Image properties filter does not apply to save/stream?

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
NoAffinity
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Image properties filter does not apply to save/stream?

Postby NoAffinity » 05 Jul 2006 23:57

I have some video that I captured, in which the video coloration is slightly skewed. I have managed to adjust it within VLC's image adjustment filter settings, but can't seem to get the adjustments to apply for saving/streaming. I check the Image Properties Filter in Preferences (under Stream Output->Sout Stream->Transcode), but the changes do not seem to apply to the stream. I have had success with deinterlacing, using this same method. Any thoughts on how to make the image adjustment apply?

Postby Guest » 06 Jul 2006 03:22

The process would entail first setting the filter in Preferences --> Video --> Filters --> Image adjust. Then turn on the Image adjust filter in Preferences --> Video --> Filters. Press Save and close the player. When you play the video, you can now see what you are doing locally. After making more changes to the filter, Saving and reopening the player you should finally reach the point where the filter is set the way you want.

Now go to Preferences --> Video --> Filters and shut off the Image adjust filter. Then go to Preferences --> Stream output --> Sout stream --> Transcode and down near the bottom of the page turn on the Image properties filter. Then press Save and close the player.

NoAffinity
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby NoAffinity » 06 Jul 2006 16:44

I'm not trying to be rude, but did you read my post at all? You just told me to do what I stated I have already done, and had no success. If there's no way to get it working in VLC (I assume this method is supposed to work, but doesn't, for whatever reason), then does anyone know of possibly some software or another means of adjusting the image properties and saving them as such?

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 06 Jul 2006 18:52

Yup! Read your post! Were you clear as to what you were doing? NO!

I may have written something similar. :)

"Now go to Preferences --> Video --> Filters and shut off the Image adjust filter. This may need to be left in the on state." But if you try to do the adjustments through the extended GUI it won't work or if you don't save and close the player and then restart the player it won't work.

Moderator VLC Windows forum.

Postby Guest » 07 Jul 2006 18:03

I apologize, I lost my original post, which was more detailed, and the second time posting, I shortened things up a bit. Allow me to elaborate. I initially toyed with the adjustments strictly in Prefs->Video->Filters->Image Adjustment (with "Image Propterties Filter" checked in Prefs->Video->Filters). Once I had that dialed in, I went to Prefs->Stream Output->Sout Stream->Transcode, and checked Image Properties Filter. I then attempted Streaming/Saving with both checked and with either checked, and on no occassion does the adjusted image properties save. I have streamed out to a local UDP port, and attempted adjusted image properties on both ends of the stream as well. I have saved and closed the player repeatedly, with no luck.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 07 Jul 2006 19:04

OK! This is the way it is supposed to work. Most forget to turn on the filter or restart the player. I would suggest filling out a trouble report.

http://www.videolan.org/support/bug-reporting.html
Bug reporting

You can refer to this post so that the devs can see what has been suggested and what you did.

In the mean time all I can suggest is using the extended GUI and setting the color etc. dynamically on the client end. :(

Postby Guest » 07 Jul 2006 22:34

Will do. Thanks for the help...hopefully this information will be helpful to devs, as well. :)

NoAffinity
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby NoAffinity » 07 Jul 2006 22:40

Sorry, dumb question....where exactly do I report this bug (there doesn't appear to be a link for actual reporting at that link above)? :oops:

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 08 Jul 2006 13:14

Ya! The DJ posted this last month and I just started using it. When you asked I actually read the whole thing and it does kind of take you in circles. What is supposed to occur is a problem needs to be confirmed before entering into the track system. So I will try to find some time and run some tests and report back here as to what I found. Sorry to have mislead you! :roll:

Postby Guest » 09 Jul 2006 00:00

I tried some tests this morning and found a few things.

1. Using the Extended GUI to set the video image adjustment properties can be saved by opening Preferences and pressing Save. Thus allowing you to set these dynamically. Setting the filter to the on state and adjusting image adjust and then pressing Save, the settings will show up in the Extended GUI after restarting VLC but not the other way around. Non the less the image properties appear to be set by either method.

