov 2006 10:49

I rented a Neon Genesis Evangelion: Death and Rebirth DVD and it had a photo gallery option in the bonus features. I flipped through it on my standalone DVD player and it worked fine, and I decided I'd grab a few of the images for wallpapers on my laptop. For some reason though the images come out grainy and distorted both in VLC and Media Player Classic, as if they were scaled down to 8-bit colour. The rest of the movie plays fine and they looked alright on the standalone box. What could be making them look funny here?

Screenshots included:
http://hypernova.amarok-shadow.com/MySt ... -12934.png
Looks like a poorly-encoded JPEG, but this is how it really looks on the disc.

http://hypernova.amarok-shadow.com/MySt ... -12987.png
(Possibly not work safe if you work in like a school or something. Nothing spectacular.)
The most noticeable. Looks like massive colour reduction. You can see above the breasts and to some extent in the background that most of the yellow parts have been faded very harshly to green, and some pixels seem to be lost entirely (the mouth of the girl in the middle is almost invisible). They are supposed to have yellow skin (funny lighting) but they're certainly not supposed to fade to green. O_o

Again this happens in both players but they all look fine on the TV with a standalone player. The rest of the movie looks fine. Tried changing video modules and disabling overlay to no avail.
[ PC: WXP Pro SP2 | 1GB RAM | 250GB HD | 256MB Radeon 9550 | 1.7ghz AMD Sempron | VLC 0.8.6e (wxWidgets) ]
[ Laptop: Gateway MX7515 | WXP Pro SP2 | 1GB RAM | 100GB HD | 128MB Mobility Radeon X600 | 2.6ghz AMD Athlon | VLC 0.8.6e (wxWidgets) ]

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 14 Nov 2006 17:21

You have NVIDIA display adapter?
Go to NVIDIA control panel and choose color correction and under that Overlay and but colors right (or update your drivers).

HyperHacker
VLC version: 0.8.6e
Operating System: WinXP SP2

Postby HyperHacker » 15 Nov 2006 00:44

No, I have "ATI MOBILITY RADEON X600".
[ PC: WXP Pro SP2 | 1GB RAM | 250GB HD | 256MB Radeon 9550 | 1.7ghz AMD Sempron | VLC 0.8.6e (wxWidgets) ]
[ Laptop: Gateway MX7515 | WXP Pro SP2 | 1GB RAM | 100GB HD | 128MB Mobility Radeon X600 | 2.6ghz AMD Athlon | VLC 0.8.6e (wxWidgets) ]

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”