HELP - how to tune a channel for DVB-T card

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
wlkrjn
New Cone
New Cone

HELP - how to tune a channel for DVB-T card

Postby wlkrjn » 25 Oct 2006 17:59

Hi folks,
I have been using vlc for a short while and I am really impressed with it.
I can stream dvds and files beautifully. Only one thing escapes me - how to define channels for my DVB-T card. I cannot find any information on how to set up a channels configuration file so that vlc can tell the tuner to tune to the right frequency.

NB: I have the same problem in Linux - I have working config files for linux kaffeine, and can tune and play dtv in kaffeine, but i cannot find any information on how to construct and where to put the channels.config for linux so vlc can tune to a tv channel.
So I am stuck on both fronts - I do not know how to define a tuner config file for either windows or linux and where to put it if I can create one

please help
waaaaarggggghhhh

wlkrjn
New Cone
New Cone

Postby wlkrjn » 27 Oct 2006 02:45

Hmm
Nobody knows?
I have created a channels.conf from scan, and the used that to tzap a channel. Then I have used mplayer from the command prompt to view a channel. Very badly. Kaffeine did a better job. So I know the tuner card is seen and it works. It is just using vlc to tune a channel and stream that is the issue now. I may have to rewrite it - make it monolithic just for my HW..
In windows I am experimenting with graph builder and the MS tv technologies. I will also have a go at writing a monolithic tuner/streamer for my hardware in windows.
On another note, once i have recorded a channel (using the original windows software) the streaming quality is excellent when played in vista on another machine (64 bit vista). Much better than when watching the show live - why? I think it is because the IGP drivers from ATI for my mb include a driver for the hardware mpeg2 decoder on board the mobo. This is neither fast nor is it good quality - software decode is better. If I uninstall the gart and mobo drivers, then windows just uses software decoding (i think). This is much faster and better quality.

cheers
waaaaarggggghhhh

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 27 Oct 2006 04:48

You can make a m3u playlist and then switch channel with N and P.

The m3u playlist looks like this when opened in notepad:

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:-1,Viasat Explorer
#EXTVLCOPT:dshow-tuner-channel=1
dshow://
#EXTINF:-1,SVT 1
#EXTVLCOPT:dshow-tuner-channel=4
#EXTINF:-1,Kanal 5
#EXTVLCOPT:dshow-tuner-channel=20
#EXTINF:-1,SVT 2
#EXTVLCOPT:dshow-tuner-channel=21
#EXTINF:-1,TV 4
#EXTVLCOPT:dshow-tuner-channel=23
#EXTINF:-1,TV 3
#EXTVLCOPT:dshow-tuner-channel=25
#EXTINF:-1,BBC Prime
#EXTVLCOPT:dshow-tuner-channel=26
#EXTINF:-1,Eurosport
#EXTVLCOPT:dshow-tuner-channel=28

wlkrjn
New Cone
New Cone

Postby wlkrjn » 27 Oct 2006 05:45

Thanks
errmm, where do I stick it :)

On another note - fedora core 6 has completely broken dvb-t, for my card anyways. At a guess the drivers are no longer compiled into the kernel. But this forum is for windows.

sigh

VLC works very nicely with a dvd now though.
waaaaarggggghhhh

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 27 Oct 2006 09:50

.m3u is a playlist, so that's where to stick it. :) You can make a playlist with any text editor, just remember to give the file a .m3u extension.

VLC supports playlists in every operating system so this should not be an issue. But Linux does have a forum!
Last edited by DJ on 28 Oct 2006 03:10, edited 1 time in total.

wlkrjn
New Cone
New Cone

Postby wlkrjn » 27 Oct 2006 13:25

thanks for your help
waaaaarggggghhhh

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”