VLC and resetting audio

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
vlcftw
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

VLC and resetting audio

Postby vlcftw » 29 Dec 2023 04:01

Before I re-installed Win10 VLC reset audio to 200% no matter whatever it was when closed VLC but now it won't save anything higher than 125% so how do I change that?

Also on fresh install of VLC videos had green bar at bottom of them with default settings but after changing to video output to OpenGL green bat vanished (haven't switched back to automatic).

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Re: VLC and resetting audio

Postby Lotesdelere » 29 Dec 2023 18:19

Menu Tools -> Preferences (Show settings = All) -> Interface -> Main interfaces -> Qt
Then on the right panel scroll down to the bottom and set Maximum Volume Displayed to 200.
Save, exit and restart VLC for the change to take effect.

vlcftw
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby vlcftw » 29 Dec 2023 20:27

Menu Tools -> Preferences (Show settings = All) -> Interface -> Main interfaces -> Qt
Then on the right panel scroll down to the bottom and set Maximum Volume Displayed to 200.
Save, exit and restart VLC for the change to take effect.
Well that I got by myself but still when I set max volume in settings to 200 and save and go back to settings it has been reset to 125. If I set it on lower it saves but if higher than 125 then no saving instead it's set on that 125.

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 30 Dec 2023 16:14

And that's good for your speakers and your ears.
There is absolutely no good reason for always playing anything over the 100% limit on a regular basis, you should turn the app volume down and push up the volume of your amp/speakers.

vlcftw
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby vlcftw » 30 Dec 2023 20:32

Ans that's good for your speakers and your ears.
There is absolutely no good reason for always playing anything over the 100% limit on a regular basis, you should turn the app volume down and push up the volume of your amp/speakers.
Yes I know that (saw your post about same subject on version 3.0.3) but my windows audio level and tv level (internal speakers at bottom) are set on 15 so quite a low. It's just bit extra work to get audio to 200, Windows audio is set at 15 which is high enough.

So to get VLC audio reset to 200 on closing up I'd have to install old version (2.x) and then update to 3.20. Seems silly.

Why even allow to set it at 200 since can't save it?

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 02 Jan 2024 11:22

Why even allow to set it at 200 since can't save it?

As I said, for the safety of your speakers and your ears.

vlcftw
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby vlcftw » 03 Jan 2024 01:15

As I said, for the safety of your speakers and your ears.
Well I have had it on 200 since I started using VLC long ago and if sound is too high I lower it.

My hearing is just fine even after using VLC at 200 for many years.

Current soundsystem too (mostly but that's fault isn't due VLC).

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”