Playlist rows get huge if files with long comments are at the top

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
LordLiverpool
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Playlist rows get huge if files with long comments are at the top

Postby LordLiverpool » 06 Jan 2024 18:01

On 3.0.20, and in previous versions too, it seems that when certain audio files are at the top of my podcast playlist, all playlist rows become enormous. I'd always noticed that it happened every so often, and deleting one of the files reverted the row size back to normal, but I'd never found a reproducible case until now. It seems to happen oddly, with episodes of the Astronomy Cast podcast when they are at the top of the list. I have a playlist file saved (the effect works whether or not the file is present) and a couple of screenshots, but I can't work out how to attach either.

My screen is 4k, with no specific compatibility options activated.

The specific Astronomy Cast episode that caused it this time was "Ep. 700: The Things We Got Wrong", but the couple of subsequent ones seem to do it too.

I also think I know why it happens. The Astronomy Cast mp3s have extra-long comments, specifically this episode has the following comment:

"Astronomy Cast Ep. 700: The Things We Got Wrong
by Fraser Cain & Dr. Pamela Gay
Streamed live on Nov 27, 2023.
Astronomers talk about all the amazing discoveries they’re making but sometimes, it turns out, they were wrong. After decades and centuries of discoveries, how have they changed their minds?

This video was made possible by the following Patreon members:
Jordan Young
Stephen Veit
Jeanette Wink
Siggi Kemmler
Andrew Poelstra
Ed
BogieNet
Brian Cagle
David Truog
Gerhard Schwarzer
David
Nicholas Cunningham
THANK YOU! - Fraser and Dr. Pamela"

If you delete the comment, all rows revert to normal size (this is odd because there's no comment column in the playlist). In fact, the row size seems proportional to the lines in the comment of the first podcast file.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”