VLC and Multimedia Keyboard

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Simon1983

VLC and Multimedia Keyboard

Postby Simon1983 » 17 Apr 2006 19:59

I do have a Keyboard with additional Multimedia keys like Start/Pause, Stop, Previous, Next etc.

All my Multimedia Apps do support that, except VLC. Is there a way to get VLC working with such keys?

Win98SE
VLC 0.8.4
Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro with Intellitype Pro 2.2 Driver

Simon1983

Postby Simon1983 » 19 Apr 2006 03:30

no one? :cry:

Postby Guest » 19 Apr 2006 05:48

i'm not an expert on vlc, but if you adjust the hotkeys, you can choose any key for whatever....isn't that what you're looking for?....ah, you might not have the option to choose one of those keys?.

dionoea
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby dionoea » 19 Apr 2006 08:48

You can't chose multimedia keys yet. I might try adding that next week.
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea
(Please do not use private messages for support questions)

Simon1983

Postby Simon1983 » 20 Apr 2006 00:17

That would be great. Thank you. Will this be added in 0.8.5 or do i have to install plugin or what?

@Guest
Sure, i can change the setup of the multimedia Keys. But i'm unable to choose Keyboard keys like n or p. That would not be a great idea because that would collide with oder Multimedia Apps like Winamp.

So a native Multimedia Key Support in VLC would be really great.

dionoea
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby dionoea » 20 Apr 2006 00:44

That would be great. Thank you. Will this be added in 0.8.5 or do i have to install plugin or what?
Considering that we are about to release 0.8.5 and are in the final phase of bug fixing, i doubt that it will make it in 0.8.5. But it will definitively be in 0.8.6 if i get it to work.
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea
(Please do not use private messages for support questions)

Oakfather

Postby Oakfather » 23 Apr 2006 09:59

I would appreciate that a lot as it is a feature i have been missing for quite some time now. I had always wondered why most other media players respond to multimedia keys and vlc does not.

unfrostedpoptart
New Cone
New Cone

Postby unfrostedpoptart » 01 Aug 2006 00:43

Considering that we are about to release 0.8.5 and are in the final phase of bug fixing, i doubt that it will make it in 0.8.5. But it will definitively be in 0.8.6 if i get it to work.
Hi.

Please add me to vlc users who would really, really like to see this change! I did get vlc to work with one of my multimedia keyboards. I had to go into the settings for the keyboard and change the strings sent by each key to match what vlc expected. Of course, now the keys don't work with any other video/music programs!

Any update now that 0.8.5 is released?

Thanks much,

David

Postby Guest » 03 Aug 2006 16:58

This is a very old topic.
Posted ist about 3 times in the past half year.
And everytime someone wanted to add support for it withhin the next week.

And if you ask me it is no even a prob of the vlc programmers but the people who create the skins for vlc forgetting to add hotkey support.

But since I'm neither able to create skins or to add features to vlc I just try to come around with it.

unfrostedpoptart
New Cone
New Cone

Postby unfrostedpoptart » 20 Oct 2006 23:35

Hi - it's been a few months and I thought I'd check if there was any update to this. It would really be great to control VLC from the media buttons on my keyboard.

Thanks,

David

Asim
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby Asim » 21 Oct 2006 17:38

And if you ask me it is no even a prob of the vlc programmers but the people who create the skins for vlc forgetting to add hotkey support.

But since I'm neither able to create skins or to add features to vlc I just try to come around with it.

lol... what've you been smoking buddy? Skin creators only do one thing... create skins... as far as i'm aware we dont have any control over the "hotkey" buttons

anyway... getting back on track... i'd think it would be great too... i have one of those multimedia keyboards... and i believe it would add some extra functionality... (personally... i want it to be hard-coded... so people dont have to muck around with the "hotkey" settings)

Sie Léon
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Sie Léon » 30 Oct 2006 16:23

wateras
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: VLC and Multimedia Keyboard

Postby wateras » 26 May 2010 13:19

problem still seems to persist with newest version, and microsoft kb 4000, didn't work with my previous ms kb either.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: VLC and Multimedia Keyboard

Postby VLC_help » 26 May 2010 22:09

Please, don't wake up OLD threads.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”