VLC post-0.8.1 choppy video

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
thebigred
New Cone
New Cone

VLC post-0.8.1 choppy video

Postby thebigred » 25 Aug 2006 02:59

I was wondering why my video after is choppy after build 0.8.1? I wish to get a newer version because there is no option to disable screensaver in this one.

There was a very good nightly build a while back, where both my screensaver was disabled and the video was not choppy at all, but since I formatted I lost it. I tried the nightlybuilds.videolan.org, but it does not list any versions before 0.8.5. Are there any further archives I can look through?

Suggestions would be great. Thanks

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 27 Aug 2006 21:34

http://downloads.videolan.org/pub/videolan/vlc

But more likely the problem is drivers for audio and or video.

It can also be a clock stability problem for the computer or the sound card in particular.

For reference only see ReClock on the web.

thebigred
New Cone
New Cone

Postby thebigred » 28 Aug 2006 05:30

http://downloads.videolan.org/pub/videolan/vlc

But more likely the problem is drivers for audio and or video.

It can also be a clock stability problem for the computer or the sound card in particular.

For reference only see ReClock on the web.
thanks for the link. I'll look at reclock.

davbren
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby davbren » 28 Aug 2006 16:21

If is is a video and audio problem, how come lots of people are suffering from this now when they weren't before, and the sound and video works fine using media player?

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 28 Aug 2006 19:48

All programs use DirectX differently and VLC was designed to be a packet based player capable of streaming. Starting with 0.8.4 the DirectX module was rebuilt to be more compatible with 9c. Microsoft recommended updating your sound and video drivers with the advent of DirectX 9c. This was Oct 04. VLC forces the issue. If you are having problems with anything higher than 0.8.1 your drivers must be very old or there is an audio card problem in general.

All digital video is follow audio for sync. When this doesn't happen properly nothing will be right. There are a few players that do not enforce sync like MPlayer.

thebigred
New Cone
New Cone

Postby thebigred » 31 Aug 2006 05:26

Its probably my soundstorm. The latest good soundstorm drivers date like 3 years ago :(

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 03 Sep 2006 01:11

I'm not suggesting an older version. I was asked where one might be found. There are no audio or video sync problems with 0.8.5 (well, discounting VCDs but this is another issue). The problem is purely hardware or driver related.

Cobra951
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Cobra951 » 03 Sep 2006 15:11

When I tried going from 0.8.1 to 0.8.4a, I was sorry. The program acted like a serious hog, on 2 separate PCs. The video was choppy on the slower system, and CPU drain was severe on both systems. I quickly reverted on both. But when I tried 0.8.5 on the faster PC, I had no problems, other than the aspect-ratio issues discussed in another thread. (I'm sticking to the old, reliable 0.8.1 on the slower system.) I don't think I've updated drivers on either system in the interim.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 06 Sep 2006 09:49

Have you checked that DMA is activated on your DVD drive ?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Saribro
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Saribro » 07 Sep 2006 07:07

Its probably my soundstorm. The latest good soundstorm drivers date like 3 years ago :(
I've got soundstorm aswell and everything works perfectly alright here, so unless your driverinstall got corrupted, I don't think that's the issue.
Note though that seperate from the nForce drivers, nVidia has an updated audio driver on their site that is much more recent than those 5.10 nForce packs. It solved several issues I had, so if you're using the regular ones from the 5.10 pack, perhaps try the audio-only driver.

Cobra951
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Cobra951 » 07 Sep 2006 09:21

Tempo, if you were talking to me, my "slow" system is a 2.5GHz Celeron box with integrated everything. My "fast" box is a 2.4GHz Northwood P4 with an NVidia 256-bit 128MB GF FX5900, and a Creative Audigy 2. Neither of these systems should struggle with a simple decode-and-2D-display job.

thebigred
New Cone
New Cone

Postby thebigred » 09 Sep 2006 07:11

I've got soundstorm aswell and everything works perfectly alright here, so unless your driverinstall got corrupted, I don't think that's the issue.
Note though that seperate from the nForce drivers, nVidia has an updated audio driver on their site that is much more recent than those 5.10 nForce packs. It solved several issues I had, so if you're using the regular ones from the 5.10 pack, perhaps try the audio-only driver.
I"m using the latest one from nvidia.com, the 4.26 drivers.

Reverting back to 0.8.1 fixed it all up, but I hate how it doesn't disable screensaver and how the scroll is so small.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”