Bug: Slider vanishes upon playing a second movie

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Loren Pechtel
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Bug: Slider vanishes upon playing a second movie

Postby Loren Pechtel » 08 Oct 2006 18:44

The situation:

I am watching some .avi files that are a series of files. As one ends (there is some extraneous stuff at the end I'm not watching so the movie doesn't actually end) I use quick open to select the next one. Sometimes VLC resets to the native size of the file, sometimes it remains at the size I had previously set it to.

If it remains at the previous size the movie grows over the time slider. Resizing the window will restore the slider.

funman
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: All of them

Postby funman » 09 Oct 2006 14:21

does it happen with a nightly version ?

Loren Pechtel
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Loren Pechtel » 09 Oct 2006 14:59

I haven't tried the nightly, just the current release version.

I've also found that it's not 100% but I haven't identified what causes the difference.

funman
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: All of them

Postby funman » 09 Oct 2006 16:58

please try

Trax
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Trax » 09 Oct 2006 21:46

It happens with the windows nightly too for me occasionally though I cannot reproduce it when I want to...

ss147
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ss147 » 09 Oct 2006 23:03

I also see a bug on the nightly build with the slider. When trying to select the first third of the movie the slider jumps about and cannot be accurately positioned (and sometimes disappears).

If you can get the slider to the last third of the movie it behaves perfectly and can be dragged and positioned exactly. Very annoying....

Trax
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Trax » 09 Oct 2006 23:19

I also see a bug on the nightly build with the slider. When trying to select the first third of the movie the slider jumps about and cannot be accurately positioned (and sometimes disappears).
This is a seperate slider problem and was an attempt to make the slider "click where you go" but didn't work as expected (you could say it works roughly from 25% to 75% for the clip, outside this area the slider behaves erradic). For 0.8.6 the change has already been reverted and for 0.9.0 the change from WX to QT4 will take care of this problem.

Loren Pechtel
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Loren Pechtel » 09 Oct 2006 23:31

If you can get the slider to the last third of the movie it behaves perfectly and can be dragged and positioned exactly. Very annoying....
This isn't my bug. My bug involves the utter disappearance of the entire bar at the bottom. No slider, nothing for it to slide on. It's doing it again--there's *ONE* line below the movie, the one with the time/speed/filename. That's it.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 10 Oct 2006 06:34

In 0.8.5 the player is resized to the video rather than in prior versions where the video was sized to the player. For some users depending on the hardware this is a problem. You can revert to the way prior versions did this by going to preferences, Video and scroll down to Window properties. Then enter 781 for video width and 331 for video height, then press Save and restart the player.

Loren Pechtel
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Loren Pechtel » 10 Oct 2006 06:45

In 0.8.5 the player is resized to the video rather than in prior versions where the video was sized to the player. For some users depending on the hardware this is a problem. You can revert to the way prior versions did this by going to preferences, Video and scroll down to Window properties. Then enter 781 for video width and 331 for video height, then press Save and restart the player.
No--this only happens when launching another movie from inside the already-running player. I previously had resized the player, sometimes the new video is resized without considering the time slider. When I posted the OP I thought it was all the time but since then I've found it sometimes happens, sometimes doesn't and I haven't figured out the trigger.

It's obviously errantly figuring the size of the useable area for the player in this case. I wouldn't be shocked to learn that the variable behavior is a timing issue--maybe the time slider hasn't been drawn yet when the useable area is being calculated. (While I haven't looked at the VLC source I've been programming for 30 years, making a living at it for 20.)

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 10 Oct 2006 06:51

Grab the source! I just described what I'm aware of and what has resolved the issue for other users. :P Did you try it??

VLC is not like other players in that everything needed to play the file is started and released at the end or when you press Stop. Resizing is a part of the process.

Loren Pechtel
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Loren Pechtel » 10 Oct 2006 15:49

Grab the source! I just described what I'm aware of and what has resolved the issue for other users. :P Did you try it??

VLC is not like other players in that everything needed to play the file is started and released at the end or when you press Stop. Resizing is a part of the process.
I'll have a look but I confess to being *VERY* rusty with C, my entire professional life has been spent with assembly, Pascal and Delphi.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”