VLC player doesn't prevent PC from going to sleep mode

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Nabukodonosor
New Cone
New Cone

VLC player doesn't prevent PC from going to sleep mode

Postby Nabukodonosor » 14 Sep 2021 17:03

Hey guys. So, I have the latest version of VLC player on my Windows 7 x64 machine. I use MPC-HC and VLC, one for h264 and the other for h265 material. I don't have issues with MPC, I can watch movies for hours, and the PC would never go in the sleep mode. But when I use VLC player, my PC goes to sleep mode after 20 minutes (this is set up in Windows settings). The "Disable screensaver" option is checked. Any ideas?

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Re: VLC player doesn't prevent PC from going to sleep mode

Postby Lotesdelere » 15 Sep 2021 12:09

There are few other reports saying the same thing but I have no idea where the problem lies since I can't reproduce the issue.
Maybe a some driver issue ? Because of some other device ?

Nabukodonosor
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Nabukodonosor » 15 Sep 2021 12:49

There's no way I can know that. VLC is the only player that has this issue, so I think it's something with it that needs fixing.

pzich
New Cone
New Cone

Postby pzich » 19 May 2022 03:22

I still frequently encounter this issue, and it also only happens with VLC and not other media players.

From what I can tell, this usually happens when I double-click a media file in Explorer and it starts automatically playing. It seems that if I explicitly pause and play after opening the media, the screensaver properly disables.

triX
New Cone
New Cone

Postby triX » 28 May 2023 21:37

The issue seems to occur when VLC is opened first and videos are added to the playlist but does not happen when a file is double clicked and the video plays after.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”