Bug load files with the 0.8.5 and 0.8.6 latest nightly build

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
tuleggi
New Cone
New Cone

Bug load files with the 0.8.5 and 0.8.6 latest nightly build

Postby tuleggi » 27 Aug 2006 15:23

Hi,
I have already write you about this some times ago (when the 0.8.5 has come out), unfortunately today I have tested the new nightly build for windows, the 0.8.6 - 20060827, and the bug is still there!

The 0.8.4a rocks instead.

Here the problem:
with Windows XP, tested with a 5yrs old laptop and also with a 2yrs old PC, when I tried to load a directory with a lot of mp3 files the newer version of VLC crashes, always.
It has never happen to me with the 0.8.4a (which I still use because it is stable), right now i.e. I load more than 4000 songs at once without problems. (while the 0.8.5 or the 0.8.6 crash even with 2000 songs, I guess also with less...)

Thanks for your good work, I hope this will be fixed with the release of the 0.8.6 version :)

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 27 Aug 2006 20:44

At an average of 3 min per tune it would take better than 8 days of listening 24/7 before you heard the first tune again. This is of coarse assuming you would remember, because of the groggy stupor your in for staying up for 8 days to see it played and didn't crash. :P

But thanks for the tip, I promise not to do that. :lol:

tuleggi
New Cone
New Cone

Postby tuleggi » 28 Aug 2006 00:02

Did you read what I have wrote???

The 0.8.4a version works well, in 30sec all songs are loaded!!!!
While the 0.8.5 and 0.8.6 crash immediately.

And of course I will not listen at once all these songs, but using the random function I am "sure" not to listen everytime the same song... (and I can do searches etc. directly from the playlist of the excellent VLC media player!)

So it is a bug came out from the 0.8.5 and still there also with the nighty build. I think it is good to report it so you can fix it maybe.
Thank you :)

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 28 Aug 2006 01:39

Yup! Read what you wrote! 0.8.4 doesn't do it, 0.8.5 does do it and 0.8.6 the playlist is being completely rebuilt so is in a state of flux at the moment but according to you still does it. Did I miss something?

My only comment is that I would never do that any way as windows will probably crash before I got all the way through the files and that is one of the many reasons for the rebuild. So I guess we will all need to wait and see what the new version holds when it is finished. :P

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”