How to set deinterlace mode for stream/save?

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
NoAffinity
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

How to set deinterlace mode for stream/save?

Postby NoAffinity » 14 May 2006 06:22

First to give some background on what I am doing. I have an arcade cabinet, which is running an Xbox. I am capturing video via a RGBS->S-video converter, and audio directly from the Ultimarc adapter which converts the Xbox signals to those the cabinet (a.k.a JAMMA) are happy with. This capture goes through a Happauge WinTV-PVR USB2. I recently upgraded my PC (AMD-X2 3800+, ASRock 939Dual-SATA2, 1GB DDR400, 250GB WD SATAII hard drive) to accomodate capturing, encoding, etc...which I mention only for the fact that I don't know for sure if VLC 0.8.5 (current offical release) added support for my Happauge device, or if the fresh install of Windows and new hardware resolved an issue with the previous OS....but either way it works in VLC now, and I'm ecstatic!!!! :D I devised this setup in order to capture competitive Street Fighter games between myself and my friends (and maybe, hopefully someday, to capture a new high score in some obscure game, which will land me a spot in Twin Galaxies :p).

Okay, when I'm capturing, I'm getting...how's the best way to put this...very prominent scanlines around any sort of action. If any of you are familiar with the game Street Fighter (and I'm sure most of you are), I get prominent scanlines around fireballs, on the players when they're in "attack" animation, on background animation that involves "movement", just to give some examples. I chalk this up to the multiple conversions the video signal undergoes, just to get to the PC...and am not really too worried about the cause above and beyond that. What I have found, however, is VLC's deinterlace modes "mean" and "X" really smooth things out, in the live capture. In fact, I'll go as far as saying they make the image dramatically better. Now, I can save the stream, by means of transcoding, and include a "deinterlace" option in the transcode options line, and this does improve the resulting content greatly. I don't, however, know which deinterlace mode this is using, and comparing it the the mean and X modes that can be enabled for live viewing, it is not quite as good. so, myy question is: When entering the "deinterlace" option, within the transcode options, does this default to a particular mode...and if so, is there a way to change that default mode? And/or, is there a way to specify the mode from the options line?

And lastly, while this probably belongs in the "Feature Suggestion" department, I would like to request adding a "deinterlace" pull-down menu (or somesuch) within the "Stream/Save" menu...one that would apply any one of the available deinterlace modes to the saved stream.

Okay, sorry for the long-windedness. I felt I owed it, tho, as VLC is such an awesome program, and I would hope the developers are greatly interested in the many facets of technology and different aspects of usage that it reaches. :)

Any help appreciated. :) :)

NoAffinity
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby NoAffinity » 19 May 2006 00:38

I just stumbled across the solution. Under Preferences->Video->Filters->Deinterlace, there is an option for both default playback and default stream deinterlace mode.

sleeptown

Re: How to set deinterlace mode for stream/save?

Postby sleeptown » 27 May 2006 21:40

First to give some background on what I am doing. I have an arcade cabinet, which is running an Xbox. I am capturing video via a RGBS->S-video converter, and audio directly from the Ultimarc adapter which converts the Xbox signals to those the cabinet (a.k.a JAMMA) are happy with. This capture goes through a Happauge WinTV-PVR USB2. I recently upgraded my PC (AMD-X2 3800+, ASRock 939Dual-SATA2, 1GB DDR400, 250GB WD SATAII hard drive) to accomodate capturing, encoding, etc...which I mention only for the fact that I don't know for sure if VLC 0.8.5 (current offical release) added support for my Happauge device, or if the fresh install of Windows and new hardware resolved an issue with the previous OS....but either way it works in VLC now, and I'm ecstatic!!!! :D I devised this setup in order to capture competitive Street Fighter games between myself and my friends (and maybe, hopefully someday, to capture a new high score in some obscure game, which will land me a spot in Twin Galaxies :p).

Okay, when I'm capturing, I'm getting...how's the best way to put this...very prominent scanlines around any sort of action. If any of you are familiar with the game Street Fighter (and I'm sure most of you are), I get prominent scanlines around fireballs, on the players when they're in "attack" animation, on background animation that involves "movement", just to give some examples. I chalk this up to the multiple conversions the video signal undergoes, just to get to the PC...and am not really too worried about the cause above and beyond that. What I have found, however, is VLC's deinterlace modes "mean" and "X" really smooth things out, in the live capture. In fact, I'll go as far as saying they make the image dramatically better. Now, I can save the stream, by means of transcoding, and include a "deinterlace" option in the transcode options line, and this does improve the resulting content greatly. I don't, however, know which deinterlace mode this is using, and comparing it the the mean and X modes that can be enabled for live viewing, it is not quite as good. so, myy question is: When entering the "deinterlace" option, within the transcode options, does this default to a particular mode...and if so, is there a way to change that default mode? And/or, is there a way to specify the mode from the options line?

And lastly, while this probably belongs in the "Feature Suggestion" department, I would like to request adding a "deinterlace" pull-down menu (or somesuch) within the "Stream/Save" menu...one that would apply any one of the available deinterlace modes to the saved stream.

Okay, sorry for the long-windedness. I felt I owed it, tho, as VLC is such an awesome program, and I would hope the developers are greatly interested in the many facets of technology and different aspects of usage that it reaches. :)

Re: How to set deinterlace mode for stream/save?

Postby Guest » 29 May 2006 03:55

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”