vlc randomly crashes even on a fresh format

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
brigas
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

vlc randomly crashes even on a fresh format

Postby brigas » 21 Apr 2024 04:17

since Ive bought this laptop I've had this problem

after research it seems the same as these ppl are reporting, even years ago:
https://www.reddit.com/r/VLC/comments/g ... ullscreen/

vlc randomly "hangs" my pc when i come out of full screen, or if im scrubbing

when I say hang, I mean the cursor still moves, audio still plays, but not the video
pressing ctrl alt del, or ctrl shift esc, alt tab, clicking or pressing esc does not work, the mouse icon changes but nothing comes up
the audio will keep playing until finally it is silenced.
The only way to recover from this hang is to forcefully shut down the laptop

I am on a fresh install of windows 10, vlc latest version downloaded from the official site

12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700H 2.30 GHz
32.0 GB RAM
GTX1650

my intel graphics driver is the latest on intel site, intel arc & xe graphics 5444

on the same day that Ive just formatted the pc it already happens

any advice would be welcome

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Re: vlc randomly crashes even on a fresh format

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 21 Apr 2024 05:29

VLC can only crash its own self, not the entire Windows. This must be a problem with kernel mode stuff such as device drivers. It could also be a hardware fault though that seems far less likely.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

brigas
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby brigas » 21 Apr 2024 06:09

VLC can only crash its own self, not the entire Windows. This must be a problem with kernel mode stuff such as device drivers. It could also be a hardware fault though that seems far less likely.
can you give me some advice please, what should I do to prevent this? My drivers are all default from windows update, except the graphics driver which I downloaded the latest.

which drivers should i be looking at?

It was like this ever since I got the laptop, for reference its a clevo NP70PNH

no other such problems with any other apps, never crashed for any other reason

have fully formatted the pc around 3 times, and on every install this problem existed throughout

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 21 Apr 2024 08:31

If it's only through VLC, most likely display drivers are at fault, but this is really not the right place to enquire/ascertain.
Rémi Denis-Courmont

brigas
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby brigas » 21 Apr 2024 11:09

If it's only through VLC, most likely display drivers are at fault, but this is really not the right place to enquire/ascertain.
yes it only happens with vlc, specifically when double clicking to come out of full screen, and sometimes when scrubbing also

how can I even get logs of what went wrong?

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 21 Apr 2024 13:32

Again, this is not the right place to ask. Nobody here knows how to get logs for your display drivers.
Rémi Denis-Courmont

brigas
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby brigas » 21 Apr 2024 13:57

Again, this is not the right place to ask. Nobody here knows how to get logs for your display drivers.
i dont get it, if the problem is caused by vlc, why is it the wrong place? what is the right place to ask about vlc problems?

if I go somewhere else they will just tell me that its a vlc problem (since its caused by vlc) and then i will be back here

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 21 Apr 2024 14:45

If your computer doesn't start because there is no electricity, do you ask for help for the computer shop or the electricity distributor?

You have to be realistic here. VLC proper cannot cause a crash like you've described, and VideoLAN cannot give you info we don't have as to how to debug your computer system.

Maybe your computer or GPU vendor will not help, and maybe they will deflect responsibility, but that doesn't change the fact that VideoLAN can't help you debug your drivers.
Rémi Denis-Courmont

brigas
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby brigas » 21 Apr 2024 15:24

If your computer doesn't start because there is no electricity, do you ask for help for the computer shop or the electricity distributor?

You have to be realistic here. VLC proper cannot cause a crash like you've described, and VideoLAN cannot give you info we don't have as to how to debug your computer system.

Maybe your computer or GPU vendor will not help, and maybe they will deflect responsibility, but that doesn't change the fact that VideoLAN can't help you debug your drivers.
thank you for your help, then as a last word, could you explain to me in a way that is easy to understand, as if you were talking to someone who is not literate on tech:

if vlc cannot cause the problem, why does the problem happen with vlc?

can you make some sort of analogy?

what is vlc doing (that is considered non problematic behaviour), to trigger display drivers into causing the laptop to hang/crash?

is there some setting in vlc that I can tune that would stop vlc to overburden the drivers, or to overreach in such a way that a faulty driver cannot handle it?

thanks for your attention, it is appreciated

brigas
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby brigas » 23 Apr 2024 15:43

any final insights?

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 24 Apr 2024 12:40

Try another video output module:
http://wiki.videolan.org/WindowsFAQ-2.0 ... _output.3F

And/or try another audio output module:
http://wiki.videolan.org/WindowsFAQ-2.0 ... _anomalies

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”