Bug: Screen blanks on monitor move

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Loren Pechtel
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Bug: Screen blanks on monitor move

Postby Loren Pechtel » 29 Sep 2006 04:37

Unfortunately I can't trigger this reliably.

My hardware configuration is 3 monitors. Monitors #1 and #2 are connected to the primary video card, an AGP card. Monitor #3 runs off a PCI card. They are physically arranged #2, #1, #3. If I launch Videolan on monitor #3 and then drag it to monitor #2 sometimes it blanks out on the transition from #1 to #2. Dragging it to #1 will restore the image and it will remain if dragged back to #2.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 29 Sep 2006 04:45

This is a Windows issue where as Microsoft describes in their Knowledge Data Base that an AGP card will take precedence over a PCI card and you may have problems when there are more than 2 monitors. Unfortunately they never describe the nature of the problems. :P

Loren Pechtel
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Loren Pechtel » 29 Sep 2006 19:59

But I'm moving from the PCI to the AGP--a Windows bug that gives priority to the AGP shouldn't cause a problem.

Incidently, it happened moving from #3 to #1.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 29 Sep 2006 20:17

Actually, I would think the problem would be the second monitor on the AGP card. But I have never had 3 monitors to try to work this one out. If it is workable considering Microsoft's statements.

Monsu
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Monsu » 26 Oct 2006 11:37

I'm having the same problem. Any clues anyone?

Loren Pechtel
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Loren Pechtel » 26 Oct 2006 16:38

Actually, I would think the problem would be the second monitor on the AGP card. But I have never had 3 monitors to try to work this one out. If it is workable considering Microsoft's statements.
1) It works *MOST* of the time. It always can be recovered by dragging it back and forth.

2) It very occasionally fails on PCI -> AGP primary.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 26 Oct 2006 20:56

Hmm! Now that sounds more like Microsoft. :)

Monsu
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Monsu » 27 Oct 2006 15:06

1) It works *MOST* of the time. It always can be recovered by dragging it back and forth.

2) It very occasionally fails on PCI -> AGP primary.
Yeah, that's exactly how it works. My only problem is that I'm trying to build a software which moves the windows in place automatically, so dragging back and forth isn't really a possibility. I'm trying to solve it by moving the windows in like 10 steps to the target monitor withing the soft. This works on some videos, others doesn't. What I'm trying to achieve is that every window on my wall would work automatically, whatever the input video is.

If anyone can think of an easier way to achieve this, any help would be nice.

And btw. changing the VLC code directly from my part is not considered an option. :)

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”