2. Changing the image adjustments does NOT effect the overlay settings of my video card, suggesting that these are real filters and not controlling the video card through DirectX.

3. Assigning a preset filter in the sout stream, Transcode options in preferences does NOT appear to be functioning for any filter selection in any transcode function. It is as though all of the switches in the video filter section are broke.

4. However, assigning a preset overlay for the OSD functions does work in the same sout stream, Transcode section. This shows as long as the filter is preset it can be placed in the chain for the record or transcode functions and is recorded into the resulting stream or file.

5. I did find that the auto crop function is more than a little strange as it seems to cycle through the various crop settings rather than sense and crop like it used to. But again does NOT allow crop to be set in the stream transcode chain.

Conclusion: This (to me) is more than a bug for a trouble report as there is a whole section that appears to NOT be functioning and will require the attention and comments of a developer. I will try to bring this to there attention and hope that one of them will comment.

DJ

dionoea
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby dionoea » 09 Jul 2006 00:23

I'm not sure if i correctly understand what you're all trying to do but here is a small recap of things that work in transcode and things that don't.

Sub picture filters work in transcode (use #transcode{sfilter=...}). Sub picture filters include: logo, time, mosaic, marq, subtitles rendering (you need to use the transcode soverlay option to burn subs, instead of the sfilter option)
If you don't want to transcode you can use the --sub-filter option on command line to select a sub picture filter.

Video filters (v1) don't work in transcode. Those include: logo (yeah, we have 2 logo filters), distort, crop (we also have crop in transcode, which is not a filter), magnify, wall, clone, invert, motionblur
You can select a video filter 1 filter using --vout-filter.

Video filters 2 work in transcode (use #transcode{vfilter=...}). VLC basically doesn't include video filter 2 filters that would need to be manually selected. If someone has time, it would be great to change the old v1 filters to v2.
You can't select a video filter 2 filter manualy (without using transcode).

I hope that this helps,
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea
(Please do not use private messages for support questions)

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 09 Jul 2006 01:12

Thanks for the comments, but I think we are having a bit of a communications problem here! :lol:

In Preferences --> Stream output --> sout stream --> Transcode there are a group of options with check boxes called "Video filter" a user would expect that setting any of these the filter(s) it would end up in the stream/transcode chain. This morning I could not get any of these functions (filter(s)) within this group to work (end up in the stream/transcode chain).

I think you are trying to tell me that this may not work because of the versions of the filter modules?? :? Further, some of the options are not really filters and only available from the command line selecting the proper command or filter version?? :?

I was only using the "Overlays"group of options in the same Preferences section as an example of being able to get items into the stream/trasnscode chain and didn't think at the time it would confuse the issue. The couple I tried in this section worked so lets not for the moment concentrate our efforts here. :)

As you know I've been here for a while and generally don't get real confused but you got me going on this one. Would you please reword this or elaborate please on only the "Video filter" section in Transcode stream output. :wink:

dionoea
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby dionoea » 09 Jul 2006 16:32

Ok, well the first filters list in the transcode prefs is obviously wrong. I'll fix that right away. (or at least i'll try to).
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea

dionoea
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby dionoea » 09 Jul 2006 16:38

here is a list of all filters and their capabilities:

Code: Select all

adjust.c: set_capability( "video filter", 0 ); blend.c: set_capability( "video blending", 100 ); clone.c: set_capability( "video filter", 0 ); crop.c: set_capability( "video filter", 0 ); deinterlace.c: set_capability( "video filter", 0 ); deinterlace.c: set_capability( "video filter2", 0 ); distort.c: set_capability( "video filter", 0 ); invert.c: set_capability( "video filter", 0 ); logo.c: set_capability( "video filter", 0 ); logo.c: set_capability( "sub filter", 0 ); magnify.c: set_capability( "video filter", 0 ); marq.c: set_capability( "sub filter", 0 ); mosaic.c: set_capability( "sub filter", 0 ); motionblur.c: set_capability( "video filter", 0 ); motiondetect.c: set_capability( "video filter", 0 ); osdmenu.c: set_capability( "sub filter", 100 ); rss.c: set_capability( "sub filter", 0 ); rv32.c: set_capability( "video filter2", 1 ); scale.c: set_capability( "video filter2", 10000 ); swscale/filter.c: set_capability( "video filter2", 1000 ); time.c: set_capability( "sub filter", 0 ); transform.c: set_capability( "video filter", 0 ); wall.c: set_capability( "video filter", 0 );
The transcode thing should be fixed in tomorrow's nightly build.
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea

