AMD Adrenaline 23.12.1 interferes with VLC

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Celador
New Cone
New Cone

AMD Adrenaline 23.12.1 interferes with VLC

Postby Celador » 13 Dec 2023 01:37

I didn’t have any issues before updating adrenaline to recent version yesterday but now whenever adrenaline is opened - VLC seems to takes much longer to open, on top of completely halting anything else that might be going on.

If you simply open vlc window on boot - it works fine, but if you close it and try playing any videos, then close the window and try opening it again - it takes forever and windows become unresponsive, to the point where even ctrl+alt+del stalls until vlc opens. Folders or programs wont open or close, right mouse menu shows “loading” on adrenaline/console entries, clicking on sounds or notifications also doesn’t do anything until vlc opens.

I have tried various settings in vlc (output devices, hardware acceleration etc) and in adrenaline (desktop recording, tuning etc) but only physically closing adrenaline from task manager fixes the issue, until adrenaline auto-restarts.

Any ideas why this might be happening?

Also made videos of the issue:

https://youtu.be/O12lR32kjn0

https://youtu.be/dWA1ibqbk54

Cel
New Cone
New Cone

Re: AMD Adrenaline 23.12.1 interferes with VLC

Postby Cel » 21 Dec 2023 20:19

Just to update - managed to fix this by using AMD cleanup tool, then installing beta drivers from here:

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/relea ... ch-preview

Celador
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Celador » 22 Dec 2023 02:42

Aaaaand returned again after playing a few games. No idea at this point.

Goddamnit01
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Goddamnit01 » 09 Jan 2024 21:46

Same exact issue here. Couldn't have said it better myself.

I noticed this after refreshing my system last week and installing AMD adrenaline on this go around. I was using the PRO drivers previously with zero issues out of vlc.

I'll be scraping adrenaline drivers and reinstalling PRO. Will update if this situation improves.

Goddamnit01
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Goddamnit01 » 10 Jan 2024 03:04

Ran some tests. Hopefully this helps.

Default VLC settings
Video/audio files utilized from both SSD and HDD's for all scenarios. 4K &1080.
Windows 10 and VLC installed on samsung NVMe
Ryzen 5 7600x - RX580

Cleaned adrenaline from my rig and reinstalled a slightly older version 23.11.1. Initial test showed vlc taking 15 seconds to start the first time its initialized. However any subsequent times are almost instantaneous.

Decided to bump up to 23.12.1 to see if the issue morphed. The good and bad news is that vlc still takes 15 seconds to open but only the first time.

Cleaned adrenaline again and installed PRO. SAME issue persisted.

Cleaned Pro and went back to adrenaline 23.12.1 since there was no appreciable difference.

I understand that some programs may take a bit longer to initialize the first time but this feels far to long for such a lightweight program. Its not like im not going to run a driver so I consider this acceptable, for now.

Side notes :
If the pc goes to sleep vlc once again acts like it is initializing for the first time even if it was previously started.
VLC is quite literally lightning fast without drivers installed.

Any thoughts on how to improve this?

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”