S/PDIF simply messes up my digital surround sound.

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.

Postby Guest » 08 Jul 2006 18:02

For all those still having a problem with SPDIF output, I just came up with a very simple solution that worked for me.

What I did was rename the AVI extension to VLC (for example video.avi would become video.vlc) and then associate the VLC extension to vlc player.

I've had the stuttering audio problem for a couple of days now and then today I tried playing a (hdtv) TP file in vlc player and it played fine with smooth (non-stuttering) AC3 audio flowing out of my speakers, hmmmmm.

So I tried to renaming an AVI (with AC3 audio) to TP and that solved the stuttering audio problem. After that I rename all my AVI extensions to VLC and associate the VLC extention to vlc player. Problem Solved.

My guess is that Windows has a problem with the AVI extension and it thinks it knows how to play the audio, but then gets confused with the AC3 audio. If Windows doesn't recognise the extension then it just lets vlc player output AC3 audio to SPDIF.

Postby Guest » 08 Jul 2006 19:37

Now that's streatching the envelope considering VLC is't a dshow player. Perhaps you need to cut back on your medication. I did get a laugh though! :lol:

Lurker
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Lurker » 09 Jul 2006 23:24

I have an old Vortex2-based soundcard, and Windows 98SE. With WIn32 waveOut and AC3 stream, it does not display S/PDIF as an available output option, and all I hear is silence. In the DirectX mode, it allows to select S/PDIF, but the decoder sounds like AC3 stream is decoded like PCM.

My soundcard is always connected to my decoder via its optical output. WinDVD and PowerDVD output to S/PDIF without a problem!

Guest2006

Buggy audio

Postby Guest2006 » 18 Jul 2006 21:52

Got it working using Win32 Waveout extension output.

Thanks for the tip.

Realtek HD Audio on MSI 945GT Speedstar-A4R, Running WinXP SP1 / VLC 0.8.5

Sorb

Postby Sorb » 20 Jul 2006 23:22

I just wanted to say that enabling "Win32 Waveout extension output" helped me too, just when I thought I would have to go back to VLC 0.82! Perhaps this should be set by default. If anybody tries this don´t forget to close VLC and open it again or it won´t work.

For the record:

Problem: choppy/repeating AC3 playback over S/PDIF from .ts file.
Audio hardware: Realtek HD audio
VLC versions: 0.84, 0.84a, 0.85
Solution: enable "Win32 Waveout extension output".

therealshad
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby therealshad » 22 Jul 2006 23:37

Hello,

i have the same problem,

when i chose Win32 Waveout extension output, i have no sound :(

thanks for your help.

griffjon

dell 8200 still skips

Postby griffjon » 22 Jul 2006 23:55

I've tried the (Win32 waveOut extension output) and it still is skipping on spdif audio :( (WindowsXP/Dell8200)

Postby Guest » 23 Jul 2006 12:13

Hello,
windows xp Sp2
Envy 24 SP/DIF Output
Wave 32 Output works

Regards,
Peter

benniegentil

Postby benniegentil » 29 Jul 2006 15:48

Same problem for me.
A8n-SLI deluxe, Spdif works with powerdvd, media player, etc etc..
but not with VLC.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 29 Jul 2006 21:55

For the few people that are still having problems with S/PDIF, have you tried updating your sound card's drivers. Even the impossible audgy now works with new drivers. :shock:

Lurker
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Lurker » 30 Jul 2006 17:31

To developers: can you take SPDIF code from the latest AC3Filter? It works even with USB sound cards! Details of the implementation: http://ac3filter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10

therealshad
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby therealshad » 01 Aug 2006 17:21

i haven t got any ac3filters in my pc..

Should i install one or windows xp did it?

If i must install one, could you help me to find the right filter?

thanks for your help

Lurker
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Lurker » 01 Aug 2006 17:48

Should i install one or windows xp did it?

If i must install one, could you help me to find the right filter?
I can't say that you should, must or even need to install ACFilter. All in all it has no use to VLC at all. But if you wish, you may find it here: http://ac3filter.net/

therealshad
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby therealshad » 01 Aug 2006 19:29

i'm sorry but i'm frensh so i believed i have to install it to repair my problem.

So if it's not the solution, i am very desesperated :(

thanks

Lurker
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Lurker » 01 Aug 2006 19:41

No, it won't help. But if developers incorporate its code into VLC, it would. At least for my hardware it will be much better. That's why I addressed that message to the developers.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 01 Aug 2006 20:29

AC3Filter is a Direct Show codec and VLC is not a Direct Show player and will NOT use AC3Filter.

If you find that shutting down DirectX for your audio and using the older access method (audio out module) creates a NO sound condition. It is highly recommended to UpDate your sound drivers as this kind of problem is just bad design for cheep sound cards. :shock:

Postby Guest » 07 Aug 2006 00:12

Using a Creative Audigy 2 ZS notebook card here;

I'm getting no sound with DirectX output, Win32 output gives me stuttering audio output. All other players (Media Pl Classic, PowerDVD etc) work fine with S/PDIF output. I'm using the newest drivers (newer than those available on the Creative website).. everything is up to date. I really like VLC because of it's simplicity, features and low CPU usage but I it's useless to me because of it's buggy support for S/PDIF..

