Bug 0.8.5 - Progress slider, time indication wrong

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
xerces8
Cone that earned his stripes

Bug 0.8.5 - Progress slider, time indication wrong

Postby xerces8 » 02 Aug 2006 15:30

See picture, either the slider or the time indicator is wrong.

Also part of the time indicator is not visible (part after "0:51:").

The file is an Ogg Vorbis record, located on the local hard drive.

Postby Guest » 02 Aug 2006 17:00

You aren't using default font in Windows (seems bolded).
You can change VLC size and it should display the whole 0:51:

xerces8

Postby xerces8 » 02 Aug 2006 18:03

Changing the window size does not help. The time area stays the same.
Yeah, harcoded values, they're always fun ... :-(

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 02 Aug 2006 20:27

We will do better for the interface in qt.

8)

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 02 Aug 2006 23:01

The font is hard coded in the player. I don't remember which font. I believe it is one of the system fonts. But not sure this has much to do with the problem. As I have seen this font both broken and missing and the progress bar and indicator are still there.

On my system (XP) an OGG/OGM file displays time on the progress bar correctly. What you show here appears to be 98x or Me. The problem isn't the time not being displayed correctly it's the time indicators position on the progress bar that appears incorrect and probably sits at the end for an extended period of time. At the moment there is no fix for this. Perhaps with the new interface in the next revision. As j-b suggested. :)

joseph5

Postby joseph5 » 03 Aug 2006 00:52

This happens to me with my DVDs in the DVD+VR format, the time is always incorrect.

Postby Guest » 03 Aug 2006 04:15

Most of the time estimation problems in MPEG have been resolved in VLC 0.8.5. The reported problem here is different. :wink:

xerces8

Postby xerces8 » 03 Aug 2006 17:04

On my system (XP) an OGG/OGM file displays time on the progress bar correctly. What you show here appears to be 98x or Me. The problem isn't the time not being displayed correctly it's the time indicators position on the progress bar that appears incorrect and probably sits at the end for an extended period of time.
It is Windows XP Pro SP2.

When the progress bar reaches the end, then the playback stops.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 03 Aug 2006 21:21

See picture, either the slider or the time indicator is wrong.

Also part of the time indicator is not visible (part after "0:51:").

The file is an Ogg Vorbis record, located on the local hard drive.
Not sure I understand the problem? With or without picture! :?

1. Using VLC 0.8.5 most of the time indication problems have been resolved and this revolved around MPEG files not OGG/OGM.

2. Time estimation is based on the EOF. The length of the file is 51 seconds. What makes you think the file should play beyond this point? Have you tried another player to get a second opinion? Have you looked at Messages to see if there are errors?

3. I double checked OGG/OGM with Vorbis and using known good files it works correctly using VLC 0.8.5-final. But really I don't remember problems in this area in earlier versions.

:lol:

joseph5

Postby joseph5 » 04 Aug 2006 03:49

1. Using VLC 0.8.5 most of the time indication problems have been resolved and this revolved around MPEG files not OGG/OGM.
Actually, I'm having this problem with DVDs with version 0.8.5

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 04 Aug 2006 06:39

All of the DVD's I have tried using 0.8.5 with even the 3 hr + ones are now showing the correct time. However the devs say there is still work to be done in this area. So perhaps the next version. :lol:

xerces8

Postby xerces8 » 04 Aug 2006 12:21

Not sure I understand the problem? With or without picture!
The progress bar claims the playback is at ~95%.
The time indicator claims it is at ~66% (34sec/51sec).

One of them is very wrong.

Are they using two different estimations ?

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 04 Aug 2006 23:00

I believe you will find that the elapsed time is correct as there has never been a problem in this area. Total time should now also be correct. as for your estimations for position of the time indicator in % this may be the area the devs feel still need work. :) Perhaps the next revision will resolve this.

xerces8

Postby xerces8 » 05 Aug 2006 13:04

I tried another ogg file*, on another PC**. Hope the problem (slightly different than before) is obvious enough.

* - created by CDex v1.51 from a WAV file. CDex uses "Xiph.Org libVorbis I 20020717"
The WAV file is 3:26 long according to both VLC and Windows Media Player.

Playing the WAV in VLC shows no problems with time/progress.

