Screen resoultion makes controls and menu too small

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
4mc
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Screen resoultion makes controls and menu too small

Postby 4mc » 10 May 2023 00:48

Yes, we're working on it.
NOT GOOD ENOUGH!! It's December 2022 and I can barely use a service I've been using for over a decade because YOU haven't figured out how to make the text big enough to read! Pathetic, there are a lot of other services out there, why stay with VLC when you can't get your sh*t straight? HOW HARD IS IT TO INCREASE A FONT SIZE???
AGREE
While I can understand your frustration, this isn't how free software works. If it doesn't do what you want you have some choices.

1. Suck it up and put up with it.
2. Offer to fix the problem yourself http://www.videolan.org/contribute/
3. Make sure none of the suggested fixes work for you.
4. Buy or use replacement software.

Getting angry doesn't help fix the software.

I came here because I have the problem. I too was surprised there had been a thread open on it since 2017. However, I carefully read through the suggestions and found that changing the app compatibility settings worked for me.

My desktop is a landscape 3840 x 2160 and portrait 1200 x 1920 monitor and VLC gets confused switching between the two.

VLC is a great app and I've been using it for probably close to 20-years rather than use Microsoft bloatware.

toshiki
New Cone
New Cone

Postby toshiki » 28 Jul 2023 17:22

Today after a restart of the computer, everything apart from the video itself in VLC becomes tiny on my 4k monitor, which is connected to a Surface device. If I move the VLC window to the surface device then it becomes normal.

Changing the compatibility is obviously not ideal since it makes everything blurry. The thing is that it worked well for several weeks. Reinstalling the app while deleting all preferences doesn't help.

joefiesta
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby joefiesta » 24 Sep 2023 19:28

that link to imgur is useless. You can not see the entire screen shot. there are no instructions. and, on vlc 3.0.11 in windows 10, checking that DPI (something) box does NOTHING.

On older versions, there was a ZOOM parameter in the VLC RC (settings) file. But, VLC changed it
back every time VLC was closed. Back in older, 32-bit version, like 2.2.6, I used to automate changing the VLC RC zoom parameter every time I ran VLC.exe. The zoom parameter is still there, but it now appears to do nothing. It was a parameter that specified the "zoom" (really the FONT) for the playlist. (Note: it was not a FONT SIZE parameter, per se. It was something like 1, 2, 4, 6 or 8 or something. I used to use 4.)

This on-going situation is ridiculous. But, sadly, it's the best video player I've found. Windows media player is a frigging joke.

Joe P

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”