Multiple black "videos" opening

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
thany
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Multiple black "videos" opening

Postby thany » 04 Jul 2006 00:52

I have this Quicktime movie and when I open it, VLC opens a smaller and a bigger video track, but they're both black (or rather, empty). The real video track is also opened and plays fine. Also, these three tracks open in random order. So the real video might be in a separate window, or in the main window. Can't really tell which it's gonna be.

I use Windows XP x64 SP1. My hardware includes a Athlon64 3000+ on an nForce4 SLI with a Radeon X800 XT and using onboard audio. I'm using the win32 build of VLC 0.8.5.

The video that reproduces the problem has been uploaded to the samples server as "Daredevil.mov".
I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Postby Guest » 04 Jul 2006 19:02

550 Daredevil.mov: Permission denied
ftp server gives that. Also please always give direct link to forum, it is very helpful for volunteer testers, we all don't have vlc ftp at bookmarks =)

thany
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby thany » 05 Jul 2006 21:11

I'll remember that for next time. But I don't know why the FTP returns an error... it's not my FTP server afterall.
I reject your reality and substitute my own.

flo
New Cone
New Cone

Postby flo » 07 Jul 2006 10:34

... i have similar problems, some quicktime videos just "deliver" sound. :(

for example this one (you have to download it first)...
http://visual.socalskateparks.com/Video ... -4-06.mov.

thanks for helping
flo

Postby Guest » 07 Jul 2006 17:38

I start with whining again =)
Please don't put . (dot) after link (or anything else) when forum uses autolinking, so correct link is
http://visual.socalskateparks.com/Videos/Vans5-4-06.mov
and yes that file gives problems to VLC (I come to that little bit later).
But who does files like that? File opens on Quicktime, but it only can play single audio and videotrack. So file could be created badly or creator don't know limitations of Quicktime (remember, with .mov files target audience is Quicktime users).
Back to VLC messages

Code: Select all

mp4 warning: unknown box type gmin (uncompletetly loaded) mp4 debug: out of bound child mp4 warning: unknown box type alis (uncompletetly loaded) mp4 debug: out of bound child mp4 warning: unknown handler type in stsd (uncompletetly loaded) mp4 debug: out of bound child
etc.

When you choose Video -> Video track you can see two Track 2 selections. Audio -> Audio track works better, but Track 2 audio starts from about 2 minutes.

Also VLC View -> Stream and media info gives 21 streams. And video codec is jpeg and video works for 0.8.2 VLC so it is the already known (Motion) JPEG decoding error in 0.8.5 VLC.

So either the file is messed up a bit or VLC mov parser don't handle it okay. Yoy can watch the video with VLC 0.8.2

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”