can i, record a small portion of a movie on DVD, to disk ?

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
bdutta
New Cone
New Cone

can i, record a small portion of a movie on DVD, to disk ?

Postby bdutta » 02 Aug 2006 22:31

Hi,

I have a DVD with 2 titles. I want to capture the about 5 minutes from the first title, (i.e. capture video + audio). Is this possible with VLC ? If so, how ?

thanks,
bdutta

Phikap87
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Phikap87 » 03 Aug 2006 16:49

Yes you can. You stream the disc by going to "Open disc..." and selecting the "Stream/Save" box and going into settings. The way I get it to work is selecting UDP and using 127.0.0.1 for the address. You may also want to select Play Locally if you need to select Play from the start menu (or set widescreen/full screen, etc). MPEG TS should be selected for Encapsulation Method. Click ok and ok on the next screen and your video should start streaming (and playing if you selected play locally). Next open up another VLC window and select Open Network Stream. Select UDP/RTP and leave the default port. Select stream/save and go into settings. Select Save to file, give it a name, select the transcoding and encapsulation you want, and click ok. When you want to start saving, click ok on the Open network window. When you want to stop, click the stop button the 2nd VLC window you opened, the one that is saving the file. Good luck

beauford
New Cone
New Cone

For Mac OS X

Postby beauford » 12 Sep 2006 19:05

If you are using MacOS X and wondering how this applies to you:

1) In the Finder Locate the VLC Program.
2) Select the Application.
3) From the File Menu select Duplicate
File > Duplicate
4) Now you should have two applications:
VLC
VLC Copy

Then setup the two applications using the instructions from above.

It worked great on my MacMini 1.42ghz, 512MB of RAM.

andilla
New Cone
New Cone

Postby andilla » 15 Mar 2007 11:13

Phika87, thanks for your respond, this is what I have been trying to do since weeks...

I didn't understand half of it what you said here, all these technical terms are Chinese for me :oops: but I followed the steps exactly and it does work! I got a video clip from a DVD, just a short extract, as I wanted!!! Thanks! :D

Now, only thing that didn't work out is I think the format. I have no idea of what encapsulation or format is what.

I would need my clip ideally in MPEG4, with MP3 audio.

Can you maybe help me to tell which encapsulation and format to use, and when I give a name to the new file, what should be the extension?

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”