Songs list problem with 0.8.5 (not with 0.8.4a ..)

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
tuleggi
New Cone
New Cone

Songs list problem with 0.8.5 (not with 0.8.4a ..)

Postby tuleggi » 05 Jun 2006 19:07

Hi everyone!!
First time that I wrote.. unfortunately it is to report a bug:
VLC media player cannot easily play some mp3 files (4000) in a directory.
I was used to right click on the directory and click play with VLC media player (or add to VLC media player playlist). And with the version 0.8.4a in 10seconds everything was fine and smooth.
Right now, with the new version (0.8.5) it get stocked, it plays the music (after a loong time) but I cannot use the interface, it does not answer...

I have tried also in the preference setting to put the priority mode, but the problem persist.
Can you help me?

Thanks!!

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 05 Jun 2006 21:11

This issue has come up with other types of files. It seems that there are just to many files in the directory. To date there has been no way to confirm if this is a VLC or Windows problem. VLC uses Windows services for this function and there are other programs that have problems with to many files in a folder.

Perhaps it is time to reorganize your files into more folders. :lol:

I know it sounds like I am disregarding your claim regarding 0.8.4 but this was first noticed in this version as it was the first version to offer the feature you are using. There have also been a few reports that files will not play when individually called when there are to many files in the folder. What the number is anybodies guess as this for most people is continually changing until one day it doesn't appear to work.

tuleggi
New Cone
New Cone

Postby tuleggi » 05 Jun 2006 22:40

I came back at the 0.8.4a and now I have no problem at all... I will wait for future working release I guess... :(

Great job anyway guys! Hope you will find a solution!

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 05 Jun 2006 22:50

I'm glad you foud a resolve to your problem! :lol:

But I would like to remind you that there is no trouble ticket on this one and as such it will not be resolved in later releases. There is also no good way to check for the problem as the Devs do not collect files the way some users do. Plus the fact that 4k files in a folder is rather unusual for most users. If you can't reproduce a problem you can't try to fix a problem.

Thanks for your understanding!

tuleggi
New Cone
New Cone

Postby tuleggi » 05 Jun 2006 23:02

Ok,
actually they are 4k files in different subfolders.
I like to handle that music folder (including its subfolders) with VLC because it mantains the same structure I have created with windows explorer.

Really the 0.8.4a it is very very fast to open all that fles at once and more than that has no problem during the playback.
The 0.8.5 with the same setting and on the same system has this problem (very slow and playback problem, it dont respond), pls if you can try to check out im 100% sure it is a release problem (maybe some new feature added cause a conflict with this one?).

If I can help in some way I am available.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”