VLC RTX video upscale function does not work

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
VeNLooP
New Cone
New Cone

VLC RTX video upscale function does not work

Postby VeNLooP » 03 Nov 2023 14:43

I am using an Nvidia 3090 RTX graphics card with correctly activated RTX video upscaling on my Windows 11 system.
The RTX video upscaling function also works perfectly on YouTube and in the MS Edge browser, but unfortunately not with the installed VLC player (3.0.19 or 3.0.20).
I have not found a way to activate the RTX video upscaling function in the advanced settings of the VLC player, and now I don't know what to do and need your help to solve the problem.

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Re: VLC RTX video upscale function does not work

Postby Lotesdelere » 03 Nov 2023 18:37

AFAIK the only (experimental) build which supports Super Resolution is this one:
https://downloads.videolan.org/testing/ ... -upscaler/

VeNLooP
New Cone
New Cone

Postby VeNLooP » 03 Nov 2023 20:21

I have already tried this, but unfortunately the RTX video upscaling did not work with this version either.
Something is blocking the RTX video upscaling function from starting when a clip is started via the VLC player.

Migrax
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Migrax » 04 Nov 2023 12:00

The VLC setting is well hidden. Tools --> Preferences --> All (radio button, bottom left) --> Video --> Output Modules --> Direct3D 11. Here yon can choose "Super Resolution" as video upscaling mode. You may have to update your GeForce driver as well. If it works, I hope it won't freeze your video. For me it does (with the nVidia 546.01 studio driver), so I am still using the RTX build from April.

VeNLooP
New Cone
New Cone

Postby VeNLooP » 04 Nov 2023 17:04

I have already tried that, but as soon as I activate the "super resolution" in the VLC player, I only get a black picture when playing videos, and closing the VLC player is then only possible via the task manager.

stevefoobar
New Cone
New Cone

Postby stevefoobar » 10 Nov 2023 01:52

I'm not having any luck using VLC to upscale video either. It's not obvious what, if any advanced settings are necessary.

I'm simply using the Media, Convert/Save, dragging and dropping my video clip, clicking on Convert, clicking on Create a new profile, selecting the correct and seemingly obvious settings for the Encapsulation (MP4/MOV), Video codec (H-264), Bitrate of 28,000 kbps, Resolution (Scale:1, Frame size 3840 x 2160), Audio codec (keep original audio track), then selecting my output folder and clicking Start. It runs very quickly but always produces an unusable, highly pixelated video. And oddly the video it produces is always much smaller in size than the original video. For example in a recent test to upscale 1080p video to 2160p video, the original file is 63 MB but the VLC converted file is 3 MB.

I have not tried to change any of the advanced settings under Tools, Preferences, Show settings: All, Video, Output modules. I don't even understand these advanced settings.
Steve V.
California, USA

hudeman
New Cone
New Cone

Postby hudeman » 11 Nov 2023 18:32

Having the same issue as VenLoop when I turn super resolution on in the DirectX11 settings. I restart VLC for it to take effect, but I only get a black screen plus audio, and then VLC window closes when I X out of it but it stays open until I kill it in the task manager. I'm on Windows 10 using Nvidia driver version 546.01

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”