Open Folder With

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
rh100
New Cone
New Cone

Open Folder With

Postby rh100 » 13 May 2008 04:32

I want to add an "Open Folder With VLC" option to the drop down list that appears when you right click on any folder in XP Explore. I want to view the vob files in any folder inside the folder I right click on and select " Open Folder With VLC" as a working DVD movie on my computer. Would I edit registration or settings on VLC?
All help appreciated.

Thanks

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: Open Folder With

Postby VLC_help » 13 May 2008 13:38

Current VLC versions don't have any build-in association features so you have to either edit registry or use Windows explorers file association thingy.

rh100
New Cone
New Cone

Postby rh100 » 13 May 2008 15:57

Can anyone tell me how to add this command (Open Folder With VLC) to the registry in Windows XP so that when I right click on any folder this command will appear in the popup list of commands and the folder will be opened using VLC when I select the command?

Thanks!

Arite
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.20
Operating System: Debian Testing|Win10

Postby Arite » 13 May 2008 16:50

The current version of VLC, with Context Menus ticked in the installer, should display a "Play with VLC media player" context menu to when a folder is right clicked in VLC (not for HDDs/DVD-ROM drives though). This works in a the same/similar to the "File >> Open Directory..." dialog box does in VLC. If you do not see that when right-clicking a folder try reinstalling VLC with "Context Menus" ticked and restart Windows.

If you still cannot see "Play with VLC media player" then you could try adding this registry key (**I recommend backing up your registry first just in case**):

Code: Select all

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\PlayWithVLC] @="Play with VLC media player" [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\PlayWithVLC\command] @="C:\\Program Files\\VideoLAN\\VLC\\vlc.exe --started-from-file --no-playlist-enqueue \"%1\""
Copy the contents to a text file and save it as e.g. "vlc.reg". Then dobule click the *.reg file and it should ask if you want to add the key to the Registry etc.

Then when you right on any folder (including Hard Drives/CD-ROM drives etc.) you should see "Play with VLC media player". If you want you could replace "@="Play with VLC media player"" with e.g. "@="Open with VLC media player".

The registry entry above will override the "Play with VLC media player" context menu assigned by VLC's NSIS installer since the key is named the same. If you don't want it to override the VLC one just change the key name to e.g. "PlayWithVLC2".

Cheers, Arite
Don't use PMs for support questions.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 13 May 2008 18:05

Fixing the NSIS installer is easy :D

Please provide me a patch.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Arite
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Arite » 13 May 2008 18:41

Well there doesn't seem to be any problems with the Context Menus in the NSIS installer since the "Play with VLC media player" context menu for folders is already there for Directories, and there are autoplay handlers for CD/DVDs etc.

From what I can see the registry key above, which is adding the command to "Folder", is just a crude method of assigning the "PlayWithVLC" file command to all Directories/Drives. The NSIS script instead adds to the shell entries for "AudioCD", "DVD" and "Directory" which are presumably subsets of "Folder" - hence why it overrides the other "PlayWithVLC" commands.

Arite.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 13 May 2008 20:31

Patches are welcome :D
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

rh100
New Cone
New Cone

Postby rh100 » 14 May 2008 02:18

I don't know anything about "ticking" Context Menus or NSIS installers. All I know is that before Arite gave me the registry patch, the program could not open any folder in Explore and with the patch, it can.

THANKS ARITE!

Arite
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Arite » 14 May 2008 02:33

You welcome :D.

The NSIS installer is just the installer in the *.exe version of VLC. In the installer wizard there is a page/section called "Choose Components" where "Context Menus" can be ticked.

However if it is working with the registry patch above then that should be fine too :).

Cheers, Arite.

rh100
New Cone
New Cone

Postby rh100 » 14 May 2008 02:56

Arite,

Something weird is going on. When I right click on the folder the movie is in the VLC starts the movie but the box pictured below appears in front of the movie right after the movie starts and VLC only plays the introduction vob and goes back to the box pictured below after that and doesn't play the movie vobs and the program closes.

Arite
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Arite » 14 May 2008 03:17

Well the registry key is exactly the same as VLC's Directory Context Menu one so shouldn't be realted to that.

Does the directory containing the *.vob files have any *.ifo files (presumbably does based on your screenshot)? Are you able to select any Title/Menus/Chapters from the "Navigation" menu in VLC?

Try resetting your preferences and cache files.

Arite.

rh100
New Cone
New Cone

Postby rh100 » 14 May 2008 03:32

Arite,

Some movies play well and others don't. I can only assume that some of the movie files I have are bad.
Thanks for you help.

wul62
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby wul62 » 10 Sep 2023 09:19

The current version of VLC, with Context Menus ticked in the installer, should display a "Play with VLC media player" context menu to when a folder is right clicked in VLC (not for HDDs/DVD-ROM drives though). This works in a the same/similar to the "File >> Open Directory..." dialog box does in VLC. If you do not see that when right-clicking a folder try reinstalling VLC with "Context Menus" ticked and restart Windows.

If you still cannot see "Play with VLC media player" then you could try adding this registry key (**I recommend backing up your registry first just in case**):

Code: Select all

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\PlayWithVLC] @="Play with VLC media player" [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\PlayWithVLC\command] @="C:\\Program Files\\VideoLAN\\VLC\\vlc.exe --started-from-file --no-playlist-enqueue \"%1\""
Copy the contents to a text file and save it as e.g. "vlc.reg". Then dobule click the *.reg file and it should ask if you want to add the key to the Registry etc.

Then when you right on any folder (including Hard Drives/CD-ROM drives etc.) you should see "Play with VLC media player". If you want you could replace "@="Play with VLC media player"" with e.g. "@="Open with VLC media player".

The registry entry above will override the "Play with VLC media player" context menu assigned by VLC's NSIS installer since the key is named the same. If you don't want it to override the VLC one just change the key name to e.g. "PlayWithVLC2".

Cheers, Arite

@Arite

Up front... I know ... this is a verrry old thread.
(I have been using an alternative player for a long time as previous versions of VLC were regularly posing problems. Just re-started using VLC again)

Would like to thank you for the above registry patch, that I can use to play DVD folders from HDD with VLC portable.

THANKS!

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”