Another file with the same name

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
thany
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Another file with the same name

Postby thany » 04 Jul 2006 00:57

Just a little bug, if there's another file with the same name in the directory where the video is, an "error" occurs. This file might be "Video.txt" with a description of what it is, and a "Video.avi" which is the actual video. I'm not sure what VLC tries with this text file, but it says it's in the wrong format, while it actually has no business with the text file...
I reject your reality and substitute my own.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 04 Jul 2006 07:34

Video.txt would be considered a Subtitles file by VLC as this is a valid extension for one type of subtitle. When the program discovers it isn't a sub file an error will be shown. This is not a bug, this is a feature! :lol:

thany
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby thany » 04 Jul 2006 13:42

well, in the case of a .txt file, I would say it's a bug, because a .txt may contain anything, unlike .sub or .srt...
I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Postby Guest » 04 Jul 2006 19:05

You can disable subtitle autoloading, and use .nfo extension for video info files, it is SCENE rule for reason.

Postby Guest » 04 Jul 2006 19:39

well, in the case of a .txt file, I would say it's a bug, because a .txt may contain anything, unlike .sub or .srt...
"I reject your reality and substitute my own." You can do this but be aware it doesn't work that way and VLC did not write the sub specifications for formats. So again it's not a bug, it's a feature. :P

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”