Surround sound question.

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
4k3or3et
New Cone
New Cone

Surround sound question.

Postby 4k3or3et » 19 Jan 2023 14:47

Hi All,

I have Logitech Z906 surround system connected via optical cable. It works fine as long as movie audio is encoded in DTS or AC3 as those are the only two formats that my system can handle in terms of true 5.1 surround sound. So for example if I want to watch movie with Dolby Atmos i get sound only on 2 speakers (yes, I can upmix that to 3D mode which is some sort of fake 5.1 but that is not the true 5.1 effect, just emulation of that).

My question is:

Is there any way to force VLC to some sort of convert the audio in the fly from not supported by my sound system format and output it using always DTS or Dolby Digital?

ExtincT
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 3.0.18
Operating System: Windows

Re: Surround sound question.

Postby ExtincT » 19 Jan 2023 18:57

Do you have installed all drivers for 5.1 surround ? Some of them is unsupported in newer version of windows (If you have old hardware), but you might try to download it first from official sites.
Also , try to go on preferences>all>inputs/codecs>DCA in submenu and enable it. If this not works, go to sound>output units>DirectX and change speakers from windows default to 5.1.
Both of them, might work. :)

4k3or3et
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Surround sound question.

Postby 4k3or3et » 22 Jan 2023 12:55

Unfortunately that does not do the trick.

As i mentioned I have speakers connected via optical cable so the signal is going digital to the speakers and speakers do the job of decoding that. Speakers do not support enchanced AC3 nor Dobly Atmos.

Is there any way to force VLC to output sound in older DTS or DD formats?

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”