WMV, sound missing at begin

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
xerces8
Cone that earned his stripes

WMV, sound missing at begin

Postby xerces8 » 14 Mar 2006 10:47

With almost all WMV files, the sound is mssing at the begin of the movie.

For about a second, I see the picture, but no sound. Then the sound comes and plays OK until the end. It is in sync with the picture. Only the first one or two seconds are missing.
This happens with almost every WMV file.

I have VLC 0.8.4.a on WinXPpro-SP2.

Is this a known issue ?
What can I do ?

Regards,
xerces8

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 14 Mar 2006 23:09

I have experienced this from time to time with every type of file. It seems that when the file is not encoded properly (also depends on encoder vendor) or the file is cut to tight (not enough time to open correctly) is when this problem is manifested and it takes a moment for it to correct itself. I have not witnessed this problem specifically with WMV files.

:lol:

Postby Guest » 15 Mar 2006 09:54

Well, those files all play properly in WMP.
Especially with short videos, this is a serious problem, since half of the record is without sound.

xerces8

Postby xerces8 » 15 Mar 2006 15:52

(the above Guest message is mine)

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 16 Mar 2006 02:19

VLC supports WMV is only under Windows and uses the Windows codecs, one of the few exceptions for VLC. Considering what you are suggesting (that the codec recognition is slow (somehow doubtful)) you could try a later version to see if your issue has been resolved. All Digital Video is lock to Audio and generally doesn't start until the codecs and converters open and it has lock. But all commercial product gives the benefit of the doubt by providing a moment of silence or Black Screen to provide lock before the video or audio starts.

:lol:

xerces8

Postby xerces8 » 16 Mar 2006 09:46

???
I never suggested that codec recognition is slow.
I just stated, that the sound is missing at the begin of almost every WMV file.
You also stated, that it happens with other formats too.

I'll try a VLC beta as soon as I can.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 17 Mar 2006 22:45

???
I never suggested that codec recognition is slow.
I just stated, that the sound is missing at the begin of almost every WMV file.
You also stated, that it happens with other formats too.

I'll try a VLC beta as soon as I can.
You may not realize you did but you did! :lol:

In any event, the player time to open a codec is not relevant, what is relevant here is the codec time to open the converters and report it to the player and that you say WMP opens the file and plays without problem and in this case VLC is using the same codec. It is the codec that decides how and when to open the converters and lock the audio and video. However if the file is cut to close without allowing a moment for everything to gel and or lock, I have seen problems with almost every file type and almost every player even using the same codecs. The only resolve I know of, is during the editing and encoding process.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”