Audio skipping during first 5-6 seconds of playback.

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
mltwitz
New Cone
New Cone

Audio skipping during first 5-6 seconds of playback.

Postby mltwitz » 04 May 2006 00:14

I just installed VLC for the first time and tested it (Version 0.8.4, stable). I have serious audio skipping/distortion problems during the first 5 or 6 seconds, after that the audio plays back just fine. This occurs when opening any file (video or audio). The video is fine, it's just the audio that skips. Any suggestions?

PS: I have Intervideo, Winamp, realaudio/quicktime alt. as well as Windows Media Player 10 installed on my machine, in case there are know conflicts that I am not aware of.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 04 May 2006 08:01

No known conflicts! VLC uses its own libraries to decode media files not direct show.

What does messages say?

You might check the date of your audio drivers. Should be later than Oct 04. May be smart to look for updates anyway.

You can try shutting down DirectX for audio in Preferences, Audio, Output modules from the pull down select "Win32 waveOut extensions output" then press Save and close the player.

mltwitz
New Cone
New Cone

Postby mltwitz » 18 May 2006 22:52

There is no error message, the audio just skips. I did select the Win32 waveOut extensions output, no change, still skips. I'm not sure where to check the date of my audio drivers, can you specify that, please.

This is so weird. I even re-installed VLC, nothing seems to help. HELP!

DGMurdockIII
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: y
Operating System: windows 10 64bit Pro

Re: Audio skipping during first 5-6 seconds of playback.

Postby DGMurdockIII » 08 Jul 2007 04:15

i get this too but thought he whole time i play my radio stream

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Re: Audio skipping during first 5-6 seconds of playback.

Postby DJ » 08 Jul 2007 09:10

@ mltwitz: Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager, Sound Video and Game Controllers, double click on (your audio card) and go to the Driver tab.

@ DGMurdockIII: Messages should show that the buffer is being created and destroyed or there is a general lack of sync to picture where the picture is always late. This is generally a connection issue where there is insufficient bandwidth.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”