** Windows 2003 again

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 05 Aug 2006 21:16

I have tried to express that this issue has only been encountered with MPEG files. :P

xerces8

Postby xerces8 » 05 Aug 2006 22:52

Well, now it is encountered with Ogg too.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 06 Aug 2006 04:38

Then you have something very unusual going on. Because as I described earlier in this thread I tried OGG/OGM with Vorbis audio in both 0.8.4 and 0.8.5 and I can't see the problem. :P VLC uses the original Tobias filters and it is very unlikely that any updates will ever be available. Last changes were in 03, I think.

xerces8

Postby xerces8 » 06 Aug 2006 13:33

Then you have something very unusual going on. Because as I described earlier in this thread I tried OGG/OGM with Vorbis audio in both 0.8.4 and 0.8.5 and I can't see the problem. :P VLC uses the original Tobias filters and it is very unlikely that any updates will ever be available. Last changes were in 03, I think.
1.) I tried two different, differently created Ogg files on two different PCs. Both had problems. Coincidence ? I will also try on my work PC tomorrow.

2.) (Tobias... )The DirectX code ? Why not directly the ogg/vorbis libraries ? Does this mean VLC ships with ancient ogg/vorbis software ?

xerces8

Postby xerces8 » 08 Aug 2006 15:40

OK, third PC (Windows XP Pro SP2), third Ogg file.

VLC is again 0.8.5

The Ogg file is downloaded from http://www.vorbis.com/music/ ("Epoq - Lepidoptera" , direct link)

According to the web page (and to WMP), the file is 05:02 long.
Also the indicator in VLC shows 05:01 right before the end.

The progress bar appears to be correct.

The song lenth in the status bar and also in the "Stream and Media Info" dialog is wrong : 04:32

I rest my case.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 09 Aug 2006 04:13

OGG/Vorbis:
After running a few tests the error does appear to be in VLC and not in the libraries. I found one that says it ends at 3:49, the music ends at 3:50 and the file ends at 4:00

MPEG 1/MPGa
A 2:50 clip will fluctuate all over the place from 1:58 to over 3:06 as it plays and ends at 2:38.

MPEG 2/MPG2a
A 2:04 clip also fluctuates fro 1:25 to 2:15 as it plays and ends at 2:14.

Your point is the timing is not accurate for some formats. My point is that this is by far better than 0.8.4 where 3hr 14min movie was reported at a little over an hour and a half. Perhaps just perhaps this may get better in the next revision. But given the lack of time code in the MPEG format and the construction of the player, I wouldn't hold my breath. :wink:

You can take this to Feature Requests or do a proper Bug reporting.

http://www.videolan.org/support/bug-reporting.html
Bug reporting

But a kind word of advise is, The devs are aware of the problem and are going to tell you the same thing I have been telling you all along. But I will be honest, I have never noticed the problem in OGG till now and I've watched allot of movies in OGM but then again I don't watch credits or check the time at the end of the movie. :P

:lol:

xerces8

Postby xerces8 » 09 Aug 2006 11:24

The "Bug Reporting" link just says that I should post on the forum and when a developer notices it, he will add it to Trac.

I already posted to the forum. Anything else I can or should do ?

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 09 Aug 2006 12:18

This happens to me with my DVDs in the DVD+VR format, the time is always incorrect.
Really DVD+R disks shouldn't be used for video file storage. But setting this aside a commercial DVD should now display the correct time. However MPEG 2 files (.MPEG) and MPEG 1 files (.MPG) still have some minor discrepancies.
(Tobias... )The DirectX code ? Why not directly the ogg/vorbis libraries ? Does this mean VLC ships with ancient ogg/vorbis software ?
VLC is not a dshow player! I was referring to the open source software libraries. The original Tobias work is still the most compatible out there and forms the basis for everything in OGG/OGM and Vorbis.

After reviewing this file it is rather complete and forms a history of the problem (and I have confirmed the problem) to be referred to in a trouble report and I have tried to answer all the remaining questions. But I'm not sure I want to be the one who writes it! :cry: So it will need to wait for a developer for review.

I am sorry for misunderstanding the problem at the beginning of this post! :oops: But after the tests the problems are a bit different than what has been previously been described even by the devs. :lol:

joseph5

Postby joseph5 » 10 Aug 2006 01:18

Really DVD+R disks shouldn't be used for video file storage. But setting this aside a commercial DVD should now display the correct time. However MPEG 2 files (.MPEG) and MPEG 1 files (.MPG) still have some minor discrepancies.
I think you misunderstood me. DVD+VR is a "special" DVD format used by standalone DVD recorders. See:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=164461

Postby Guest » 10 Aug 2006 02:14

No! I was unaware of this one. Don't know how I would have missed it! :P Thank You! :lol:

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 10 Aug 2006 16:11

The .ogg duration issue is a known issue and already entered in trac.
(basically .ogg does not have reliable timestamping, and what other players do is making a "best bet" by comparing the start and the end of the file)
Don't use PMs for support questions.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”