Not starting in full screen immediately

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
PeterF
New Cone
New Cone

Not starting in full screen immediately

Postby PeterF » 20 Sep 2006 11:29

Running VLC 0.8.5 (wxWidgets Interface) in XP Home SP2
on a laptop with a secxondary screen attached. I have updated DirectX drivers from Microsoft to most recent edition.

VLC is setup to run the video image as full screen on the secondary screen. This works fine except when you start the secondary screen opens a window (DirectX output) before it switches to full screen.

Is there anyway this can be avoided?

My aim is for the secondary screen to only ever have video output on it, no signs of windows, etc.

Thanks for any help,
Peter

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 20 Sep 2006 19:47

This is a Windows setting and not VLC. In Display Properties, Settings try unchecking the box marked "Extend my My Windows Desktop onto this Monitor".

PeterF
New Cone
New Cone

Postby PeterF » 21 Sep 2006 13:16

...try unchecking the box marked "Extend my My Windows Desktop onto this Monitor".
I tried, unchecking the box just makes the secondary monitor into exactly the same as the primary monitor.

I understand this is a Windows problem and not VLC but if anyone has a spare moment and a little patience the help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Peter

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 21 Sep 2006 20:59

If this didn't do the trick you will need to dig through the documentation for your video card and utilities to see if it's possible with your video card. Searching the Manufactures web site or forums may also be helpful.

his isn't a matter of time or patience from this end it's a matter of knowing every piece of hardware out there and that's not possible. :)

PeterF
New Cone
New Cone

Postby PeterF » 22 Sep 2006 17:02

If this didn't do the trick you will need to dig through the documentation for your video card and utilities to see if it's possible with your video card. Searching the Manufactures web site or forums may also be helpful.
This is going to sound really daft...
What is it that I am trying to make the video card do?

Looking back, I might not have explained what I'm trying to do very well.
The aim is:
Laptop screen has all the controls on it. It does not have video playback.
Secondary, external screen has full screen video only.

I have it playing full screen well enough, bar the odd glitch;
and I have my controls on the other screen.
My problem is it opening up a smaller window on the "video" screen before it goes to full screen on the "video" screen.
I've found a work round which is to disable window decorations and set background to black, that way you don't see the box but I'm sure there is a better way to do this.

Thanks again,

Peter

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 23 Sep 2006 22:51

From your original description I was under the assumption that you did not want to see Windows on the second monitor. This is a windows function not VLC. So any way you can do this under windows and trim VLC to match should be an acceptable solution. From your last post it sounds like you did get it working. My suggestion revolved around some video cards that allow the manipulation of how things are displayed on the second monitor. But not all cards have these options and some options actually interfere with VLC and or DirectX. :)

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”