Is there an option to use, for example, AC3filter to send the AC3 / DTS stream via S/PDIF?

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 07 Aug 2006 03:30

NO! VLC is NOT a dshow player.

But this has worked for quite a few people with creative cards or chip sets.

http://kxproject.lugosoft.com/index.php?skip=1
Replacement drivers for Creative sound cards

Lurker
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Lurker » 07 Aug 2006 13:50

AC3Filter is a Direct Show codec and VLC is not a Direct Show player and will NOT use AC3Filter.
I ask developers to take AC3Filter source code and implement a similar way in the VLC.
It is highly recommended to UpDate your sound drivers as this kind of problem is just bad design for cheep sound cards. :shock:
Quite unprofessional suggestion. For instance, a lot of USB sound cards use up to date Microsoft drivers built-in into Windows, and will not work without a special workarounds from developers. Also, the issues are not related to the price of a sound card at all.

The point is: if there is an open source code that works better than VLC does, why not to use this code instead of blaming the sound cards, their developers, VLC users etc.?

Postby Guest » 07 Aug 2006 13:51

I can understand you want to keep the player as it is but I'm not going to install those free, unofficial drivers... The once provided by Creative give me very low latency with audio (re)production / recording programs and games. If anyone can assure the latency is good and these drivers work fine with EAX, THX settings etc then I might give it a try.

Still, I like VLC player... But I can't understand this problem with S/PDIF why should I install other drivers for VLC when other programs (Windows Media Player, Media Player Classic, PowerDVD, WinDVD) work fine with S/PDIF...

I'm not posting here to be totally negative about VLC but I'm trying to make a point here. The problem is definatelly the player itself.

I suggest the following. I have 2 soundcards in my notebook:
- Conexant AC-link audio (integrated)
- Creative Audigy 2 ZS notebook (PCMCIA)

SUGGESTION FOR THE DEVELOPERS OUT THERE:
Maybe VLC has a problem with the fact that there are 2 soundcards (even if VLC uses the default device, selected in Windows audio configuration); So maybe it might be nice if you can choose your preferred playback soundcard in preferences with the preferred output stream (DirectX (DirectSound), S/PDIF, Win32 WaveOut) + the preferred output format (16/24/32 bits).

krikke

Re: S/PDIF simply messes up my digital surround sound.

Postby Guest » 08 Aug 2006 11:11

I've got the same problem here. Every movie with AC3 lacks sound. In other players it works, but with VLCplayer it shows the movie, it jumps to Digital (via S/PDIF), but then there's no sound. I've got a AC97 onboard on my MSI K8N Neo 4 Platinum.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 09 Aug 2006 14:26

If you don't want S/PDIF shut down the option in Preferences, Audio or reset the preferences as the default is off. :lol:

guestK

Postby guestK » 14 Aug 2006 01:33

From everything you have expressed here I would tend to believe it should work too! Specially when very few people had problems with 0.8.2

I have walked a few people through uninstalling and reinstaling showing all the places to erace directories and regestry entries along the way, even suggesting virus and spywear scans, checking for corrupted files within the system, defragging the disk etc. So it would be know that the system was clean and healthy before the reinstall. Of the 4 or 5 times I have tried this it has been successful with other types of problems. But in this case I'm not sure it would be of benefit to you. Sorry you continue to have problems with this as the solution eludes me too. :cry:
I accidentantly found the solution trying to figure out why i didnt have sound with macromedia flash player.It works like a dream now,noticed an improvment in stability and quality in all video/audio files and players and it solved some other minor sound issues i had.Thanks though for your helping efforts dj.
Finally !!!!!! And so simple.....

It was Registry problem.... caused by clean-up with Spayware Doctor.
Nothing to do with hardware.
So if Flash sound AND System sounds don't work here is the solution....

Get K-Lite Codec Pack 2.69 Standard
h**p://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_Lite_Codec_Pack.htm

Install Package and then go to

**/K-Lite Codec Pack/Configuration/ and Run "Codec Tweak Tool"
tick "Fixes / [ Registry ] Fix Non-working system sound "
Run tool...

AND ..... system sounds are back and Flash sound is back......
Ps:Be carefull what you are doing when you are using all those drive/registry/spyware cleaning programs.Its still strange though that spdif only it didnt work with vlc.At least now i know it was a windows/registry problem,and not vlcs or creatives drivers.

rearden

Postby rearden » 15 Aug 2006 18:06

I also have never been able to get spdif to work with VLC player. I have a turtle beach usb sound card with spdiff output on my laptop. mcplayer works fine. But when running VLC player as soon as I plug in the usb sound card, the audio goes away (as it should) and nothing comes from the stereo system. If I plug in the usb card before I start VLC, then it still doesn't play.
I am using XPpro.
rearden

flatley
New Cone
New Cone

Postby flatley » 23 Sep 2006 08:05

Using an on board Analog Devices SoundMAX on an ASUS P4P800-VM motherboard here with latest audio drivers:

0.8.2 works fine using with AC3/5.1 over S/PDIF using Default or PORTAUDIO audio output settings
0.8.4 and higher give stuttering audio or no audio depending on the audio output setting. Win32 waveOut gives no audio.

0.8.5 does not have an option to use PORTAUDIO

AC3/5.1 work with MPC and PowerDVD.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”