Probleme de lecture avec un format wmv

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Tiri
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Probleme de lecture avec un format wmv

Postby Tiri » 16 May 2006 20:59

Bonjour,

J'ai un probleme de lecture de bandes annonces avec VLC 0.8.5 (mais surement aussi avec les versions precedentes).

Le format est wmv donc normalement lisible avec : de plus le stream ne fonctionne pas pour ces types de liens :

mms://a341.v09806.c980.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/341/980/v1/mediaplayer.allocine.fr/nmedia/18/36/19/96/18601303_fa1_vost_h.wmv

Et si je telecharge le fichier la lecture avec VLC est "fantaisiste" en effet je n'ai pas de probleme avec windows media player.

Quelqu'un aurait-il une idée de pourquoi ca me fait ca ?

Merci

Dunto
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Dunto » 16 May 2006 21:48

I would love to help. Unfortunately, I can't speak French (I recognize Bonjour and Merci and that's it). If you can give me something in English, I'll be glad to do what I can (http://freetranslation.com is blocked here). From what I gather from your screenshots, you're having a problem with subtitles. If you would rather wait for someone who can speak French, by all means, do it.

Tiri
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Tiri » 17 May 2006 18:06

No problem I speak a little english so I can can write a little too :-)

I've got problem with some wmv files found on allociné.fr there is the link in the first post.

You can see on the printscreen that there is a little problem reading them with vlc because I've got 4 windows which read the "film" so I want to know if there is a bug because I think wmv is a supported format in VLC. An d I want only one windows to read it. I've not activated specail features and with windows media player there's not any problems.

Waiting for your response I hope I don't make a lot of mistakes in this post ;-)

Dunto
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Dunto » 17 May 2006 21:14

VLC won't open those files but WMP can, right?

I tried them and ran into the same problem. I tried downloading them (so I could get some more information about them, such as codecs used, etc.) through HTTP, and got a playlist file. No problem, I thought, so I used my handy-dandy hex editor on it to get the file reference. Surprisingly, it was the same location as the original link that instead gave me the playlist. Opening it in WMP, pausing it and checking my cache, I grabbed the .dat file that WMP had open. However, VLC can't open this either (it should be the video file with a different extension). Upon inspection in a hex editor, the file informed me that the server it's hosted on uses a Windows Media streaming program (duh), but apparently this program blocks direct downloading of the file through the previously mentioned methods. Apparently it gives the file (streamed) to WMP only. Anything else gets the playlist used for the stream that points you right back where you started from.

Anyone else got any other ideas?

BTW, for anyone else reading this, I did use the "Open network location" and the "Open File" on the link above, with no success.

Tiri
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Tiri » 18 May 2006 18:11

Thank you very much Dunto for your explanation :wink:

I understand well what the problem is. And badly I think a temporary solution will be to use WMP... :?

"VLC won't open those files but WMP can, right?"
yes it's that.

"BTW, for anyone else reading this, I did use the "Open network location" and the "Open File" on the link above, with no success."
Me too and didn't work.

Dunto
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Dunto » 18 May 2006 18:21

If VLC could open and parse WMP playlists, then it would work. Maybe you should ask the devs about it. This particular playlist format is .wmx (never seen it before until now).

Tiri
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Tiri » 18 May 2006 18:43

Okay for the format I don't know it too.

But how I can ask the devs about that in this forum, or at an other place ? I don't know well how this forum is working.

Thank you

Dunto
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Dunto » 18 May 2006 18:48

Start a new thread under "Feature Requests" and say that you want VLC to be able to open WMP playlists, and if you want to, paste a link to this thread.

wam

Postby wam » 19 May 2006 00:43

just this to say that I've tried on Linux to see if WMP is really compulsory and it worked with mplayer.
Don't know if it help, but it may be a good idea to look at how they did it.

Dunto
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Dunto » 19 May 2006 16:12

I would suspect that is because Mplayer can parse WMP playlist files, because that's what the server sends to any non-WMP program.

Tiri
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Tiri » 21 May 2006 09:57

Okay I made the request :wink: Thank you

Postby Guest » 21 May 2006 18:51

I've the same problema as Tiri, with more precision.

The final "link" when you open every refers in every file is : mms://a341.v09806.c980.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/341/980/v1/mediaplayer.allocine.fr/nmedia/18/35/83/31/18406615_fa1_vf_h.wmv (for instance). And this file is openable by windows media player, but not only : i've successfully opened it with Bsplayer and Winamp. Why doesn't it work with VLC ? Does the dev team take care of it ? I don't think that's a big problem if other players read it easily...

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”