Postby Guest » 09 Jul 2006 19:34

Thank You! I will try it tomorow and offer feedback as to how it goes. :D

NoAffinity
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby NoAffinity » 10 Jul 2006 19:05

I have tried the last two nightly builds (from the 9th and 10th), and had no luck with this. I put "adjust" (without quotes) in the sout stream filter chain, and have attempted both with Image Properties Filter (in Settings->Preferences->Video->Filters) checked and unchecked, and always save and exit after making changes. Still no adjust to the streamed/saved video. :cry:

Postby Guest » 10 Jul 2006 19:22

Depending on when the dev put this in, it sometimes doesn't show up the next day. Instead it takes 2 days. But wouldn't have shown up on the 9th in any event. Kinda like waiting for a UPS delivery and start the tracking a day early. :lol:

dionoea
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby dionoea » 10 Jul 2006 21:58

"adjust" being a video filter (v1), it won't work. That's why it doesn't show in the transcode section in the prefs anymore (unless i did something wrong ... let me check ... *dionoea runs VLC* ... no, it's not in the list anymore).

Since adjust shouldn't be too hard to port to the video filter (v2) architecture, i think that i'll do that next week end (post a new message in this thread on friday so i remember). You will then be able to use it in transcode.
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea

NoAffinity
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby NoAffinity » 11 Jul 2006 05:41

Will do. Thanks, dionoea.

NoAffinity
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby NoAffinity » 15 Jul 2006 01:23

Hey, dionoea, just a reminder on this one. Thanks again for your time...hopefully it is a success. :)

dionoea
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby dionoea » 16 Jul 2006 00:27

As of yesterday filters like adjust, invert and distort (now split into wave, ripple, psychedelic and gradient) apply using vfilter in transcode. As of yesterday they also don't work out of transcode :) But that will hopefully change sometime this week.

example use of the adjust filter command line:

vlc --sout=#transcode{vcodec=mp2v,vb=2048,vfilter=adjust{hue=180}}:std{access=file,mux=ts,dst=file.ts} input.mpg
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea

NoAffinity
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby NoAffinity » 16 Jul 2006 07:24

Hey dionoea, can you check my syntax here?

vlc --sout=#transcode{vcodec=mp4v,vb=4000,vfilter=adjust{contrast=0.700000,brightness=1.100000,hue=0,saturations=0.500000gamma=0.700000} ,scale=1,acodec=mpga,ab=192,channels=2}:std{access=file,mux=ps,dst=E:\completed\evo_west_ST_casuals_pt1_corrected.mpg} E:\completed\evo_west_ST_casuals_pt1.mpg
There is a space between vlc and --sout=#... and another space between } and E:\completed\evo_west_ST_casuals_pt1.mpg. Transcoding begins, but the resulting file still appears to be unaffected. I have also tried entering the "vfilter=adjust{...}" value in the target line of Stream Output MRL (within the GUI), with the same results. I am using version vlc-0.8.6-svn-20060714-0000-win32.exe.

dionoea
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby dionoea » 16 Jul 2006 23:29

you're missing a comma before "gamma".

Btw, i added local display of video filter2 type filters. CPU gain compared to the equivalent video filter1 filter for invert is about 25%. I haven't benchmarked it for other filters ... but it should also be noticeable.
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea

NoAffinity
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby NoAffinity » 17 Jul 2006 12:10

Just dl'ed the latest nightly build, and it works great! :D Thanks a billion, dionoea! Nice work!

dionoea
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby dionoea » 17 Jul 2006 23:25

Always happy to help :)
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”