VLC 4 Oct 10th nightly breaks immediately upon starting w/o video or entering media queue window

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
mmlac
New Cone
New Cone

VLC 4 Oct 10th nightly breaks immediately upon starting w/o video or entering media queue window

Postby mmlac » 27 Oct 2023 09:49

I downloaded the nightly .exe on Windows 11 and did a "fresh" install (I deleted the entire VLC folder, as the "Uninstall VLC" just crashed / didn't do anything).

As soon as I start VLC, the setup dialogue pops up and VLC instantly crashes. I am not able to find any crash logs. Starting vlc.exe -v 2 just thinks I want to play "2" as well and -v2 complains about not finding a plugin, so I am unsure how to get higher verbosity or crash logs without building the nightly myself with debugging enabled.
Now if I start VLC through playing a video, e.g. vlc.exe "myVideo.mp4", it plays the video just fine. As soon as it ends the video and VLC goes back to the queue / media list window, it crashes again.
I also enabled the Tools > Messages and set it to (1) Warning while the video was playing and watched if anything popped up when the video ended and the media screen popped back up and caused VLC to crash. I did not see any messages before VLC crashed.

I tracked it down to the build from Oct 10th breaking it. Oct 9th starts without issue and lets me complete the setup screens and then add videos to the queue and play them without issues. Oct 10th up to today's nightly causes these instant crashes for me.
I saw that some of the UI elements were changed on the 10th, but I don't know enough to figure out what commit exactly could have caused this.

Any help is appreciated for me to provide more useful information in a GitLab issue, or suggesting I post my findings as-is to GitLab (still awaiting account approval).

Thanks

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Re: Oct 10th nightly breaks immediately upon starting w/o video or entering media queue window

Postby Lotesdelere » 28 Oct 2023 12:33

Can you use a more recent nightly build like this one ? :
https://artifacts.videolan.org/vlc-3.0/ ... 1019-0220/

perzaklie
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Oct 10th nightly breaks immediately upon starting w/o video or entering media queue window

Postby perzaklie » 28 Oct 2023 15:26

Same here.
Now here is the interesting thing:
I have two desktops
One has Windows 10 Pro, the other has Windows 10 Home. The issue with 3.0.19 is only on the PC with Home. Pro works fine with 3.0.19.
Further, I tried opening the exact same .mp4 file with both PCs.
The video will play for about 2 seconds then crash on the Windows 10 Home PC.

On the Home PC, I did the following:
First I did the update and the problem started.
Next I uninstalled 3.0.19 and downloaded a clean copy.
I installed the new downloaded copy and same. I did this three times.
I cleared cache, cleaned temp files, rebooted before and after each new install.
The only solution was to uninstall and install 3.0.14.

Any help from Videolan, please?

mmlac
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLC 4 Oct 10th nightly breaks immediately upon starting w/o video or entering media queue window

Postby mmlac » 28 Oct 2023 21:25

Can you use a more recent nightly build like this one ? :
https://artifacts.videolan.org/vlc-3.0/ ... 1019-0220/
Sorry that I wasn't clarifying which nightly I meant, I mean the 4.0 / master branch nightlies found here: https://artifacts.videolan.org/vlc/nightly-win64/

The nightly from today still has the same issue, I start it and it immediately crashes. 10/9 is the last stable one.

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Re: VLC 4 Oct 10th nightly breaks immediately upon starting w/o video or entering media queue window

Postby Lotesdelere » 30 Oct 2023 11:56

OK I've edited the title of the thread accordingly.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”