VLC very low volume on 5.1 rear speakers

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
JeremyP99
New Cone
New Cone

VLC very low volume on 5.1 rear speakers

Postby JeremyP99 » 22 Sep 2024 13:55

Everything set up for 5.1 in Audio preferences, simple and all. When I play a movie with 5.1, Dolby Surround is never an option, but with 5.1 audio it is. In both, however the rear speaker volume is too low to hear. When I use the Windows Sound CPL, the rear speakers ring loud and clear then tested

Windows 11 all up to date
VLC up to date
Sound card - Xonar U5, all set up for 5.1 and the volume display shows the rear speakers working.

Trying some other audio players, AIMP uses the rear speakers just fine. However, it has no media server access capability and does not play videos. But it suggest that there is a real problem with VLC as above.

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Re: VLC very low volume on 5.1 rear speakers

Postby Lotesdelere » 23 Sep 2024 12:29

What kind of file are you trying to play ?
Does it occur with any 5.1 file ?

We need the full messages log, from the very beginning to the very end. Please open Tools -> Messages (set Verbosity to 2) before you start the playback, keep the messages window open during the whole process and then paste the full resulting log here or on Pastebin.com or on Justpaste.it if it's too long.

Also upload a short sample of your original problematic file to WeTransfer.com or Disroot.org and then post the link to the file here.
https://wetransfer.com
https://upload.disroot.org

JeremyP99
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLC very low volume on 5.1 rear speakers

Postby JeremyP99 » 26 Sep 2024 10:40

Oh bloody hell. Posted the full request and it's been dumped as I'd been logged out. Sorry, will use another media player that works.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”