Screensaver/Powersaving problem

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
SilverPaladin
New Cone
New Cone

Screensaver/Powersaving problem

Postby SilverPaladin » 25 Oct 2006 23:33

Hi,

i have a little problem. I set that my Monitor goes blank after 5 minutes so i dont have to use a screensaver, but every new build since 0.8.4a doesnt reset to my setting. I think something gone wrong with the screensaver override.
In the last days i also tried some new nightly builds and it doesnt work with them. My OS is Windows XP Pro SP2

Any ideas or suggestions to solve this problem?

Hew Jazz
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Hew Jazz » 26 Oct 2006 19:47

I have the exact same problem except im running sp1 for xp pro. Everytime I use vlc player, I have to reset my power options or my monitor won't turn off. Anyone know whats up with this?

joseph5
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby joseph5 » 28 Oct 2006 23:38

Same here with Windows 2000.

SilverPaladin
New Cone
New Cone

Postby SilverPaladin » 29 Oct 2006 00:40

No comments from the officials?

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 29 Oct 2006 19:50

This is a known issue. The only thing you can do at the moment is follow new releases or the nightly builds. VLC 0.9.0 is not suggested. But VLC 0.8.6 test 1 is running for your comments.
Last edited by DJ on 07 Jan 2007 23:08, edited 1 time in total.

SilverPaladin
New Cone
New Cone

Postby SilverPaladin » 11 Dec 2006 23:34

the problem is still not solved. :roll:

ellciem
New Cone
New Cone

disable screensaver option still not working

Postby ellciem » 03 Jan 2007 16:46

disable screensaver option works in v0.8.5 but not in v0.8.6. i downgraded to v0.8.5.

EQC
New Cone
New Cone

Postby EQC » 07 Jan 2007 23:05

Just want to add my name to the thread/keep it alive. I noticed the same problem...after shutting down VLC 0.8.6, it doesn't re-enable the computer's powersave options, so the monitor does not shut off after an idle period like it should. I recently upgraded from 0.8.4a, which did not have the problem. Uninstalling the new version, and reverting to the 0.8.4a, made things work correctly again.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 08 Jan 2007 05:03

The power save functions have been screwed up since before 0.8.2 just give it time. There is a ticket on the issue. so perhaps somewhere in the future this will get fixed.

EQC
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Screensaver/Powersaving problem

Postby EQC » 25 Oct 2007 08:29

Is there any word on whether or not this problem has been fixed yet?

Back when I used version 0.8.6, it had a few useful advantages over the 0.8.4 that I'm using now...but not having my monitor turn off when VLC is off and I'm idle is a deal breaker for me. It's especially annoying since I use my non-administrator account -- so, to re-enable the power settings, I have to log off, log on as administrator, change things, then go back to my normal account.

I've checked the "change list" info that comes out with new versions (0.8.6b, 0.8.6c) but didn't find any mention of this problem being addressed.

funman
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: All of them

Postby funman » 25 Oct 2007 16:38

just remove the libscreensaver_plugin.dll in the plugins directory of VLC installation folder so it won't be used

kroimon
New Cone
New Cone

Postby kroimon » 15 Jan 2008 23:59

Just wanted to push up this topic again...
Same problem right here. VLC never restores my power saving settings after the playback has been stopped, which really is disturbing.
Any new information about that?

mmoreimi
New Cone
New Cone

Postby mmoreimi » 24 Jan 2008 07:18

Is there any word on whether or not this problem has been fixed yet?

Back when I used version 0.8.6, it had a few useful advantages over the 0.8.4 that I'm using now...but not having my monitor turn off when VLC is off and I'm idle is a deal breaker for me. It's especially annoying since I use my non-administrator account -- so, to re-enable the power settings, I have to log off, log on as administrator, change things, then go back to my normal account.

I've checked the "change list" info that comes out with new versions (0.8.6b, 0.8.6c) but didn't find any mention of this problem being addressed.
It doesn't hurt to download 0.8.6c anyways...

I uninstalled 0.8.6a and chose the "remove my preferences" checkbox during uninstall. I installed 0.8.6c and it and it was fine.

EQC
New Cone
New Cone

Postby EQC » 12 Aug 2008 11:22

Just tried upgrading to the latest version: 0.8.6i.

Still has the same exact problem. Start up VLC, turn it off, and the power-save setting of the monitor is disabled. I only ever use my non-administrator account in XP Pro (now upgraded to SP3), not sure if it is a problem with all user account levels. Although, it is particularly annoying under a non-administrator account since I have to log in as an administrator to re-adjust the power settings.

As mmoreimi suggested, I tried uninstalling 0.8.6i and removing my preferences/cache. I reinstalled 0.8.6i, and the problem is still there.

So, based on this thread, this problem was introduced almost 2 years ago, which seems a bit disheartening. I've still got my install file for 0.8.4, and I guess I'll be reverting to that...again.

I understand that it takes time to fix things...two years without any change (or more, if the problem really began with 0.8.2 as suggested above) has me losing faith. Is there any way to make it a priority that this problem gets fixed? I'd like to use the other features of the new versions: 0.8.4 doesn't even deal with some DVD's correctly. But having my monitor on all night after I use VLC is more of a deal breaker...

I know it's not this simple...but since this problem was created a few versions back, have any of the programmers looked into the old versions to try to see what went wrong with the code related to power settings?

regarding funman's suggestion: does anybody know what would happen if I "remove the libscreensaver_plugin.dll in the plugins directory of VLC installation folder so it won't be used" -- will that disable all of VLC's ability to alter power settings? Will that allow the monitor to turn off while I'm watching a movie in VLC? Is deleting libscreensaver_plugin.dll a real solution, or will it just create other issues?

Hoping this issue gets some attention one day....

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 12 Aug 2008 17:24

You can try dll deleting. It shouldn't cause crashes or anything like that. Problem is that VLC doesn't really have any full time Win32 devs so there are many issues in Win32 builds.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”